2021.10.0: Z-Wave S2 support, Tuya, secure ESPHome and 400 new icons

Crazy that they did this hard cutover without even feature parity.

This differs from many other integration changes like Z-wave where you could migrate when you were ready. If you upgrade to 2021.10 you WILL lose support for Tuya covers as well as other Tuya devices people have posted about.

Iā€™m really disappointed in this decision to push an ā€œupgradeā€ with reduced functionality and no transition period.

Also the release notes do a poor job of highlighting this limitation. It says Tuya is now V2 with the need to setup again but doesnā€™t mention the removal of the Tuya V1 integration explicitly.

5 Likes

Completely agree.

Iā€™ve been testing the v2 trough HACS since the beginning and itā€™s been much better (than v1) and easier to setup (than Local Tuya) and Iā€™ll keep using the HACS version while the native integration gets up to speed.

So it was weird to see this released and the fact that itā€™s quite different from what is available through HACS, but I believe itā€™ll be just some bumps on the road as the tuya devs learn how to work with HA (Some PRs had over a hundred comments and dozen of changes before getting merged). Now, if people will ā€œforgiveā€ that or not, hard to say.

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch the live stream yet, was basing myself by the info on the initial GitHub PR so this information makes it even weirder to launch without complete feature parity.

1 Like

Paulus says in the live stream @25:22 that, ā€œLocal is not planned right nowā€¦no schedule for when a local API will come availableā€. Disappointing.

4 Likes

For those that are having issues with the new Tuya integration in 2021.10 I found a reddit post where someone has created a HACS custom component from the 2021.9.7 Tuya integration to allow it to work in 2021.10. I will be testing later this evening but hereā€™s the link: https://github.com/andrey-yantsen/home-assistant-tuya-old

EDIT: Have now tested this and it seems to work fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So now we have Tuya - old edition, Tuya v2 - new and improved edition but less device support, Tuya V2 HACS edition, (different to core but presumed by everyone to be the same) and local tuya.

sigh, i pity those with tuya devices to control

10 Likes

However it should be noted this is not available in 2021.10 without custom installation from HACS.

If you upgrade to 2021.10, by default, you only have ā€œTuya v2 - new and improved edition but less device supportā€ and will lose the ability to control covers, regardless of if you had covers working with the existing Tuya integration on 2021.9.7
Poor experience.

2 Likes

Since upgraded to 2021.10.0 I see tons of these in the logs:

Logger: homeassistant
Source: /usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/runner.py:90
First occurred: 11:09:39 (190 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:26:41
Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/async_upnp_client/search.py", line 83, in _async_on_data
    await self.async_callback(headers)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/async_upnp_client/ssdp_listener.py", line 392, in _on_search
    ) = self._device_tracker.see_search(headers)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/async_upnp_client/ssdp_listener.py", line 156, in see_search
    udn = headers["_udn"]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/async_upnp_client/utils.py", line 57, in __getitem__
    return self._data[self._case_map[key.lower()]]
KeyError: '_udn'

HA Supervised on RPI4 4, Debian 11.

The UPnP/IGD integration is not used on the RPI. Wondering where the error is coming from. Neither a Supervisor nor a Host reboot remedies the latter.

Is somebody seeing similar in the logs?

I would change it slightly to say ā€œTuya v2 - new and improved edition but broken support for previously-supported device categoriesā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ve created an issue to track this on the async_upnp_client repo. It is due to the ssdp component searching for devices on your network (once per minute), and one (or more) of the devices responding in an unexpected way.

1 Like

Iā€™m fine with having an official Tuya integration that requires the cloud. But leave the original FOSS Tuya integration there as well. Let us choose which one we want to use.

Fortunately, everything worked for me once I set up the API and edited all my dashboards.

2 Likes

So not even a promise.

power = Watt, energy = Wh or kWh

it is your state_class that needs adjusting.

Anyone else does have issues with ESPhome encryption? I did add it to my device and the reconfiguration message shows in HA but adding the key to the integration somewhat does not work. I always get an ā€œCanā€™t connect to ESP. Please make sure your YAML file contains an ā€˜api:ā€™ line.ā€ error message and cannot connect encrypted whatsoever.

Also I noticed that after the upgrade my gas-meter wonā€™t work any longer:

entity_unexpected_device_class
sensor.gasverbrauch
Last reset missing
The following entities have state class 'measurement' but 'last_reset' is missing:
sensor.gasverbrauch

It worked fine before. Also when manually editing these attributes to the sensor system complains that the unit ao measurement is wrong but it is not. Itā€™s definitely set to mĀ³ which should work fineā€¦ but somehow does not. Anyone else has similar problems?

use state_class total_increasing instead of measurement.

This new Tuya integration is an interesting subject. Tuya generally has a weird tier based device model. They produce devices for hundreds of brands as a white label producer, but each brand has to define what tier (level of integration) they are paying for.

SmartThings does an integration model where the producer has to provide and maintain the code for the integration. The first Tuya brand was Globe Suite which was integrated to SmartThings. You could add Globe Suite devices to the original Tuya branded app and control them there, or add other (Tuya) branded devices to the Globe Suite app (skinned Tuya app) and control them.
But when the Globe Suite integration was added to SmartThings, it has turned out that only the Globe Suite branded devices were pulled from the API to the SmartThings system. Of course later on Tuya released a Tuya branded integration for SmartThings as well, but that doesnā€™t change the fact how it was visible where it works. The Tuya app provides a tab somewhere at the device level where you can see what services the devices works with, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, etc.
All of these integrations are separate tiers of the Tuya solution. Why wouldnā€™t be, pay for the code and server use as part of tier, and build it into the price of the device what you sell, easy enough.
It was a bit of similar story when Tuya was pulling out from the IFTTT integration, as they were not intended to pay for it. It was before IFTTT introduced their user payment model in 2020. Only one, as I can remember, some Australian skinned Tuya app was left which had the option to connect your devices with IFTTT.

I am just wondering where it will go with this Tuya maintained integration. Will Tuya introduce a tier for the Home Assistant integration where brands have to pay for that to be part of their product. Or is it even existing already and thatā€™s why some people cannot see devices added as before.

I was never really a big fun of Tuya and their model. The cloud based overhead kills the device and leaves the buyer vulnerable to when a device will reach End Of Life or the cloud been shut down, firmware not updated etcā€¦ I prefer more any Zigbee device, as this is a general issue with any WiFi based product, if it hasnā€™t got any local control. But that is part of Tuyaā€™s model as well.
I have only two Tuya/DSC devices what I have never connected to any WiFi networks or wasnā€™t able to reflash as they donā€™t use ESP chips or not supported by Tasmota. I would love to use them locally, but I think more and more that they were just a wrong purchase years ago.

7 Likes

no, check Sensor Entity | Home Assistant Developer Docs
power is either W or kW.

and state_class: measurement is correct.

That is what Iā€™m saying :

power = Watt, energy = Wh or kWh