It’s release day! Today we’re happy to release Home Assistant 0.83. If you might have noticed, this is using our new release schedule which evolves around releases on Wednesdays instead of Fridays (this one is one day late). It’s the same 2-week release schedule as before, except that it has moved 5 days later.
So what’s new? A LOT. First, a contributor milestone. This release the backend has 99 contributors. That means that in the last 2,5 weeks since the last release, 99 people have written code that is now part of Home Assistant. The frontend has another 15 contributors. It’s amazing to see how as a community we can rally around building the best piece of home automation software out there and get it done.
I want to give a shout out to @MartinHjelmare who is doing an amazing job going through PRs and helping out where possible. Good job! ✨
Alright, time for some highlights. First is that thanks to @pbalogh77, Fibaro Home Center hubs are now supported. If you had already invested in a Z-Wave network with Fibaro, you can now seamlessly integrate that into Home Assistant and combine it with all the other intgrations out there.
The second cool thing is that Google Assistant now supports locks. Locking is enabled by default, but if you want to support unlocking, you will need to go to the Home Assistant Cloud settings to enable unlocking, or, if you’re using the manual config, add
allow_unlock: true to your config.
The frontend team hasn’t sit still either. The extended release notes are here but the main highlight is the new shopping list card. @iantrich took the shopping list panel and shrunk it to the size of a Lovelace card.
Oh and if you’re into GPS tracking: OwnTracks is a lot easier to get started with in this release. But if you really like all the data in the world: @ludeeus has added support for Traccar, including accompanying Hass.io add-on by @frenck.
Note, this release includes a migration to add an index to speed up the logbook queries. It might take a bit on first boot, please be patient.
Experiencing issues introduced by this release? Please report them in our issue tracker. Make sure to fill in all fields of the issue template.
- OwnTracks is now using config entries. To set it up, go to the configuration panel and configure it there. When configured and MQTT is available, will automatically listen there too. (@kirichkov - #17034) (@balloob - #18759) (owntracks docs) (breaking change)
- Removes melissa sensors (they should be state attributes as implemented in #18201) (@kennedyshead - #18214) (melissa docs) (breaking change)
- Enable config flow for Luftdaten (@fabaff - #17700) (luftdaten docs) (sensor.luftdaten docs) (breaking change)
- Update Neato states, actions and alerts based on Neato docs. The vacuum status attribute has new alerts and updated actions. (@dshokouhi - #17353) (neato docs) (breaking change)
- Add services to set/update and cancel Nest ETA. Rename service set_mode to set_away_mode (@schmittx - #17836) (nest docs) (breaking change)
- Split out geofency with a component and platform (@rohankapoorcom - #17933) (device_tracker docs) (geofency docs) (breaking change) (new-platform)
- Add upload and download sensors and component for asuswrt (@kennedyshead - #17757) (asuswrt docs) (device_tracker docs) (sensor.asuswrt docs) (breaking change) (new-platform)
- Show battery_level as a percent vs a decimal (@chriskacerguis - #18328) (wirelesstag docs) (breaking change)
- Enable native support + ADB authentication for Fire TV (@JeffLIrion - #17767) (media_player.firetv docs) (breaking change)
- Logbook speedup is now using the built-in entity filter modes. Means that (@jaxer - #18376) (breaking change)
- Template binary sensor will now fall back to manual updates only if we cannot extract the entity IDs to track from the templates (@amelchio - #18573) (binary_sensor.template docs) (breaking change)
- Darksky: Expose missing conditions for day 0 forecast and append
_0to the day 0 attributes:
moon_phase. (@leppa - #18312) (sensor.darksky docs) (breaking change)
- Prefix all xiaomi_aqara events with “xiaomi_aqara”. Please update your automations:
motion -> xiaomi_aqara.motion,
click -> xiaomi_aqara.click,
cube_action -> xiaomi_aqara.cube_action(@syssi - #17354) (binary_sensor.xiaomi_aqara docs) (breaking change)
- Change channel with play_media instead of select_source (@ehendrix23 - #18474) (media_player.directv docs) (breaking change)
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/11/29/release-83/