2021.10.0: Z-Wave S2 support, Tuya, secure ESPHome and 400 new icons

Hello,

I have noticed that now Shelly devices are not reporting energy class entities and to add them to the energy dashboard, they need to be customized, did anyone have the same issue?

Yeah Tuya v2 and Tuya should theoretically be able to both exist, but apparently there is some point of conflict with that error message ImportError: cannot import name 'AuthType' from 'tuya_iot' (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tuya_iot/__init__.py) Wild guess they both use tuya_iot and there is no guide yet how to upgrade that without deleting Tuya v2.

Yes, I saw that.

So there is a difference of opinion between Ludeeus and Frenck on this.
Reading this blog it appears that Frenck is incorrect :frowning:
I was hoping to just ignore the new HA tuya integration as I don’t have covers or energy monitoring smart plugs !!

1 Like

I was unable to add my lock (BE469ZP) with the new S2 security – it just resulted in a generic node with no security/functionality

Yes they are.

Whereas I think the fact that a company recognises that HA / open source is a player in this market and are willing to set up and officially support an integration is great news.

I just think it’s not working well enough to be merged into core yet, the week’s outage shows that cloud-based integration is an inferior way to go, and we should be pressing for local control to avoid broken smart homes as happened this week.

Just remember that Tuya could choose to turn off the APIs tomorrow, rather than maintain an integration, the way that other companies seem bent on doing.

Echoing others disappointment in the new Tuya integration. Fortunately, I only have one Tuya device, but this wouldn’t work properly in the new integration because you can’t set a scaling factor. I’ve gone back to the old tuya integration using the https://github.com/andrey-yantsen/home-assistant-tuya-old add-in and all is well again, but it’s really disappointing that this release was made with such a bad breaking change.

1 Like

Wait, so the new “Tuya” is “Tuya v2”?

What’s the difference then between the old “Tuya v2” (beta thing, we had until yesterday) and the new “Tuya v2” (now called “Tuya” as official integration)? If they ported it, the difference should be 0, I guess, except if old “Tuya v2” is an old branch and the new one has a few more updates. :man_shrugging:

Looks like the MSSQL fix just got merged and will likely make it into .1 Thanks all.

Now, back to the Tuya discussion…

1 Like

Where is this support?

1 Like

That’s a good point, but I’m prepared to give them more than 4 days.

Exactly, not one Tuya dev has popped up to try and help people.
People logging issues on the HA github have them closed off as soon as they mention they had the old other v2 integration as its a custom integration. These peopleas were many were under the impression the v2 there is what was in the core.
The other tuya v2 in HACS seems to have been left to die by Tuya
Sorry but these people have been abandoned by the Tuya devs and HA is copping the flak for it

5 Likes

Indeed, its totalt broken.

Come on, this is a major change in Tuya integration and no sign of any support.

I know this treatment of customers may be acceptable in commercial circles (ever tried to get MS to help you with windows?) but it is not what we expect around here.

FFS we even have tuya devs asking for community support to add tuya devices to HA. WTF? Surely they shouldn’t need help to port their own damned devices.

2 Likes

I did test it and no they do not play nice together.

Although for that matter the new tuya doesn’t really work worth a damn yet with HA.

You need to remove the old before updating and you can install the new and re-add everything fine for the most part.
That’s where the good news ends because once you add it to the dashboard it doesn’t work and the enties states remain at the state they were added and never update.
How the hell something this big made it through is beyond me as it impossible to miss.

The new tplink app behaves better then the new tuya but it doesnt fix what it says it does lol.

I believe what really going on here is the lied.

The wanted to change out the api to have more security and control and used the idea of local control to get people to test it and point out problems.
This was likely about money and greed rather then working with the community to improve things for the buyers/users.

I would suspect local tuya going to get blocked soon as all they need do is block access to the local keys which is simple to do on their end.

Sadly HA catching lot of flak for this but they are not totally innocent either.

They got what they wanted and left sadly.

I think that’s a naive view.

Tuya don’t need HA for anything. We’re a drop in the ocean in terms of consumers of their technology. They could have turned off the API we use tomorrow and 99.98% of users of their tech would never notice.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the process is totally botched, and after the outage and issues earlier in the week, I now consider Tuya too unreliable to put in my home until there is an easier way to do local integration and there is some sort of reassurance that the local control integration is not about to be sabotaged.

1 Like

Look at the evidence first.

Tuya could not merely turn off the api as they need a replacement or they piss of a lot of people and more then a few companies.

What better way to get free testing and insure they get more control then to use people to test the product by promising something they never intended to deliver to get people to do the testing for them.

They already said now they have no plans for local tuya and all dev have no gone radio silent.

All evidence and behaviour points to this being the intended outcome from the start.

Given that they now have a more secure api and more control it likely they are now going to block other methods around there app.

I dealt with enough companies like apple to know that it what they want and as long as it doesn’t effect their bottom line they do what they want because they know they can.

i hope i am wrong but given their behaviour it seems like it a accurate assessment.

I’ve had the same issue. After reading the error messages, I managed to resolve this one for now by doing:

export CRYPTOGRAPHY_DONT_BUILD_RUST=1

And then doing the upgrade of home assistant. I’m saying “for now” because this method will no longer work when a newer version of cryptography is needed for home assistant.