0.91: More streaming, better Zigbee, cameras with ESPHome

Interested too, how to override a excisting component, you figured this out?

No, I had to rename it.

Big changes are great except it killed my custom cards and now I can’t get into configurator from the side bar. Big change to HA screwed my system. Simple thermostat won’t work and can’t change/update configuration.yaml file cuz I can’t get to it now!!!

Let’s see if we can help you with the configuration.yaml piece… Configurator was not updated on .91 but I did see some recent posts about the latest update to the Hass.io add-on causing issues with it. Can you still get to the Hass.io section of the sidebar? If so, you can try another add-on, such as Samba or SSH, to get to your configuration.yaml file.

I am having trouble with the Configurator Hassio add-on as well. The Config section was cleared out and now it won’t allow me to save any config I enter. I have tried stopping the service, adding the config, saving and then starting up again. No luck.

You no longer need to specify a config section for that add-on if you’re on version 3 of it. The Open Web UI link should launch the Configurator. If you still want a link in the left panel, you need to update your configuration with the new URL. More information here:

cc @kpj5425 in case so they see this as well in case that’s their issue.

Thank you so much! It is all working perfectly now (without any config).

Do you also have issue - Camera images refresh issue https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-polymer/issues/3073
Home Assistant release with the issue:

Last working Home Assistant release (if known):

UI (States or Lovelace UI?):
Lovelace

Browser and Operating System:
Fullykiosk, Chrome, Android 7.1.1

Description of problem:
When Android tablet temporally disconnect from network and connect again then my cameras stops refreshing images. This is valid for Generic camera, Foscam camera, Synology camera. I am using lovelace picture-entity.

I have been able to reproduce issue also on my Iphone 8 plus, IOS 12:

• HA 0.87.1 - Turn off and turn on wifi - camera images are still refreshing every 10 seconds
  • HA 0.91.2 - Turn off and turn on wifi - camera images are no more refreshing every 10 seconds

This issue: FFMPEG process stays active after camera window close #3018 is still existing in Version 0.91.2.

My setup:
Home Assistant on Linux host with Apache reverse proxy.
Cameras are “platform: mjpeg” streaming from Blueiris.
UI: Lovelace (~yaml mode…not using “Configure UI” )
Browser: FireFox

They show up fine and still images refresh every 10secs.
Opening the stream (click on still image) will show the stream real-time as it should but, closing the window does NOT end the stream(s). Well, let me put it this way: Window closes and still_image goes back to 10s refresh. But in back-end, the stream doesn’t stop. In fact, CPU usage starts to creep up to 75% to 100% (on one or 2 cores) and network usage goes up to 4.8MiB/s to even as high as 10MiB/s.

Closing browser tab (HA) will stop it or of course, restarting HA will stop it as well.

I know/understand that this issue is still open and thought I could provide some testing feedback.

Are you using SSL at all? any other proxy in the mix? I will test this and post my feedback.

Yes SSL Lets encrypt, HA in Docker running on Synology. Thank you for test.

Issue is also valid without SLL just tested

Just tested this and I concur with the finding. This is true in version 0.91.2.
I am running a proxy but that doesn’t seem to matter.
Test steps:
Go to cameras, wait for 10sec, image refreshes fine every 10 seconds.
Turn off WiFi. Wait 30secs, Turn WiFi On. HA reconnects fine BUT, camera doesn’t update the image.
Click on image now and video feed displays in real-time. Close window, camera image still shows old image and doesn’t update.
Goto “Configuration” in panel_iframe, or some other area, go back to camera, it still shows old image.

Logout > Login again. Now camera image keeps refreshing as it should.

Also, noticed CPU usage increases from (in my test setup here) 1~3% to 25%. Isn’t that a big jump for just posting camera image? This also ties in with what I have posted about CPU and system overloading with camera video feeds here: This issue: FFMPEG process stays active after camera window close #3018 4 is still existing in Version 0.91.2.

Edit: just checked. Opening the video feed does crash HA system after some time.
Not complaining but the revised version of camera/stream components seem to still have few wrinkles and hopefully they’ll be ironed out in next few releases…

So I received the Samsung Smarthings Shield Link… Turns out, that it does NOT support Zigbee OTA updates. This was not documented on the product info page on amazon. (found out via a samsung FAQ) I sent it back and picked up the Hub V3 and updated the Button Firmware. I can confirm that they now send the zha_event I was looking for and the buttons now work with Hassio. Just wanted to make sure I put this out there as there seems to be good reason to keep your SmartThings hub in the future for the OTA updates that may be needed. (sold the old one)

2 Likes

Thank you for testing. I am more sure that it is not my configuration issue. Looks like that something has been changed in reconnecting or new camera stream implementation and unfortunately this is blocking upgrade my home assistant. I have tablet in kitchen and there hue motion sensor. When motion is detected tablet screen is set on by rest command of fully kiosk. And there is usually doing reconnecting because of tablet inactivity. I see then on tablet outdated camera pictures :frowning: I am exited about new HA stream featured but now cannot use it. Thank you for helping in this.

Hi, I managed to use 7 cameras of various brands in 0.91.2, the only one not working (was working with 0.90) is the following model for which I used two different component (generic and ffmpeg, both not working)

Digoo DG-M1Z 1080P SHARK 2.8mm

- platform: ffmpeg
    name: Kitchen2
    input: rtsp://admin:[email protected]:554/onvif2

- platform: generic
    name: Kitchen
    still_image_url: http://192.168.1.4/snapshot.cgi?user=admin&pwd=xxxx   
    stream_source: rtsp://admin:[email protected]:554/onvif1

the ffmpeg works in lovelace card, but not when you click on it, the generic does not work both ways

What button firmware change are there?

I have a bunch of smartthings moisture/buttons/multi/outlets and never thought about having to update their firmware.

I had not thought about it either until I purchased additional buttons. I could not get them to work the same as my first button and starting trying to identify any differences via the ZHA configuration menus. I saw that the “version” reported different between them and hoped it was just an update needed.

When I paired the non working to my smart things hub, the Smarthings IDE page indicated that they were running firmware 000000x8 when 000000x11 (or something along those lines) was available. Once the firmware was done, I moved them back over to Hassio and everything is now working. I did some digging but could not find any type of change log about these updates other than “improvements” and better battery optimization.

I do have quite a few other smart things sensors as they are becoming some of the cheapest out there so Ill probably slowly move those back and forth to check for updates.

I wish there was a way to do this directly with zigpy. I also have a bunch of Ikea bulbs, I wonder if I have to buy a Ikea hub or if I can do that via smartthings hub too.

Hey @hunterjm - in the podcast you talked about setting up tensorflow for motion detection to trigger the recording. Do you have instructions on this anywhere? Both on setting up Tensorflow and on how to write the automation?

Awesome component, thanks!