$20 6 Port Individually Controllable Powerstrip found!

stalr5, did you end up getting it paired? I’m using the same stick and am having trouble pairing to HA.

No luck, Now I have 4 dumb power strips lying around.
It just wont pair, no logs, and no signs of any switches in the services tab. :(. Wish I could really get them working.
As per the manual, you just have to hold the pair button for more than 2 secs, to pair it with the hub, but it didn’t work with HUSBZB-1

I was able to pair it with my HUSBZB-1, but I think it might have taken multiple tries.

1 Like

When I paired my two power strips, they were both physically near my Aeotec USB stick. I have no reason to think that’s necessary since I’ve paired a dozen or so zwave dimmers all over the house. But maybe try physical proximity? I don’t think it should be necessary…

1 Like

Thanks @Tediore @lmamakos , Does the power strip show up in the Zwave nodes tab ? I was able to pair the energy meter that came with the green wave kit, and it shows up as new node.

looks pretty dope

I have mine within 3 or 4 feet of my pi. I’ve tried probably 3 dozen times, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. No sign of it in the states section of developer options. Thisnis my first Z-Wave device I’m trying to pair. Should the ozw log show anything when I click add node? It just stays on “nothing to do” after I’ve started up the Z-Wave network. The only node Under is the stick itself

Apparently I’m a ding dong. I forgot I had to unpair them from the hub they came with. Once I did that it worked instantly

2 Likes

Hi,

Finally got round to ordering my zwave stick and after many a false start it’s online and I’m ready to go. I have 4x 1 ports and a about 5 of the six ports. So far I have connected 1 of the single ports and am playing with it.

So many questions. :exploding_head:
So little time. Will be doing some reading and setting up this one now and get something going.
1st things first, getting turning on and off then figure out the polling issue to stop the disco lights.

Apologies for the next few posts.

Hi all,
I’ve got the single point switch working , now for the green flashing lights, do i go to zwave configuration -> zwave node management -> find the node -> find the energy entity -> then change the polling intensity to 1 and that should then use the polling interval of 60000 (by default)

by choosing the energy entity will i also get the energy consumption at the same poll?

thanks
Ezekiel

What is the preferred way of getting the power reporting on these strips? Using the refresh_node service on the node or setting the polling on each entity? Or some other third thing?

If I use the node refresh service I see that it initializes the node every time. Is that likely to cause any issues if I run that, say, every 10 seconds?

Conversely according to the docs polling should only be used as last resort due to its possible impact on system performance.

And After playing around a bit more…

I unplugged the power strip and moved it to it’s final location. After that the node was indicating “dead”. I waited a bit for its status to update but it never did so I restarted HA. After that the strip came back up alive but all of the power monitoring sensors were then “unavailable” (switch portion worked fine). No amount of “heal network”, “test network”, “refresh node” would bring them back so I tried restarting HA again and then everything came back again. I have to say it’s a bit flustering to have to mess around so much. Hopefully everything will work better after this.

But…

Now I’ve got a bunch more entities than I had before from the device.

Does anyone know what the purpose of the following entities is?

sensor.tank_power_strip_exporting
sensor.tank_power_strip_indicator
sensor.tank_power_strip_interval

All of the “exporting” entities are showing “false”
The “indicator” entity is “0”.
All of the “interval” entities are now “9” but a couple had shown as “8” before.

Oh, and last it seems that the power reporting seems to work on mine without setting any polling for each entity or doing a node refresh call. At least for now.

I’ve not tried to use the power measurement stuff; I put off figuring something out about doing a periodic “node refresh” to coax the data out it, and realized that I wasn’t missing having the data available. For me, I’m only switching outlets on and off, and that seems to work pretty reliably.

That said, I think that the Z-Wave protocol stack and implementation in this device sucks pretty hard, which is probably reflected in the cheap price. I’ve reduced my expectations to match that :slight_smile:

I’m not seeing those 3 sensors showing up in my Home Assistant instance…

I kept reading about nobody getting it to work and after i set up a polling intensity for a few power entities I noticed that everything else was also working. So I got rid of the polling config and it all just works now. The only thing I have is a change from the default polling_interval from 60000 to a value of 10000. But I’ve used that same config for as long as I’ve had my zwave network running with no issues.

Since you say that your power reporting doesn’t work without forcing it and don’t have those nodes I wonder if they might have improved the firmware a bit since you bought yours. I just got mine two days ago.

I got polling working on these well. I dropped the polling interval and it runs ok. But it’s one of those things now that I know what the power consumption is I don’t look at it much. I will start looking at notifications based on power usage soon. I.e. washing machine usage triggers TTS to say the washing is finished so the kids can do some chores :smile:

what setting did you have to change?

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Ok so in the configuration.yaml I have the polling_interval: 5000.
I dropped it that low to cover the rare use case when someone turned on the single port greenwave physical switch for the lamp in the activity room so it would update the status on the dashboard in under a minute.

In terms of other settings I went to configuration->integration->z-wave->configure.
I then select the node under the nodes area. Then under entities of the node, I selected the entity I’m interested in. I get 5 entities per power port/plug, a switch, a power sensor, an energy sensor, a previous power sensor and a previous energy sensor then in the polling interval I put a number. If its something I’m very interested in I put 1, if its something I’m not overly interested in I put a 4 if its not of interest I put 0 (zero).

I’ll have to find it to confirm this next part but I read on the forum early on that the polling is done as a round robin but i think its done by device. So power board 1 port 1 entity 1 then power board 2 port 1 entity 1, then powerboard 1 port 1 entity 2. I’m not 100% sure I’ll need to go back through my bookmarks and notes to find it. or its powerboard 1 entities and then on the next pass its powerboard 2 all entities. the polling interval helps define which ones it asks for each pass and when it can skip it.

so i have a mix of polling intervals for the devices i have some 6 port powerboards and 3x single port ones all appear to work well. I’m using the standard z-wave integration not the new beta one and not using MQTT (yet)

i have 3x 6in1 z-wave sensors for temp, light, motion, humidity that I use for automations and they work well too (they aren’t greenwave but they appear to route through without issue)

hope that helps

Ezekiel

1 Like

Has anyone converted to zwave is with these devices? The lack of polling is a hesitation and with all the new energy works in place I don’t want to lose the feature to get the data

1 Like

Bit the bullet over the weekend and went to zwavejs with the Mqtt plugin using web sockets as polling is available, system is all up and running as before.

1 Like

How did you set up the polling for these devices?