0.97: Apache Kafka, Fortigate, Twente Milieu

Yes, you are right, but I’m using generic Google calendar for component and custom component is just for visualisation (you have to have generic one working for it).

same here it’s screwed all my device tracking and several media players (custom component alexa and tivo for starters)

How long does it take to update? I’m using hass.io and clicked the update button.
This was 40min ago. Still can’t access HA.

Depending on your hardware it can take seconds up to minutes. 40 minutes seem like a bit much. Better check the console what it says.

This is what I’m trying to figure out - it is made out to be a switch to block users (but no switch appears).

Thank you! Went looking for it and thought it was gone again!

For presence detection with the UniFi component (or any presence component…), defaulting to creating device trackers for every single discovered device on your network doesn’t seem like the correct default behavior. At least with the old UniFi device_tracker, you could tell it to no track by default, and it only polluted a single file with all the new devices that appeared over time on your network.

If we’re heading towards a 1.0 release that’s going to appeal to a new segment of “non-early adopter” users, I would imagine the only device_trackers they (and others) would likely be interested in are those associated with “personal devices” like mobile phones, tablets and maybe a laptop. Or maybe your wi-fi connected car.

I wouldn’t think most people would care about all the other random devices on your network as a default choice. Isn’t this a pretty big regression as compared to the previous component?

1 Like

While I do have a Unifi cloud key I don’t currently use it for tracking. Does this mean it will when I update?

Honestly that sounds terrible. I have well over 100 wireless devices on my network. If I want any of them tracked I want to explicitly say so.

In ADR 0006: Docker Images it says “… some things are not supported on Alpine. For example, TensorFlow …”. But in 0.97 release notes it says that “You don’t need to change anything unless you have installed Debian packages manually or made any other changes to the running container”.

Will Tensorflow break on 0.98? :fearful:

Alpine is only running the home assistant docker image. If your base OS is still debian, you can still run tensorflow.

My base OS is Ubuntu/Debian :ok_hand:

So if I understand correctly - the Tensorflow component in Home Assistant will still work? Or do you mean that Tensorflow must be run in a separate docker container?

Hey, thanks for the update!

I clicked the Update button in Hassio but since then (15 min) I haven’t been able to connect to hassio.

I’m trying to figure out what can be wrong, I’m using a rasp pi 3 b+ that was connected to my network over wifi.
Could that be a problem, that it’s connected to wifi only?
What else can I do to see the log of what’s going on?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Okay so an update of my progress in case anyone has a similar problem.

I restarted the pi. Was still unable to connect to hassio so I plugged in a network cable and then I was able to connect to hassio.
I still had the old version (0.96.5) so I tried updating again, now with the network cable connected I could still enter the system log.

19-08-09 12:43:12 INFO (SyncWorker_11) [hassio.docker.interface] Update image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:0.96.5 to homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:0.97.0
19-08-09 12:43:12 INFO (SyncWorker_11) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant tag 0.97.0.

After 5 minutes the update was done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It never showed me the web page.
I can access it by samba, but ssh is not configured to run at boot (major error).
I don’t have an external monitor, so i guess i have to reinstall it…
My configuration had just a couple of things, it’s not a major deal to reinstall.
But i will think twice next time an update is available via the web page.

The breaking changes to the Ecobee thermostat have destroyed required thermostat functionality. The thermostat implementation previously had two variables, climate_mode and preset_mode. These tracked the schedule of the thermostat and the hold mode of the thermostat. The change has bundled these two variables together. Now you can’t cancel an indefinite hold when a schedule change occurs for example. I don’t see the point of this breaking change.

I find the new UniFi component a huge positive change. Details about each device is really useful for future endeavours. Besides that it also means a cleanup of various legacy yaml code for me personally. Leaner and meaner in the end.

The initial work was however not clear from the sparse information provided. Impact of this braking change is simply not really known beforehand, you have to dive into an upgrade. IMHO the impact should be more clarified to us - the end-users - or at least point to the right resources.

1 Like

Excactly my point - I’m not interested in all 200-ish devices on my net, only our mobile phones are interesting.
Before the upgrade I could tell the system to not track anything by default, and then go in the known_devices.yaml and allow tracking of specific devices - can’t find that option after the update.

1 Like

Just don’t enable the integration with Unifi and it won’t see any of them. Once you enable they all become device_trackers, including your wired components.

1 Like

@gregbm looks like you are familiar with Ecobee. Please open an issue and tag me so we can discuss how Ecobee can work better with the new format for climate in Home Assistant. I was under the impression that hold would be shown as the preset mode, while a hold mode can be canceled by picking a comfort mode from the available presets

Therein lies the problem. I use the UniFi component today, and it’s the most reliable means of sensing presence for me. Thus how I view this as a regression, lacking the ability to selectively control which devices are tracked, like was possible previously.

I don’t need to use Home Assistant as some sort of network management platform to monitor the availability of all the devices on my network; there are other much better, more appropriate tools to solve that problem.