0.113: Automations & Scripts, and even more performance!

Hardly. It’s called a typo.

First of all, if you are running a Home Assistant OS, Container or Supervised installation, this then your Home Assistant instance will run on Python 3.8. No action from your end is needed for this.

at the moment, I have to use timer, and write its value to input text. After restart, read the input text and modify the timer value for it to resume. if we could achieve that with delay, it will shorten lots of my automation. or, a timer with option to resume upon restart, without manually writing a script.

1 Like

I know. I’m excited to try it out. I had an automation a while back that would mute my sonos for 15 seconds whenever my harmony activity started. Mainly because sometimes it would start on the previous activity and sound from the TV for example would play for 5 seconds or so as my harmony made it’s way through my activiy settings. Problem is it didn’t work because the harmony did not update until afterwards.

So for me it will be
Harmony activity with sound starts
mute sound for 15 seconds
unmute

I appreciate the work made on the automation side of things, but sometimes I wonder if all automation should be left to other platforms like Node-RED.

2 Likes

Why ?
Yaml is as close to native as you can get, It doesn’t require an addon and thus hardly ever breaks on an update.
I’ve never felt the need to go the NodeRed Route

14 Likes

I have never required the extra layer of node red for any automations. Most of which are quite complex. I don’t begrudge your use of it, but it is far from the be-all-end-all.

10 Likes

Will correct it, thanks for reporting it.

2 Likes

You guys are making it very difficult to resist .0 releases while I am 5000km away from home.

10 Likes

Another awesome looking release, looking forward to getting it installed! I’m glad to see automations getting a lot more “power tools.” Previously, you had to go to AppDaemon and Node-Red to use some of the more advanced logical constructs, and while those are fantastic tools, they aren’t for everyone. Having more of these options built right in by default is going to open up a lot of possibilities for newer users and those who might not consider themselves programmers.

Yeah, this a nice one for me too. I’ve had a longstanding to-do item to create a convoluted process in AppDaemon to manually update the sensor at the time the harmony service call was made. Glad I procrastinated and don’t have to do it now. :joy:

1 Like

I am curious how the bond intergration works. I have so many scripts controlling my bond right now. I notice it doesn’t include lights in description which are attached to the fans. I also wonder if it polls for state as right now I am doing that with booleans.

I get that some automations may be easier to implement in HA than in Node-RED, but the latter is much more powerful and once it seems that every new update to automations in HA is just playing catch-up with NodeRED. I can’t think of one thing that HA can do that Node-RED can’t, but can’t say the same the other way around.
My point was about spending the effort developing something when there’s a complementary platform that can already handle all automations. But anyway, I’m glad automations are getting some love.

Not if you have a handle on jinja.

3 Likes

Well it cannot do device automations for starters :slight_smile:

4 Likes

sure, but the same end-result can be achieved in other ways. You strike me as a Node-RED fan too so there’s no point in arguing about it. If you guys think spending cycles developing and enhancing automations is worth it then you must be right.

I love both platforms and I want to thank you for the work you do. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for this release, it really is fantastic. 112 was as well. Lots of really great work that leads to real improvements.

The new automation/script issues have significantly allowed me to cut down on lines of yaml which helps maintenance, fragility, and the all important WAC. I may get a nice steak and XX on Saturday night thanks to the dev team :wink:

Hi, Just upgraded. Cool features introduced with this release, but please help me to find the repeat function. I cannot see it under “action”. Thanks

Edit: from the release notes

Before we start with this all, please note, that the action part of an automation is a script sequence .

1 Like

Great update devs! Only thing I noticed is I had the custom theme Google Dark Theme for the backend and now everything is appearing as white. Anyone else running this theme and know how to fix?

Ah ok, thanks! :+1:t2:

Read the breaking changes.

The theme variable paper-card-background-color is removed. You can use ha-card-background or card-background-color as a replacement.

In general, all variables that start with paper will be removed at some point.

4 Likes