0.86: New Lovelace UI and Zigbee Management Panel!

– off-topic –

I agree but my version was given the Hollywood treatment to add some suspense-filled drama to the narrative. :wink:

Not that there was any shortage of drama during the Apollo program!

Apollo 11: Error 1201, 1202. Computer overload warning due to malfunctioning radar-based ground-ranging system … all while descending to the lunar surface for the very first manned landing.

And of course who can forget Apollo 12’s classic “Try SCE to AUX.” Lightning strike during the Saturn V’s initial ascent negatively impacted electrical systems. The linked article does a great job of recounting this white-knuckle moment … and demonstrates the qualities needed in the personnel responsible for trouble-shooting mission and time-critical problems.

… and here we are, flustered by stuff that just makes our lives more comfy. :slight_smile:

– back on-topic —

1 Like

Ha ha but you must have a tolerant wife! In our household automation was a tough sell and “failure is not an option…” is very real.

The only difference is the repercussion; in my case the NUC just gets shutoff and hidden somewhere until I convince the family “No, lights won’t turn on in all rooms in the middle of the night again I promise…” and get the NUC given back to me :wink:

4 Likes

:joy::joy: so true!

EDIT: Nevermind! I’m a genius and forgot that I had multiple triggers that were using time instead of time_pattern and needed to be updated. All good now.

I updated my trigger for time_pattern, however the configuration validation is still flagging this as an error. The automation component seems to load properly now that I’ve updated the code, but it seems like something with the config validation needs to be updated as well? Anyone else seeing this?

I started automating our home back in 2006. I learned soon enough that you need a ‘production system’, to run the house, and a separate ‘test system’ for experimentation. You only need to experience your ‘pride and joy’ fall flat on its face in front of others (spouse, family, guests, etc), typically during a demo (of course), to learn you need to isolate production from test.

I won’t bore people about ‘the old days’ but it’s so much easier nowadays (inexpensive single-board computers, old netbooks, virtual machines, docker, etc) to have one or more test-beds where you can cleanly ‘squash bugs’ without affecting the production system.

– soapbox on –
Open-sourced software that gets upgraded every two weeks is a double-edged sword. You get free improvements and new functionality … along with breaking changes and bugs. Given this combination of carrot and stick, even if you’ve diligently read and adapted for all breaking changes, you’re still taking a gamble installing the latest release on your production system. To maintain your psychological health, and familial relations, use a separate test system.
– soapbox off –

5 Likes

Has anyone successful got GPS Logger working through Cloud Webhooks? I finally got it working OK as a component webhook (to my local domain), but if I enable the webhook under the cloud section and replace my URL with the nabu casa URL, GPS Logger gives me (can’t copy paste it so reproducing it):
Unexpected response code Response {protocol=h2, code=500, message=, url=https://hooks.nabu.casa/xxxxxxxxxxx}

Home Assistant throws this error:

Error handling message
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/cloud/iot.py”, line 237, in _handle_connection
hass, self.cloud, msg[‘handler’], msg[‘payload’])
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/cloud/iot.py”, line 293, in async_handle_message
return (yield from handler(hass, cloud, payload))
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/cloud/iot.py”, line 366, in async_handle_webhook
body = body.decode(‘utf-8’)
AttributeError: ‘StringPayload’ object has no attribute ‘decode’

I set the HTTP body and headers correctly and it is set to POST not GET. Again, it works fine connecting locally, but as soon as I change to the Nabu Case URL, I get these errors.

Any thoughts?

Yes, having a play system for testing is great. The problem is with zwave and such it’s hard to have that multi-homed so the testing is actually real world enough. I likely will setup a small test system just for my home office and move those switches and sensors over to get a reasonable test environment.

1 Like

Yes, in fact you can add a link back to the old states page inside of lovelace:

- type: entities
        show_header_toggle: false
        entities:
          - type: weblink
            url: /states
            name: "States"
            icon: mdi:home-assistant
2 Likes

I have lost all my Limitless lights since the upgrade, they are in my configuration but are not available.
Anyone an idea how to troubleshoot or fix?

Platfrom time has been changed to time_pattern

- platform: time
to
- platform: time_pattern

This is incorrect. See the docs for when to use time and when to use time_pattern as a trigger in an automation.

i dont know
but changing my plafrom for triggering @ 7:30 was time,
which was giving me error, now after changing it to time_pattern error is gone.

Look at the logs. Maybe there’s some breaking change to manage.

well … I wish I could say congratulations and thank you, but somehow my upgrade experience gets worse and worse for quite a few of the last iterations. In fact, I spend a lot of time figuring out what causes problems each time I pull a new docker image, rebooting, rebooting, … waiting for another update to fix temporary problems. Honestly, I like home-assistant, that it’s written in Python, open-source, extensible. I totally love app-daemon and that’s what I use for automation, not home-assistant. Quite frankly, I think writing automation based on markup-language is simply one big wrong idea. From home-assistant I use the event driven orchestration, state machine and third-party integration component. I’m on the very verge of giving up on home-assistant (or at least its updates) because it delivers more problems than improvements recently. HASS is nice while it works and an endless nightmare once it doesn’t - I no longer use it. Lovelace should have been there from the start but at least it’s now.
In my opinion, stability, involvement of actual long-term users, tinkerers/tweakers is somewhat neglected. There is fast innovation, but for whom - one time downloaders? I am seriously wondering whether other long-term users experience something similar or if I am asking too much. I would like to see a poll by home-assistant. That should also distinguish people who just like it as it is out of the box and try it briefly vs people trying to max it out and follow it for a long time.

For clarity: thanks for all your work, I’m placing my concern here because I like home-assistant and rather want to stick with it. But given the struggles with updates I doubt whether I bear with it for much longer.

6 Likes

This is madness. I will even not mention the fiasco of raw config editor but with the 0.86 update everything broke. Lights,scripts, automation you name it. Now i can understand that in order to improve a software constant updates have to be made but not to the extend that the software becomes useless! I don’t know even where to begin to fix things. So i will do one thing revert back to 0.85 and stay there. This is a great software and lovelace is undoubtedly the way to go but not by breaking almost everything on it on an update.

1 Like

Anyone else lost Apple TV? I’ve manually configured it in the past but for quite a few months now I’ve just left it to auto discover. However both my Apple TVs have disappeared since 0.85.1. I’ve also lost the appletv service so I can’t scan for them either.

How do I use custom cards via the Lovelace UI ?
If not possible, should I create the ui-lovelace.yaml (I don’t have it at the moment) and I won’t be able to work via the Lovelace UI ?

@e_jp there is a breaking change related to time in 86. I know you say you’re not using any automations in HA but are you using the time notation anywhere else?

My understanding is custom cards are okay as long as you use the ui-lovelace.yaml file and edit it manually.
Custom cards using integrated editor = bad.

I use the editor via the web UI for custom cards just fine.