0.77: Authentication system šŸ‘®ā€ā™‚ļø + Hangouts bot šŸ¤–

There is a way to do this but it is not well documented and only developers are familiar with it, I think in the next release or 2 it will be addressed in a easier way. For now I am keeping the api_passowrd for IFTTT , Tasker and other components that depend on it.

2 Likes

Yeh, because thatā€™s one of the deciding factors on buying a car.
At the risk of giving this car analogy even more stage time,ā€¦ imaging taking it in for service and when you get it back the only way to start the car is having to call the dealer for a pincode with no way of turning that off. Iā€™d have questions.

3 Likes

But what is your problem then?

So to use @drbytes car analogy, youā€™d rather buy a car with no locks on the doors and no need for a key for the ignition and sort those things out yourself later?

Obviously if you choose to secure your car differently then you can use ā€œaftermarketā€ stuff, or you can just stick with what it comes with.

Same with homeassistant. If you donā€™t want to use the Auth system, take it off. If you want to use something different, code it up.

Donā€™t make it harder for everyone else just because you know best.

2 Likes

I really donā€™t see where that would be the case with 0.77. Would you care to explain without a car analogy?

Please examine the code in my thread:

I want to get my code to work with the new authentication system going forward, even if trusted_networks no longer work.

Iā€™m not making it harder for anyone in here and I do not know best.

If that new security feature was in response to lots of that model being stolen due to a previous security flaw that was becoming well known amongst the local car theives and was provided for free by the dealer, Iā€™d be frivkinā€™ ecstatic.

Remind me of your address again? My new car isnā€™t arriving until the end of October so Iā€™ll just borrow yours in the meantime. :wink:

Iā€™d love to, but Iā€™m one of the thick people round here who uses homeassistant without being able to understand python, and therefore actually quite likes being offered free security upgrades without having to learn to code it myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For the Proxy users out there. If you are using Traefik, then you will want to add the following to the frontend configuration which is referencing you HomeAssistant backend

[frontends.homeassistant.headers.customrequestheaders]
  x-ha-access = "YourP@ssw0rd!"

Yeh but the previous security flaw lies mainly in not having common sense and leaving something as hass open and exposed to the internet. Thatā€™s not a security flaw, thatā€™s ignorance.
Listen, I know itā€™s well intention by the developers but itā€™s a bit of a record scratcher when an api suddenly changes and breaks stuff that has been chugging along nicely for ages without a way to easly turn it off.

That said, Iā€™ve jumped the hoops and adapted my code but I couldā€™ve been doing something more fun.

Iā€™d like to leave a little note here. If you have a Wemo switch unplugged and explicitly set each Wemo switch in your config, none of your wemo plugs will work. It throws an error about not being able to find the one and then none work. I have 3 wemo switches and sometimes I unplug one. Previous HA versions never had a problem, now they do.

Nothing to add really, but I wanted to say thank you to the entire team for another great release. I started playing with HomeAssistant over two years ago and I never could have imagined what an integral part of my familyā€™s life it would become. I know we could live without it, but we sure wouldnā€™t want to!

So, THANK YOU HASS TEAM!! Youā€™ve really enhanced our lives.

9 Likes

Updated to 77.1. No issues thanks for the hard work devs, bootup times are faster aswell.

2 Likes

After the 0.77 upgrade, ā€˜Custom UIā€™ icon_color There is a problem with the functionality.

Thank you team for amazing progress! I have all the users setup and logged, now waiting for the new iOS app and the functionalities to make different UI layouts based on the user, also very much liked the idea for attribution, so to know what was triggered by who, etc. would be also great to know who is currently using the UI / app, etc :slight_smile: keep on the good work, thank you!

1 Like

Disagree. My microwave works just fine for someone who breaks into my house. I donā€™t give a crap if someone breaks into my wifi and can then turn on my stereo.

This mandatory change is completely anti user choice.

Having a web product that doesnā€™t force ā€œsecurityā€ down my throat was one of the reasons I picked HA. This is a really annoying change in my opinion.

The constant breaking changes and half the time upgrades kill my whole system until I intervene has really soured me on HA over the last few months.

Iā€™m going to be in 0.76 indefinitely at this point.

6 Likes

Well that didnā€™t work, and now Iā€™m seemingly locked out of my system. I followed the prompt to create a user, then Iā€™m presented with ā€œYouā€™re about to give :8123/ access to your Home Assistant instanceā€ and it doesnā€™t accept the user/password I just set - ā€œInvalid username or passwordā€. It wonā€™t let me go back or forward. Absolutely no other changes were made. Any tips on how I can get back in?

1 Like

Try renaming your config/.storage folder to .storage.bak and restart HA.

1 Like

Thanks, but thatā€™s made it worse. Now I get 403ā€™d on every browser. The .storage folder did seem to recreate on the restart, but something else is going here.

Software that is basically free, and people always complain.

HA has security issues or iā€™ve been hacked = HA devs responsibility to fix.
Devs implement better security = oh i dont like this, i never asked for it,

You have to wonder why the devs bother some days

17 Likes