2 different USB serial adapters with identical ID possible?

My setup is HA as a VM in Proxmox. For different purposes 3 USB adapters with different ID’s are configured (by HW port). One of the three identifies as a CH340 serial (zigbee stick) in HA:

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0

This works flawlessly and survives reboots.

This approach falls apart when I add another CH340 type of serial adapter. It is a 1 channel USB relay. I want to use this relay to control a pump and prefer to do by wire for stability reasons.

Now I have 2 devices with identical ID’s. This is something the CH340 is known for.

It works if in Proxmox I configure the relay by hw port also. In the running HA VM it will then show up as USB3 and can be switched. But when I reboot the Proxmox host the USBx mapping for the two CH340 serial adapters mix up rendering both the zigbee stick and the relay unusable.

HA:
ttyUSB0
ttyUSB3

Proxmox:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics CH340 serial converter
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics CH340 serial converter

I omitted the other two adapters from the list above.

Is it possible to use two USB devices with identical ID’s in a single HA VM? If so, can someone stop me pulling my hair out? :slight_smile:

• Core 2024.4.0
  • Supervisor 2024.03.1
  • Operating System 12.1

Looks like you are not the only one struggling:

Pls read some more here, there is some nice tips in there :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to the article. Solution presented there gives me a feeling of a solution built with paper clip, glue and cello tape :slight_smile: I take this as a Not possible.