100% python HomeKit integration for HA is coming

Hi all!

If you -like me- are not happy with the current HA - nodejs - homebridge setup to integrate Apple HomeKit/Siri into your setup there is good news.

As some report homebridge uses ~10% cpu on a Raspberry Pi, this is a also a newsflash to make you happy.

I was going to implement the protocol myself when I recently googled again on “HomeKit python” I found HAP-python on github. Although some minor issues had to be fixed, Ivan (the author) is great in implementing those and yesterday evening I had success with actually controlling my window covers from the home app on my iPhone/iPad. The day before I successfully implemented a temperature and a humidity sensor I waited for an announce here until I had two way communication.

It is still in the early stages of testing how things work (I’m an experienced low level python progrogrammer) in HomeAssistant. I am in the #dev chat box and there I got so may great responses I thought about sharing it with you, here!

There is a thread in “development” (“Native” HomeKit integration) where I share my working code, just to get comments. I am planning the configuration to be fully integrated in the HA setup (configuration.yaml). So there is lots of work to be done.

Once I am happy with the core of the glue between hap-python and HA I will put it on github so people can contribute. I know a great deal about HomeKit since I have implemented a great deal of custom components via homebridge. I was able to control my Yamaha receiver and Bravia TV via Siri, setting all the inputs and power for commands like “hey Siri, watch cnn” to switch the tv on, tune to cnn, switch on the receiver and select the input for tv sound. Same for my ps4, radio stations etc. the only thing I hated was the nodejs crap (sorry, i feel that way) as most of the plugins contained more bugs that proper code. This made me switch to HA and (my bad) to later find out that the HomeKit integration was via homebridge!

So know that I have a working first start do not expect things to work for you in the next few days. I want it to be done properly. I will post status updates here. But will keep the development stuff in the other tread. Tag this topic so you get the updates, and yes I know that many of you share the same thoughts about the current nodejs implementation as the only solution. I have got hundereds of positive responses, please do not reply to this thread by saying “yes, great work, i’m Waiting for this” etc. just like this message. I just will post updates here and there is no use in hiding my updates between all those positive vibes!

So sorry, there is still a lot of work to do and be patient!

Martijn

10 Likes

This is awesome - despite being experienced with many aspects of HomeAssistant, I never successfully got the bridge working so I gave up. This will make things a LOT easier! It will also indirectly allow integration with AppDaemon :slight_smile:

I look forward to following your progress!

1 Like

I really look forward to a more tightly knit integration to homekit.

I might check out your wip to give feedback and learn more about it

Come on! This is a very, very good integration.