0.65: Rename entities, new filter sensor, UpCloud and Channels

It sucks a bit sometimes when something changes but I find it best just to suck it up and embrace the change and use the ‘new’ way. That way, if something changes down the track, you won’t suddenly find something is totally broken that you forgot about. This is one of the reasons I abandoned using my all-in-one install as it was depreciated and that’s just a recipe for grief down the road. (Like when python changes become mandatory for instance)

Good idea, done!

Actually, I used polling before I changed it to webhooks many versions ago. I totally forget why I did that. Maybe something wasn’t working when I used polling or the documentation said “Described by Telegram as the preferred implementation”. Anyway I’m going back to polling and see how it goes.

1 Like

You need Webhooks if you use Telegram for more than just notifications. E.g. controlling your instance.

not true. i’m using polling and i still can control my devices and every automations work as expected.

Yes, I’m using polling

1 Like

I didn’t say that people should stick on 16.04, I said that IF someone stays on LTS, that must be for a good reason and THEN, they shouldn’t add extra-ubuntu repository packages.
That’s exactly the trouble you had, and if it’s not a big deal in your environment or in mine to add a 17.10 (or even a 18.04 beta), this could be a dead end for some users.
Right now, I have a stable and functional environment using 16.04 + HA 0.63.3, so I’ll see later what to do if there’s a need appearing !

I just installed HA 0.65.4 on my old Raspberry Pi - Python virtual env - and all works fine for the moment :wink: Great job, Thanks!

+1 – same issue with Yeelight. Can turn off but not turn on.

For Google assistant. And for using colour

@OttoWinter - thoughts on extending the light group to contain both switches and lights? Several of my lights via the ISY component are imported as switches since they only support on/off functionality. I’d like to do this so I can expose the light group to the emulated_hue (and eventually HomeKit when supported) allowing them to both turn on/off the group (I can do this today with ISY scenes) but also set brightness (I can’t do this today as ISY scenes don’t allow brightness to be set, rather only on a light itself). If a light group could contain both lights and switches, I could ditch my ISY scenes and use the light group to achieve their functionality and more.

1 Like

This was already extensively talked about here: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/issues/18

The conclusion was that we can’t support all use cases and we shouldn’t do these kind of ugly fixes for things that can easily be solved with templates. For example you can just declare a template light that mirrors the switch and appears as a light.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill take a look at the light template!

Update the bulb firmware and you are good to go.

updated to the latest version 65.4 and still the rename feature is not showing up, anyone got this working

Using: Custom UI 20180216

You won’t see it unless it’s in the entity registry.

This isn’t showing up for me either. I have listed the devices in the entity_registry YAML and still no luck

You listed them? They are system generated - do you mean known devices?

I mean, they were already listed
exanple:

light.bedroom_2:
platform: hue
unique_id: 00:12:4b:00:0a:b8:a6:b7-0b
light.theatre_2:
unique_id: 00:17:88:01:02:f7:3f:05-0b
light.bedroom_1:
unique_id: 00:12:4b:00:0a:b4:77:dd-0b

HI,
Just tried updating Hassio from 0.65.3.to 0.65.4.
Tried clicking the panel on the Hassio Dashboard. Systesm indicated it was updating. after it stopped I restarted HA and it was still on 0.65.3. I then re-booted Pi and still on 0.65.3.

went to terminal and SSH into hassio and ran ran hassio ha update and after about 3-4 minutes got the following error.

core-ssh:~# hassio ha update
ERROR
panic: interface conversion: interface is nil, not string

goroutine 1 [running]:
panic(0x2c5f60, 0x107c4420)
	/home/travis/.gimme/versions/go1.7.6.linux.amd64/src/runtime/panic.go:500 +0x33c
github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers.DisplayOutput(0x10808200, 0x24, 0x200, 0x0)
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers/common.go:118 +0x3c8
github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers.ExecCommand(0x2f5e63, 0xd, 0x7edede5a, 0x6, 0x0, 0x0, 0x76000, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, ...)
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/helpers/common.go:155 +0x308
github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command.CmdHomeassistant(0x107864d0)
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/command/homeassistant.go:48 +0x540
github.com/urfave/cli.HandleAction(0x2ae6d8, 0x323754, 0x107864d0, 0x0, 0x0)
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:503 +0xf0
github.com/urfave/cli.Command.Run(0x2f5e63, 0xd, 0x0, 0x0, 0x409d10, 0x1, 0x1, 0x300cfa, 0x2f, 0x0, ...)
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/urfave/cli/command.go:165 +0x6b8
github.com/urfave/cli.(*App).Run(0x107b2380, 0x1070a180, 0x3, 0x4, 0x0, 0x0)
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:259 +0x8b0
main.main()
	/home/travis/gopath/src/github.com/home-assistant/hassio-cli/main.go:22 +0x108
core-ssh:~#