0.94: Config page, is it possible to hide/minimize disabled panels when using YAML config?

Did I mention you in particular finity?
There are many who contribute here, but when you see comments like annoyed/why has X changed it must get tiring for those who develop it. I have seen to many open source projects lose excellent developers just because the stream of critism of their efforts is never ending. The panel in question as stated is the first reiteration yet comments here like I’m annoyed, being forced or on FB like “what’s this crap” just get tiresom

Well, when you direct your reply specifically at me I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume you were talking about me.

If you read my first reply up there I didn’t say any of those things. I said I didn’t like it, explained why and even offered a simple solution.

1000 x this. The thread title is incendiary right off the bat.

1 Like

Well forget the fact that the config checker for the GUI is inaccurate and the recommendation actually is to use ssh as the config checker does miss things…

Hi can you give me more info on the recommended method using SSH please?

From ssh… hassio ha check
Or there is a service you can call from dev-tools and it reports any errors in the log… I think it’s homeassistant-check

1 Like

Thanks, ha check worked for me.

It did take a long time, over 1 min but eventually it said Ok so I guess my config is good.

I’ll try the dev-tools service also, it would be nice if it was a little faster. :slight_smile: I’ll use the SSH check when making big changes, as I guess it takes longer because it’s more thorough.

Yeah I have used the GUI one and it says all ok, hit restart and then find nothing has happened and then check the log and find an error.

It should be possible to write a script that will read the error code and then send a notification or trigger a restart… Might look into that…

@a3a If you use ublock origin with cosmetic filtering you can easily disable these 2 panels:

Here’s the filters:

! 09/06/2019 http://hassio.local - hides disabled config panels
    hassio.local##ha-config-name-form
    hassio.local##ha-config-core-form

You’ll need to change ‘hassio.local’ to whatever domain you use to access HA :slight_smile:

@DavidFW1960 Yep it’s nice when there are many options, having the errors logged and e-mailed would be handy for debugging.

1 Like

Exactly. My config is in github and I don’t expose passwords and any privacy conscious info. Like location.

wow, you have a pretty low bar for what you feel is “incendiary”.

the title of the thread literally just gives the facts as seen from the viewpoint of the OP…

the cards are useless to the OP because they are disabled and they take up too much space, especially since are useless because they are disabled.

Just the facts…nothing “incendiary” at all.

Tell me what you think would be a less “incendiary” title that conveys the intent of the thread and I’ll be happy to change it.

I tried the dev-tools service and for some reason it only worked half the time and I kept getting an unauthorized access from an IP that eventually caused my IP Ban to kick in that banned 127.0.0.1. :frowning_face:

And the fact that you have to then go to the HA log to see the results is extremely inconvenient at best.

As far as the accuracy of the config checker goes, I remember a long time ago there were a few issues with it but I use it exclusively to check my configuration changes before I restart (from the button in the ui) and I don’t remember the last time I’ve had any issues with it not finding an error. And it’s almost instantaneous. So there’s that.

I don’t think the OP wants those two panels disabled. I think they want the new ones that have been added above those panels to be blocked. The ones you pointed out aren’t the useless ones.

1 Like

Just chipping in here too, i like the whole new aspect of GUI for new users. Makes it easier for them to start quickly and move along.

That said i also do use the config checker a lot. All solutions provided are nice but having the button on the first page is just a no brainer. Or better yet, just give it another tab on the page before that. Cosmetics aside i run that thing like a bazillion times when i’am working on it. Doing a config check from hassio takes 8 to 9 seconds! That is just too long for a quick check, restarting takes me 10 minutes (i have too many zwave) so it is important to have a quick check (although maybe not 100%)

Perhaps the author of visual studio code plugin can make it such that once you save your edits it does a call of some sort and verifies it.

Either way, i’am used to it already now but still it saves me 0.3 seconds for scrolling down.

And for all the basher/hate whatever here, sometimes its better to just write text ‘politically’ correct. Since what someone means doesn’t always come over the same way. Thats why i always tell friends ‘if you text someone more then 5 times, just call them’ because a lot of crap can get in between the lines with no bad intent.

2 Likes

It was not my intent to set of a firestorm of criticism for anyone. It was my intention to ask if it was possible to easily hide or minimize the forms that were taking up a lot of space and causing extra scrolling.

Just exactly what I asked – now edited to be more tactful without changing the meaning one iota.

I had tried to hide the forms with uBlock Origin already but I didn’t know about “cosmetic filtering” and consequently the webcomponent elment names were not hiding when I tried it. Now that I know how to hide them with uBlock, I am happy.

And as I said midway through this thread, I do sincerely apologize if anyone was offended.

1 Like

I took a peek at the source code today and as far as I can tell the config panel, service call, and SSH are all ultimately calling the same script to perform the checking,

The new title would seem to fit that bill nicely.

Yeah, I don’t know why there would have been any difference. I was just reporting that there was. and it seems others have seen differences too in the amount of time it takes to run.

I can’t explain it, tho.

I don’t think the OP wants those two panels disabled. I think they want the new ones that have been added above those panels to be blocked. The ones you pointed out aren’t the useless ones.

My screenshot was showing what it looks like with the 2 panels blocked using the filters I posted :slight_smile:

I had tried to hide the forms with uBlock Origin already but I didn’t know about “cosmetic filtering” and consequently the webcomponent elment names were not hiding when I tried it. Now that I know how to hide them with uBlock, I am happy.

@a3a Yep the Shadow DOM thing with HA can be a bit of a pain here, but if you use ‘inspect element’ on your browser you can still hide elements. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oops. I didn’t realize that. Never mind…

I think @rpress said it best. It is surprising how much room a disabled feature takes up. Sure it is a small scroll, but when you do it dozens of times in a day it certainly adds up to an annoyance… Please consider hiding the map when disabled, only showing the map when needing to select a location, or moving the check config/restart buttons.

2 Likes

It is surprising how much room a disabled feature takes up.

Agreed! Please hide these panels if not used. Scrolling past these is really getting old.

I’ve released version 0.1.0 of a Config Check AppDaemon app, that will allow you to initiate a configuration check from Lovelace and see the results in the frontend (and restart automatically if the configuration is valid). Full details here: Apop's Home Assistant Setup and Other Resources