0.83: Fibaro Home Center Hubs, locks via voice, Traccar

![](upload://9SWZTvxXHPIObJJKxPhWrzXzPWl.png)

It’s release day! Today we’re happy to release Home Assistant 0.83. If you might have noticed, this is using our new release schedule which evolves around releases on Wednesdays instead of Fridays (this one is one day late). It’s the same 2-week release schedule as before, except that it has moved 5 days later.

So what’s new? A LOT. First, a contributor milestone. This release the backend has 99 contributors. That means that in the last 2,5 weeks since the last release, 99 people have written code that is now part of Home Assistant. The frontend has another 15 contributors. It’s amazing to see how as a community we can rally around building the best piece of home automation software out there and get it done.

I want to give a shout out to @MartinHjelmare who is doing an amazing job going through PRs and helping out where possible. Good job! ✨

Alright, time for some highlights. First is that thanks to @pbalogh77, Fibaro Home Center hubs are now supported. If you had already invested in a Z-Wave network with Fibaro, you can now seamlessly integrate that into Home Assistant and combine it with all the other intgrations out there.

The second cool thing is that Google Assistant now supports locks. Locking is enabled by default, but if you want to support unlocking, you will need to go to the Home Assistant Cloud settings to enable unlocking, or, if you’re using the manual config, add allow_unlock: true to your config.

![](upload://u5xIyjUEiknZxctd9l37PEKROmz.png) See what entities are exposed to Google and enable unlocking of locks.

The frontend team hasn’t sit still either. The extended release notes are here but the main highlight is the new shopping list card. @iantrich took the shopping list panel and shrunk it to the size of a Lovelace card.

Oh and if you’re into GPS tracking: OwnTracks is a lot easier to get started with in this release. But if you really like all the data in the world: @ludeeus has added support for Traccar, including accompanying Hass.io add-on by @frenck.

Note, this release includes a migration to add an index to speed up the logbook queries. It might take a bit on first boot, please be patient.

New Platforms

If you need help…

…don’t hesitate to use our very active forums or join us for a little chat. The release notes have comments enabled but it’s preferred if you use the former communication channels. Thanks.

Reporting Issues

Experiencing issues introduced by this release? Please report them in our issue tracker. Make sure to fill in all fields of the issue template.

Breaking Changes

Beta Fixes

All changes

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/11/29/release-83/

Crazy release again with tons of new thing :smile:

Concerning the google home bluetooth tracker, does someone know what it can detect and how well does it work? Will it for example detect a phone with bluetooth enable? Or a connected watch with BLE?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. So happy with the new light switch.

1 Like

Can anyone explain how the Google Home BLE device tracker works?

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/device_tracker.googlehome/

The input is just IP of the Home, but how do we know what devices it is going to look for or report on? is it based on your google account or do you need to tell it specific bluetooth MAC addresses?

Furthermore regarding Owntracks, so on HA part I don’t need to put owntracks under device_tracker anymore?

Just upgraded from 0.81.6 to 0.83.0, and I also changed out device_tracker with asuswrt in configuration.yaml, and commented out the track_new_devices: false, as that is not supported by the asuswrt component. However, I only get errors, using a Asus RT-AC66U with Telnet:

Error during setup of component asuswrt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 145, in _async_setup_component
    hass, processed_config)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/asuswrt.py", line 57, in async_setup
    await api.connection.async_connect()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/aioasuswrt/connection.py", line 100, in async_connect
    self._host, self._port)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/streams.py", line 75, in open_connection
    lambda: protocol, host, port, **kwds)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/base_events.py", line 777, in create_connection
    raise exceptions[0]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/base_events.py", line 764, in create_connection
    yield from self.sock_connect(sock, address)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 451, in sock_connect
    return (yield from fut)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 481, in _sock_connect_cb
    raise OSError(err, 'Connect call failed %s' % (address,))
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connect call failed ('192.168.1.1', 22)

Is there something I’m overlooking?

1 Like

It will report all mac addresses it sees.

I’m also interest in this.

I currently use my rpi bluetooth to track when we are home, it would be good if my bedroom G mini could detect when we go to bed and then turn everything off downstairs.

Or am I missing the point of this?

I was using the yale smart alarm but they change their api and I’m hoping someone can fix it

No this is my understanding of it too. I have a few GH in my house so I’m now thinking I can effectively set up room-level presence detection with nothing more than the GH devices.

2 Likes

I had to roll back to 0.82.1 as just hung when I updated. Nothing obvious in the logs, though I suspect maybe Xiaomi devices may have something to do with it as my friend had to do the same and it was erroring on his Xiaomi sensors.

I’ll give it a go again in a bit and see if I can fully debug.

1 Like

For Owntracks. the setting in configuration.yaml
owntracks:

Restart show intergration in config but no device.

CONFIGURING THE APP - IOS

Install the OwnTracks application for iOS.

In the OwnTracks app, tap the (i) in the top left and click on settings. Change the following settings:

• Mode: HTTP
  • URL: <url given to you when setting up the integration> <=== what to put when in the intergration no device found
  • Turn on authentication
  • User ID: <Your name>

I haven’t gotten the upgrade yet but i’ve had a look at the code. It seems to look for BLE devices similar to the ble_tracker. I assume it will use the known_devices.yaml to specify what to track

would you be able to track the same device on a different Bluetooth tracker?

I find the Google home has a short range (based on using it to stream music) yet the RPI never skips a beat.

Short range could be good here if we’re looking at room presence detection though.

How does locking via google assistant work if I need to enter a pin-code to lock?

1 Like

Not seeing the update in my hassio setup??

No restart needed when configuring OwnTracks. Devices don’t show up under integrations yet but device tracker entries will show up.

Hassio update normally takes a few hours to show up I find.

Google Home Bluetooth tracker seems amazing!

Even if it doesn’t work well enough for room-level detection, it would be an ideal way for home presence detection for all of us not using a Raspberry Pi for its Bluetooth.

1 Like

Can it be manually updated? I’m desperate to see if I can get my AsusWRT working again!