0.96: Notion, updated sidebar, advanced mode

I was running an older FF 60.8 ESR version for compatibility with camera plugins I no longer need. Updated FireFox to 68 and it does indeed display the HASS frontend just fine.

Thanks for the tip!

I tend to agree with this. I think I would rather just be able to have the dev tools on and off at a user level, and if they’re on, I’d rather they be in the sidebar and one click away.

2 Likes

Something which strikes me as odd about the “Advanced Mode” in 0.96 is that checking configuration is considered an advanced option while restarting the server isn’t. Since restarting without first checking the configuration can lead to all sorts of problems, this seems like a bad idea. Either restarting should also be an advanced option, or checking the configuration shouldn’t.

6 Likes

Restarting will fail if there is a config error so there’s that…

And I expect questions here will explode because they do not know about the hidden config checker.
Many new users here fail to search or read the docs anyway.

2 Likes

Guys, do you have also problem with device_tracker/bluetooth_tracker after updating to 0.96.x? Very annoying.

Bravo on the new sidebar option in 0.96.3 to allow hiding it. Thanks so much!!! And it appears to take effect per instance? That is, I have sidebar turned off on 3 tablets in my house, but turned on on another, and all devices seem to remember their own setting. That is VERY COOL. VERY VERY COOL!

2 Likes

After upgrading to buster and 0.96.3, I have lost the frontend:

Jul 21 21:11:44 raspberrypi hass[584]: 2019-07-21 21:11:44 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package home-assistant-frontend==20190721.0: ERROR: Exception:
Jul 21 21:11:44 raspberrypi hass[584]:   File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 360, in _error_catcher
Jul 21 21:11:44 raspberrypi hass[584]:   File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 365, in _error_catcher
Jul 21 21:11:44 raspberrypi hass[584]:     raise ReadTimeoutError(self._pool, None, 'Read timed out.')
Jul 21 21:11:44 raspberrypi hass[584]: pip._vendor.urllib3.exceptions.ReadTimeoutError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.piwheels.org', port=443): Read timed out.

also get:

Jul 21 21:16:51 raspberrypi hass[584]: 2019-07-21 21:16:51 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
Jul 21 21:16:51 raspberrypi hass[584]: ssl.SSLError: [SSL: VERSION_TOO_LOW] version too low (_ssl.c:1056)
Jul 21 21:16:51 raspberrypi hass[584]: 2019-07-21 21:16:51 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error in data received
Jul 21 21:16:51 raspberrypi hass[584]: ssl.SSLError: [SSL: VERSION_TOO_LOW] version too low (_ssl.c:1056)
Jul 21 21:17:03 raspberrypi hass[584]: 2019-07-21 21:17:03 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.esphome] Can't connect to ESPHome API for 192.168.1.182: Error connecting to ('192.168.1.182', 6053): [Errno 113] Connect call failed ('192.168.1.182', 6053)
Jul 21 21:17:15 raspberrypi hass[584]: 2019-07-21 21:17:15 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
Jul 21 21:17:15 raspberrypi hass[584]: ssl.SSLError: [SSL: NO_SHARED_CIPHER] no shared cipher (_ssl.c:1056)
Jul 21 21:17:15 raspberrypi hass[584]: 2019-07-21 21:17:15 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error in data received
Jul 21 21:17:15 raspberrypi hass[584]: ssl.SSLError: [SSL: NO_SHARED_CIPHER] no shared cipher (_ssl.c:1056)

Automations seem to work correctly so far.

After upgrading to buster and 0.96.3, I have lost the frontend:

This happened to me when using Chrome. Firefox still loaded the front end. I’m using self-signed certificates and I had to reissue the certificate with the v3_req section modified as follows:

keyUsage = digitalSignature, nonRepudiation, keyEncipherment, dataEncipherment

Chrome is now happy. I’m not sure the digitalSignature usage is required (my guess is nonRepudiation was either not being done or was doing it in spite of the certificate usages) but I wanted to get it working first. Now I don’t want to hassle with it again…

I’m a little bit curious what changed with the implementation between home assistant front end and buster but something is a bit more picky about certificates.

Edit: I should add – there was nothing in my logs though so I’m pretty sure you have a different issue going on.

Pretty sure buster is using a newer version of OpenSSL and that could have been the issue

The blue bar on Edge/FF ESR 60 has been fixed and will be part of 96.4.

96.3 removes the hover, introduces tooltips and has a new option on the profile page to hide the sidebar completely on bigger screens. Preview available in the demo.

8 Likes

anyone else with a gap in the sidebar like this (click image to see full size):

Safari, Mac, HA96.3, (update went smooth, kudos to the team)

No errors, warnings etc to be found…

I’m using let’s encrypt certificate.
Strange thing is after trying to re-update HA and doing a few restarts, everything started to work again. But I basically did nothing more than that.

Call me blind, but what gap?

click the image…sorry for that.

between Log Viewer and Developer Tools

Oh that gap. Add some more panels. If you fill it up you get a scroll bar that never goes away.

ha, yes, I can also resize the browser window.

both shouldn’t be necessary of course, this might be called a bug I fear. No matter the number of panels or the browser window size, there shouldn’t be a gap (at least not in that place)

The panels above the gap are user oriented. The panels below the gap are configuration based. It’s by design. And I thought quite logical.

EDIT: even in the old side bar these items were segregated.

2 Likes

no, they were not (edit: by a gap) , see this 94.4 screenshot:

that would implicate some logic indeed :wink: otoh, the User icon should be on the user side in that logic.

If anything, the 2 separated Developer Tools and Configuration are a bit on their own in this particular setup. Maybe it would be better already if the line would be placed above them, and the User Icon be back at the top…

Thank you for the new sidebar option in 96.3