0.65.6 update has broke my HA

So I’ve just tried to update to 0.65.6 with my normal scripts and HA doesn’t start back up again.

Upon running the update process manually via SHH to my pi3, I’m greeted with a lot of red text during the uninstall process.

I don’t know what is going on, or what has changed, but something is broken, and now HA will not start.

Installing collected packages: homeassistant
  Found existing installation: homeassistant 0.65.5
    Uninstalling homeassistant-0.65.5:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/shutil.py", line 544, in move
    os.rename(src, real_dst)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.65.5.dist-info/RECORD' -> '/tmp/pip-rpdd36vh-uninstall/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.65.5.dist-info/RECORD'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 342, in run
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 778, in install
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 754, in uninstall
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_uninstall.py", line 115, in remove
    renames(path, new_path)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 267, in renames
    shutil.move(old, new)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/shutil.py", line 559, in move
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.65.5.dist-info/RECORD'

and this is what I get when I start HA then check the status via systemctl

[email protected] - Home Assistant
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/[email protected]; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-03-23 00:34:20 AEDT; 1min 19s ago
  Process: 1398 ExecStart=/srv/homeassistant/bin/hass -c /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 1398 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Mar 23 00:34:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Home Assistant.
Mar 23 00:34:20 raspberrypi systemd[1398]: [email protected]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /srv/homeassistant/bin/hass: No such file or directory
Mar 23 00:34:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Mar 23 00:34:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 23 00:34:20 raspberrypi systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

OK, so I seem to have fixed the issue. No idea what it was, but after a lot of stuffing around, I ended up renaming 2 different directories to something different (I just added -TMP onto the end).




after renaming these, I re-ran the update, but instead, I downgraded back to 0.65.5 and it installed fine and is now up and running again with my config.

I’ll skip 0.65.6 for now. I’ll wait for 0.65.7 or 0.66 and see how we go.