2 living rooms with 2 google homes (or alexas): Is it possible to use the same voice command and do different stuff, depending on which room I'm in?

Hey everyone,

Pretty much explained in the title.
I have two living rooms with a google device and an alexa device in each.
I want to say “Turn on living room lights” and have the lights on in the room that I’m currently in.

Is it possible?
TiA

Yes, if you have set up the rooms correctly.

If you put the lights and the alexa in one room in the alexa app, then it works. it should actually work with ‚alexa turn lights on‘. naming living room in the command might even confuse more (depending on how the rooms and lights are named).

Thanks for the replies.

So the job is done in the alexa app?
It choses the “just” lights that are in the same room as the device?
Do I set up rooms or something else in HA?

No way to handle this on the HA-side? (so I can further set up play/pause commands and HVAC?)

Do rooms work only in Alexa or its similar in Google assistant?

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of Node Red, this can be done using the node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel (node) - Node-RED pallet. If you rely on Alexa, you are stuck with only using “turn off/on lights” and the lights must be grouped. It doesn’t work with other devices like fans and blinds. If using the Node Red pallet, you are unlimited in your commands and devices. I do all of this thru Hubitat but I can say “It’s hot in here” and the ceiling fan in the room that I am in will turn on. There is an extensive thread here by someone who did it in Home Assistant & did a much more complicated version than I did. I don’t remember who it was. Try searching for “Room Aware Node Red”.

I see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to use the Node Red option to send TV or HVAC commands. If you decide to go down that hole, I can give you some more details.

For Alexa you group Echos and devices in the Alexa app.

Google Assistant can take the areas that you configured in Home Assistant or you can also do it in the Google Home app.