2.0 Release Update

Is there any new attempt to release the app via the offical store or do we need to stay on the beta?

Hey there! Just want to get any info with 2.0 release.
Are we even waiting for it? What is happening right now? Any development? Is app freezed? I can not find any news from devs on that…

Just want to know what is happening and what ways are devs looking for.

I’m currently on version 0.100.3 of HA and 2.0.0 (68) of Companion. Everything is mostly working well. Every once in a while, however, I get a blank app screen (blue bar at the top) with the orange configuration cog. It seems to occur when a connection is slow or spotty, or when I’m changing networks. I can still pull up a log when it occurs, but I see nothing much beyond typical notifications. Sometimes I see GPS is off by 1000 meters, but that seems unrelated to the problem. I’ve tried to close Companion and reopen it, but that doesn’t work. One remedy that works is to restart the HA server locally; I have yet to try it via Nabu Casa web access.

Has anyone else seen the same thing? Is the problem in Companion or elsewhere? Any ideas?

This is known behavior when cell coverage is marginal or the phone is at the edge of wifi coverage and roaming between networks. Nothing to be done about it.

The gps about 1000m off is from the app using iOS significant location change when in the background to conserve battery - it’s not a navigation app after all - and the location is only updated in ios based on cell towers and not from more localised/precise sources like wifi and gps. Also when driving.

It’s not a bug but remember the purpose of the app is not to create a precise stalking tool but to base automations on geofencing :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’m not really complaining about the GPS behavior. I mentioned the entries in passing when characterizing the log entries.

Shouldn’t we expect connectivity to recover when the phone is solidly in WiFi or cellular range. As is, the app is sometimes deadlocked. Is there a convenient way to recover short of resetting the HA server? It’s not very convenient to do remotely, and there’s a small risk the server won’t recover gracefully.

You can always try force closing the app and restarting it. There is nothing on the HA side of things that should require a restart.

I’ve tried that, and it comes up in the same deadlocked state.

I agree, but that’s not the way the system is behaving.

The HA server has no problem communicating with my desktop computer, but the iPhone Companion app on the same network remains unresponsive if it joined the network that way. Curiously, an HA server restart immediately clears the problem on the iPhone once the server is up and running.

If it’s a communication issue, I suppose the problem could reside within any element in the path (Companion, HA, Cloud Integration, or the Nabu Casa server). FWIW, I’ve had no similar issue with Companion 1.5.1, but once the link is frozen with V 2.0, starting up the old version doesn’t work either.

If no other person has seen anything similar, it could be unique to my HA server or network (my WiFi router is old enough to vote). Everything else is pretty common to other HA users.

@pocket Everyone in my household is experiencing the same thing. Orange bar at the top with ‘The request timed out’, and sometimes an API error. Occasionally it logs in, but it doesn’t seem directly correlated with HA restarts.

I just got mine to work by manually entering the nabu casa address for external access, but I’m not sure if it will stick this time.

1 Like

You should never enter the nabu casa address… none of the webhooks and sensors will work.

I think you could be looking at storage issues if you’re running on a pi. Maybe a dying sd card?

Speaking for myself, I’m not running a Rpi. My configuration runs on a dedicated system having no MicroSD card.

Unfortunately (as I documented above) it also kills the ability to properly use it for geofencing at home when your home has marginal cell coverage – the phone goes wandering off many many miles away in the middle of the night. Without combining mine with WiFi router as another source of proximity, it would trigger automations all night long. :wink:

It’s NOT as innocuous a problem as it seems.

You may want to invest in a couple of iBeacons. That would definitely fix your gps drift at home as beacons would be used to determine whether the phone is still inside the zone.

Even with iBeacons configured to identify your home zone, your phone GPS coordinates will continue to drift. I’m in a poor coverage area to. Created a couple of input Boolean switches to augment my automations. Still have an occasional misfire.

Oh definitely. I just use WiFi detection to kill the wandering. Have other iOS apps that seem to know to wait a bit for the accuracy to come up before using it, also.

I showed the debugging above I think. Bad locations always show up as accuracy 5005.5 on my carrier at home no matter where they are on the map. App says it throws them away and seems to, but the phones still wander.

Ultimately I believe the platform (Apple’s, not the app) is just super weak for geofencing. Ironically the Google Maps shared location thing is an order of magnitude more accurate on iOS. Sad for Apple, but it’s theirs to fix. :wink:

How do I get the new update. I’m running 1.5.1. I have installed TestFlight. Regards.

You might try the link found at this post:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/2-0-release-update/122298/313

1 Like

Thank you, got it working, donation on the way.

PS can I have the link for the best way to donate please.

https://www.patreon.com/robbiet480

1 Like

Sorted, Thank you.

I use iPhone 11 Pro and Activity reporting is completely wrong almost all the time. Like today - it ignored my run and then, when it was static on a table, tagged it as automotive… Any clues?