1st try "device doesn't support that", 2nd try usually works

This is probably an Amazon issue and not a HA issue but I’m looking for your experiences and tips.

I have a Xiaomi Robot Vacuum integrated via Home Assistant. I have to say “Alexa, start the vacuum” twice as the first time almost always gets me “the device doesn’t support that”, but the second, exactly same command usually works. Sometimes this takes several tries.

It’s the same whether I use this as a direct command, or if I create a routine that listens for “Alexa, start the vacuum” and then turns it on. I can use other commands but my OCD brain wants this to work - it’s annoying.

The vacuum always starts when invoked via the Xiaomi app or the Home Assistant interface, so it’s probably not an issue with the integration or the vacuum itself. There’s nothing relevant in HA log.

Any tips?

I think so - possibly some sort of timeout. There is a similar issue where Alexa says “The device is not responding” then it starts anyway - several frustrated threads about that.

Have you tried replacing the ‘turn on vacuum’ bit of your Alexa routine with something in HA that should be guaranteed to work - run a script, for example - then have the script start the robot? That would insert a sort of buffer between Alexa and the vacuum.

1 Like

Have you tried replacing the ‘turn on vacuum’ bit of your Alexa routine with something in HA that should be guaranteed to work

That looks like a good idea, thank you. I’ll report back if I can solve the issue.