2021.10.0: Z-Wave S2 support, Tuya, secure ESPHome and 400 new icons

I know the new Tuya integration would require new setup steps. This doesnā€™t answer my question however.

Is the existing Tuya integration (with support for covers) still available if I upgrade to HA 2021.10?

I have no interest in using the new integration until it supports covers and my cover automations are essential to me. Will upgrading (HA not the integration) stop them working?

EDIT: because the replies have been in the form of a YouTube video and less than clear release notes the answer to above is this: YOU CANNOT RUN THE OLD TUYA INTEGRATION IN HA 2021.10.

2 Likes

This new release in docker eat my ram completely. In docker I see HA use about 30%cpu and 7.5gb ram??? Before not have this problemā€¦

This doesnā€™t work while the other platform worked until it was removed. This is a crappy move. Now my solar and battery integration donā€™t work.

Simple answer would be no

1 Like

And has less feature parity than the one it replaced, A lot of people have upgraded and now the v2 is the default are finding a lot of devices dont work

At least release an updated one that is the same or better

Local control - bah they have already said it not happening at the moment, so its defo not on the table which people were sucked into

2 Likes

In the end yes but for the moment things are a bit of a mess.

This could have used some more time in the oven as some common things arenā€™t yet covered by the new app and things are no working smoothly with home assistant.
Unsure as of yet if this is a tuya bug or a home assistant one.

Upside is being so popular fixes are likely to come fast and furious.

2 Likes

Either way, it was cloud or nothing. For folks wanting local control, there are options other than this native integration.

Why release it then?

4 Likes

I agree, they couldā€™ve waited another month and released a proper replacement. I guess they wanted to get it out since the current integration will be discontinued in two months.

1 Like

well they have burned a few people on here by the looks of it and they maybe reluctant to what tuya does again, once bitten and all that

1 Like

ā€œAt least half a yearā€ according to the live stream, not 2 months, so they had plenty of time to continue working on and improving it.

If it has a 6 months shelf life still remaining, it seems odd to have pushed it out while not fully supporting the same devices the current (old) integration does.

1 Like

And where are the Tuya devs, nowhere to be seen in here. They are the ones that should be explaining this mess

5 Likes

Crazy that they did this hard cutover without even feature parity.

This differs from many other integration changes like Z-wave where you could migrate when you were ready. If you upgrade to 2021.10 you WILL lose support for Tuya covers as well as other Tuya devices people have posted about.

Iā€™m really disappointed in this decision to push an ā€œupgradeā€ with reduced functionality and no transition period.

Also the release notes do a poor job of highlighting this limitation. It says Tuya is now V2 with the need to setup again but doesnā€™t mention the removal of the Tuya V1 integration explicitly.

5 Likes

Completely agree.

Iā€™ve been testing the v2 trough HACS since the beginning and itā€™s been much better (than v1) and easier to setup (than Local Tuya) and Iā€™ll keep using the HACS version while the native integration gets up to speed.

So it was weird to see this released and the fact that itā€™s quite different from what is available through HACS, but I believe itā€™ll be just some bumps on the road as the tuya devs learn how to work with HA (Some PRs had over a hundred comments and dozen of changes before getting merged). Now, if people will ā€œforgiveā€ that or not, hard to say.

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch the live stream yet, was basing myself by the info on the initial GitHub PR so this information makes it even weirder to launch without complete feature parity.

1 Like

Paulus says in the live stream @25:22 that, ā€œLocal is not planned right nowā€¦no schedule for when a local API will come availableā€. Disappointing.

4 Likes

For those that are having issues with the new Tuya integration in 2021.10 I found a reddit post where someone has created a HACS custom component from the 2021.9.7 Tuya integration to allow it to work in 2021.10. I will be testing later this evening but hereā€™s the link: https://github.com/andrey-yantsen/home-assistant-tuya-old

EDIT: Have now tested this and it seems to work fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So now we have Tuya - old edition, Tuya v2 - new and improved edition but less device support, Tuya V2 HACS edition, (different to core but presumed by everyone to be the same) and local tuya.

sigh, i pity those with tuya devices to control

10 Likes