200+ devices with ZHA

I’m building a new home that will have over 200 zigbee devices. There will be a few routers (10 or so), 150+ sengled bulbs, and probably around 50 aqara devices. I’m currently using ZHA with a conbee 2 as the coordinator in my current home. I read somewhere that the max zigbee devices that you can have with conbee 2 is 200 (directly connected and connected through router). Most of my devices will be connected through the routers as I know the conbee 2 has a 32 directly connected device limit.

If this is a hard value with conbee 2, can anyone recommend a coordinator that can support over 200 devices in a zigbee network?

Note that I tried to setup a xbee 3 as a coordinator with ZHA, but not matter how I configured the xbee 3 it would only show up as a router…

Anything CC2652 based will support more than that. You can’t connect more than 200 Zigbee 3.0 devices, but the total number of devices can far exceed that.

Just confirm your sengled bulbs can act as routers as they have an history of not being able to.
Do any of the Smart LED bulbs function as a ZigBee repeater? – Sengled

So are you saying that anything with the CC2652 chipset will support well over 200 devices, as long as those devices are connected through routers and not directly connected to the coordinator?

I got sengled light bulbs because they don’t act as routers as my wife tends to turn off the lights and it wrecks havoc on the zigbee mesh network to lose routers left and right like that.

See Z-Stack-firmware/coordinator at master · Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware · GitHub

• 50 direct children
  • 100 normal routes
  • 200 source routes

Cant say i have experienced a wrecked zigbee mesh with my family hard powering off lights but anyways.
If you are concerned about that would it not be better to get zigbee switches instead so they do act as repeaters as i think your going to be pushed with only 10 ish routers and potentially around 200+ endpoints. and that’s not due to the coordinator but environment factors.

I didn’t realize the sengled bulbs couldn’t act as a router and now have a lot of them and maxed out at 32. Question, what is a good router to add into the mesh? I’m open to other bulbs or switches just not sure what is good.

I would avoid trying to use bulbs as routers as they usually don’t have a big enough buffer and will drop commands in transit. Just go with a couple CC2652 routers (Google around you can buy coordinator and router variants) and you should be good to go