Today we’re releasing Home Assistant 0.87, our third release of the year. Besides a bunch of bugs squashing and performance improvements, we got some cool new features too.
Let’s start with the big one: we now support SmartThings. Via a custom app that can be installed inside SmartThings, you can now push the state of each device, as soon as it changes, to Home Assistant. No more fiddling with MQTT bridges or other solutions. Big shoutout to @andrewsayre for making this possible. Have a look at the SmartThings docs to get started.
New in this release is a new area feature thanks to @Kane610. Areas will allow users to organize their devices by their physical area, like kitchen or living room. This will unlock a whole new range of possible new features (of which none are implemented yet). With this release, users will just be able to manage areas in the configuration panel and place devices in areas via the integration page. In the future, we’re planning to add area based user permissions and a Lovelace area card. If you can’t wait to start leveraging areas today, [@thomasloven] has created a custom Lovelace card that can leverage areas.
This release also includes a UI to manage the entity registry. The entity registry contains all entities with unique IDs that Home Assistant has ever seen. It will allow users to quickly rename entities, change entity IDs or have Home Assistant forget entities that are no longer active.
We didn’t forget about the frontend in this release. In the last release we introduced Lovelace, so for this release we focused on bug squashing, performance improvements and usability. The YAML editor is now rendered using a full editor including line numbers thanks to @bramkragten. There is also a new system health component that will help users diagnose problems from the “info” developer tool. See changelog for the frontend.
In this release we have also upgraded the Material Design Icons to 3.3.92, which renames some icons. Make sure to check their changelog.
If you prefer a podcast over release notes, check out the Hass Podcast in which Phil and Rohan discuss each new Home Assistant release and keep a tap on what’s happening in the home automation space.
Experiencing issues introduced by this release? Please report them in our issue tracker. Make sure to fill in all fields of the issue template.
- SolarEdge sensors: This PR changes the entity names of this sensor and the monitoring condition keys in the configuration:
sensor.solaredge_lifetime_energy, (@LouisMT - #20109) (sensor.solaredge docs) (breaking change)
- Geolocation is no longer creating a default group. (@exxamalte - #20338) (geo_location docs) (breaking change)
- The Dovado sensor platform has been broken up into a Dovado component with sensor and notify platforms. The configuration variables have been changed. Please refer to the documentation for the correct configuration. (@rohankapoorcom - #20339) (dovado docs) (sensor.dovado docs) (breaking change)
- Brottsplatskartan: The incident type count is reset every day. Before this change, it didn’t reset until you restarted Home assistant. (@chrillux - #20117) (sensor.brottsplatskartan docs) (breaking change)
- Ambient PWS has new configuration and entity IDs will change. Configure it now via the integrations page. (@bachya - #20332) (ambient_station docs) (sensor.ambient_station docs) (breaking change)
- New Transmission component. With the introduction of the Transmission component, the configuration for Transmission sensor and switch has been moved to the component configuration. Configuration must be changed accordingly. (@MatteGary - #19230) (transmission docs) (sensor.transmission docs) (breaking change) (new-platform)
- The alarm control panel will now flag mistyped configs from
configuration.yamlcorrectly as invalid, instead of just ignoring them. (@emontnemery - #20224) (alarm_control_panel docs) (breaking change)
- MQTT platforms will now flag mistyped configs from
configuration.yamlcorrectly as invalid, instead of just ignoring them. (@emontnemery - #20562) (mqtt docs) (breaking change)
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/01/30/release-87/