10.4 network configuration location

Where is the networking client configuration information for Haos_ova-10.4 located? I have ssh access to the box but I can’t see the networking files in /etc/, /etc/NetworkManager and /etc/network

I am trying to setup a VLAN if you have any pointers for the new release. This seems like a good starting point Setup VLAN and HA tutorial - #6 by cr0muald0

Through the SSH addon, I suppose?
To get access to HAOS proper, see

Hi Robert,
If you read the thread, there is an updated version of the tutorial later on.
Keep digging :slight_smile:

HI @cr0muald0 ,

I assume you referring to Setup VLAN and HA tutorial - #111 by cr0muald0 It really is hard finding the most current up-to-date version. I’ll ask the obvious question — any reason why not a web page?

I need to read this as well. Setup VLAN and HA tutorial - #154 by cr0muald0 since I am running kvm. I am also missing nmcli but assumed it was a difference with the 10.4 release.

I understand your question, but this forum as been since my early days with HA, for me and many others, a central place for help and instructions, that’s why. Not long ago, I added a warning/information about a more updated version of the tutorial on top of the initial tutorial reply post, since HA tends to change a bit from version to version. From your description, I’m guessing you are just missing the ssh add-on, and all the rest should go smoothly :slight_smile:

For me, the tutorial needs to change to from SSH addon to SSH debugging. I had to use port 22222 for everything. Otherwise files were missing…

From what I read below there are at least two version of the ssh add-on; official and community. I think I installed the official one and it did not work for me. For your step #1, I would point out that you need to use the community ssh add-on or use ssh debugging. The official ssh add-on will NOT work. :frowning:

…SSH access through the [SSH add-on] (which will give you SSH access through port 22) will NOT provide you with all the necessary privileges

I guess you did not read/follow the tutorial properly because instruction number 1 is actually:
Install and configure (according to documentation) the “Home Assistant Community Add-on: SSH & Web Terminal” add-on in System > Add-ons
There is a link to the webpage of the add-on (proper configuration of the add-on required).

You do not need port 2222 ssh access to configure vlans (you can do the vlan configuration at the host level with debug access, but it is not mandatory, because dbus configures it with nmcli proper commands).
Same problem already discussed here:

with reply just under.

Yes my bad. I just saw ssh and thought they were equivalent. My mistake. Again, I dislike forums since they have all the information its just harder to find.

I should have posted that I got everything work now. Thanks for your help.

I also found this page useful. https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/blob/eba7099adcf20ebafd84015c90c615191a7bfc71/Documentation/configuration.md

Here is how I did the usb drive. Using a file (drive IMG) instead of a physical USB flash drive for developer's ssh access. It explains the drive structure.