$20 6 Port Individually Controllable Powerstrip found!

I found a 6 port individually controllable power strip that reports back the energy usage per plug. I wanted to share my find and a few things about the device in case anyone is looking for something similar.

The device is the Greenwave Multi socket PowerNode US NP222-B device. I could only find this item being sold from MonoPrice.com (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39425). It is currently being sold for $20 plus shipping. The device didn’t come with a manual or any paper or digital documentation, but I found a copy of the manual online: https://usermanual.wiki/Greenwave-Systems/GNS22/pdf.

It is clear to me based on the manual I found, that this device is not intended to be paired with any device other than its proprietary hub, but following the include instructions on the device were clear and everything is working as expected so far.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out. Picked one up. I’ll report back with my findings in a few days.

1 Like

Good find! What are some use cases for this? I can’t think of a situation where I’d have several devices that I want to control like this connected to the same power strip, but it’s tempting to buy lol.

1 Like

I have a dumb TV and amplifier, I can control them with an IR sender but don’t know if they are on/off. Based on power consumption I can tell if they are on or off.

I currently use two sonoff pow plugs to do this. This will free those up to monitor other devices.

Here is how I create the switch.

And an example automation to turn them off when we leave.

3 Likes

I have a ton of lamps, christmas lights etc in my garage/man cave. Its always annoying for me to go around and turn them all on or off when I want to use the space. I plan on plugging everything into to this smart power strip and combining it with a smart switch to make my life just a little bit easier. If I want it dimmer or brighter I can have scenes to turn on/off additional lights. The power monitoring was just a bonus, but the price made it a no brainer for me, especially since I was already purchasing other items from the site so shipping was free.

Ah, makes sense.

1 Like

That’s a good idea too!

@belgian_style are you getting power data back from the strip?

I don’t think these are zwave plus !

It’s not, but it’s also $20 lol

didnt’ realize this was back on the market, I always regretted I didn’t buy a few at the time.

however, check these ratings on https://homey.app/nl-nl/app/com.greenwavesystems/Greenwave-Systems/

people seem to have issues all over with it

Oof. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised for $20

Yes, I do see power information being returned (see screenshot below). Full Disclosure… I made some changes to my OZW config to get my Inovelli switches recognized (followed these steps: https://community.inovelli.com/t/dimmer-support-in-homeassistant/666/23?u=belgian_style) and now I’m having issues with this device. Two of the switch ports are now unavailable and the order doesn’t match what it was prior to the changes. I am about to exclude and reinclude this device to see if that fixes things… hopefully it won’t make anything worse. Prior to making the config changes, everything was basically working as expected.

36 PM

I have some of the 1-port greenwaves, they run without any issues (including power metering). The only annoying thing is the green led, which is solved by polling once every few hours…

Mind you that if you have zwave-plus devices, these can seriously degrade your network performance if they start routing for the plus devices.

I’m not really annoyed by the green LED, I think there is a config option to stop the LED from lighting up. Is there a way to remove this device from causing the network issues? Can I remove it from being able to route additional nodes messages?

You can not turn the LED off, you can only set the interval to max 255 minutes. After that, it will start blinking if it is not being polled.

You can not prevent is from routing. If I add it in a particular socket in my home, for some reason all my communication to the plus nodes go via them. I have a severely lagging network if that happens.

I’m having the same issue here: no power consumption info. It seems to read the value when I restart HomeAssistant but there’s never any change after that.

Nevertheless, for $20 I think it will work nicely to avoid vampire draw from my TV, FireTV, Chromescast(s), SoundBar, etc. while I can switch any of 6 items on & off individually.

For those who have this device, if you call zwave.refresh_entity you should see the power entity update. Although it is not ideal that is how I got updates. I think also if you enable polling it should work too.

Yeah I noticed if I refreshed the node it pulled the power data once.

I was reading the manual and it seems different settings on the small wheel do different things. Not sure where mine ended up, hoping that gets me real time data.

You have me concerned about it not being zwave+… :confounded: this device, along with 3 other zwave+ Devices are all living in my garage, along with the HA pi. I have this mounted up in the rafters and likely due to that height elevation, it have virtually every other node in the house as a neighbor (not the case for other zwave+ devices in the garage). Does simply having this power strip as a neighbor mean my other zwave+ device messages are routed through it, effectively stripping the + features of the whole network?