2021.10.0: Z-Wave S2 support, Tuya, secure ESPHome and 400 new icons

How do we start the zwavejs migration wizard?

2 Likes

Great release!

Special mentions for:
Yeelights, which are just better than ever after every release!
The new Tuya which is much better than the old integration and must’ve taken a lot of work to bring to HA, now we await for local control!
Ans also the Statistics panel for fixing data issues!

If you are using the Drayton Wiser integration from HACS, you need to upgrade to the latest version before upgrading HA. The previous version of the Wiser integration was using that ruamel.yaml that was removed.

does the Tuya intergration also supports energy/power for switches?

I get the following error:

2021-10-06 21:04:19 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error occurred loading configuration flow for integration tuya: cannot import name 'AuthType' from 'tuya_iot' (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tuya_iot/__init__.py)

You have an old version of tuya-iot-py-sdk in use.
Start by checking your custom itnegrations, the core integration require version “0.5.0”

thank you for the answer. Does it require delete of Tuya 2?

If you mean https://github.com/tuya/tuya-home-assistant then yes, that uses an old version.

From the yet to be merged doc PR:
The migration wizard is available from the zwave integration configuration panel in the GUI.

2 Likes

Typo on the blog entry “NEATGEAR” instead of “NETGEAR”

Is this meant to be the previously officially supported “openzwave beta” one :smiley:

Edit: I would love to see that! I have a long to-do list with this in the top 3. But holding me back due to a lot of renaming entities and change on error.

When I try to add the SwitchBot integration, it results in a “failed to connect” error…is this happening for anyone else? I am able to add other integrations without issue. image

If you have existing Z-Wave devices capable of using S2 already paired with Home Assistant before this update, you will need to repair those to let them use the new S2 feature.

By repair, you mean I have to remove and re-pair them? There’s no magic repair button? I remember it was recommended to not use security features as it caused a lot of lag in the Z-Wave network, which I also noticed significantly myself with the old default integration which I still use.

1 Like

Yes, remove and add.

There’s no magic repair button?

No. If you are using zwavejs2mqtt there is a fairly involved workaround to upgrade nodes to S2 by replacing failed nodes. Better allow for node transition from S0 to S2 ¡ Issue #3227 ¡ zwave-js/node-zwave-js ¡ GitHub

I remember it was recommended to not use security features as it caused a lot of lag in the Z-Wave network, which I also noticed significantly myself with the old default integration which I still use.

S0 has much more overhead (3x times) than insecure communications. S2 has very little overhead compared to insecure, so it’s not even worth bothering to purposefully add a device insecurely. There are other benefits to S2 besides the encrypted communications (quoting AlCalzone, node-zwave-js developer):

1. You get feedback when the node couldn’t decode the command (unlike with S0)
  2. Some devices start using supervision when included with S2, so they can retry important commands like “my battery is empty”
  3. Garbled bits are impossible, so no more random sensors because of transmission errors

There is also a class of devices that won’t work at all without S2 inclusion, such as some alarm keypads (Ring).

3 Likes

Always nice to see HA improving. However, I am still hoping someone will improve the Siemens Home Connect integration. I was advised to report the error at Github but it’s not just one error. The integration is just not stable and needs some serious attention.

Second issue I have is that since the last update, so the one before this one, the zwave lightbulb icon is broken. Anyone else has this issue? You can switch a light on and off (so no impact) but the icon does not show the actual lightbulb anymore. It’s just empty.

After today’s update, the energy price sensor shows many places. Is it an update error, or can it be fixed to 2 decimal places as it was before the update?
cena

Trying to setup the new Tuya integration. Setting up an IoT account, but on creating a new project I get an error “会员过期” which translates to “Membership expired”.

Rolling back because Lovelace Dashboard refuses to load. Integrations settings page could also not be loaded to turn off some custom integrations in an attempt to determine which one is failing.

Update:
This was caused by the Trakt upcoming media card custom integration. After disabling I was able to succesfully update. Issue has been created.

Great job again! I love to see the new features. But I am curious a bit that the siren will be supported by the Tuya API?

I have a DSC Siren which a non ESP chip, so I cannot use it with Tasmota. Any chance that it will work at some point?

@fuzzymistborn, I am/was the last one who used the TrackR integration. I didn’t even know about that they stopped the Android and Apple apps, probably because I registered with an email address what I haven’t looked at for ages.
But actually it is better that they shut down the API. I’ve just came across this article searching for what has happened with TrackR at all.

https://infosecwriteups.com/trackr-users-private-information-exposed-vu-762643-876e67390554

Now I just need a new solution, probably ESPHome to refurbish the device and use it just as a presence sensor.

Does the new Tuya support colour override for bulbs, like the original Tuya? My colour bulbs just show as white bulbs in Tuya so it’s kind of important.