2 device tracker, where is a device connected

is there anyone who has more devicetrackers on different places in the house and wants to know to which one you are connected?

i have 2 seperate parts in the house. in the first i have a fritzbox and in de second i have a connected tplink.
if my Phone is on with wifi it shows as home.

i would like to see in which part of the house the Phone is connected.

I solved a similar scenario by assigning 2 different IPs depending on where my phone is connected and 2 different entities using nmap.

When I’m connected to AP 1, as I have IP 1 it shows one component, when I’m connected to AP 2 with IP2 shows the other one.

Might not be the best solution but works for me.

1 Like

can you tell me how you did that on nmap?

and i guess that requires that both AP’s have DHCP on?

Yepp that’s what is required for that but I guess that’s a no go for you if you use WDS Bridge mode.
The fritzbox shows which devices is connected via the second ap in it’s interface so maybe the component could be extended for that to work somehow?

1 Like

untill now i had a small hootoo AP.
that would only function when i used it with DHCP.
I didnt find any way to get to the connectins at all.
now i bought a new small TPlink.

i wanted to set it so up that i see the devices that are connected to the tplink in my fritzbox, bcause then it shows up in my HA. but then i remembered that our mobile is also at home when i connect overthere.
and then i have to reprogram my automations.

the nice way would be if the fritzbox devicetracker could be extended, but if i can use a second option in the meantime, that would be no problem.

i already installed nmap, because i hoped to be able to acces the hootoo AP :wink:

i see how i can get 2 IP adresses for 1 device, but how to get 2 different device names show up in HA is a mistery to me :wink:

Sorry, my previous note wasn’t clear enough… Yes, I have 2 (very restricted) DHCP servers in my network that are offering known IPs for known devices (by MAC address - this is how I discriminate where is the device connected to) and very small IP range for unknown ones.

In the known_devices I have 2 devices for each physical device. With that I know where each device is connected.

I’m not at home and can’t get the config files for you… Sorry.

1 Like