(2) CC2652R vs (15) CC2531 in every room

This is a theoretical question, but what would create a better zigbee network, 15+ CC2531 units in every room, or 2 CC2652R units? This example is for a 4000 sq foot, 3 story home (incl. basement).

(I was searching for some CC2652R questions and stumbled across your empty post, so I’ll give it a go!)

It depends on what type of devices will be on your mesh network. If you have 100% routers (light bulbs and wall plugs) then all you need is 1 Coordinator (either of the CC sticks, depending on network size. 2531 for a smaller network and 2652 for larger networks) because the routers will always be online handling traffic. But if you have a ton of EndDevices, like battery powered sensors, then you may want to place extra CC2531’s flashed as routers scattered around your house.

If it were me, I’d pick a CC2652R as the Coordinator, have all the light bulbs and switches act as routers and place extra CC2531’s flashed as routers in spots with low connectivity or near groups of EndDevices.

1 Like

There are few sources to indicate that the limit of cc2531 is approx 40 devices. I hit my limit today. Gave up on z2m. I love it. It supports tons of devices. But i just dont have the right hardware at the moment. I hit the roof at 45 devices. I had multiple router to support my end devices. It just that cc2531 wasnt design to take on so many devices. Fyi. I m living in a 990sqft apartment. Not a huge space.

Agreed. I switched to Slaesh’s CC2652RB stick and it’s been excellent. Range is way better and I’ve never had to reset it where with the CC2531 I had to reset it weekly.

Hey, also, mine sharing how many direct devices and total device in your network currently?

I just moved so it’s not as many as it used to be… I have 11 devices connected right now and only 3 of them are the coordinator or are routers.