2021.11: Icon picker, device links and entity categories

Thanks to all of you and especially thanks frenck for all that passion you put into this!! :heart:

3 Likes

@frenck didnā€™t look like a warning, should have been yellow like the pip one:

@petro thanks!

You can test it the week before, joining the beta :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If that bothers you, please file a bug report with pip, we donā€™t maintain that software.
Please, if it actually does cause issues, then please raise a bug report. There are quite a few maintainers active on that integration; if it breaks, Iā€™m sure itā€™s being looked at.

3 Likes

its about clarity to the end user. thanks for the responses

@petro today_at() is brilliant! I guess Iā€™ll be busy today simplifying dozens of templates so thanks eh? :crazy_face:

(Seriously, thank you!)

I couldnā€™t get this trigger to fire with now() without the replace(microsecond=0). Is this expected?

trigger:
    - platform: template
      value_template: >
        {{ now().replace(microsecond=0)
            == today_at(states('input_datetime.alarm_clock_manual_time')[0:5]) }}
1 Like

That should work

Edit: you need to replace seconds too if your alarm is HHMM

This template is checking for exact equality. I would expect it to be extremely flaky because now() only ā€œupdatesā€ once per minute. For time comparisons you want to either use > or < or round it to whole minutes/hours.

Not true, I tested this against all of these checks. His issue is that heā€™s not replacing the seconds.

2 Likes

wow over 50! !
so more than 3.0414093201713378043612608166065e+64
nice, i didnā€™t know we add so much integrations
XD

okay I will se myself out :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Itā€™s been reliably triggering with just microseconds! Iā€™ve been using it for a week or so, I had the beta installed just to try this dandy function out. Maybe Iā€™ve just gotten lucky so far?

the template engine attempts to throttle now to fall on the minute, that doesnā€™t mean it will always land on the minute exactly. I think youā€™re getting lucky

but back to your original question, yes youā€™ll need to replace the microseconds because today_at never returns a microsecond.

2 Likes

Point taken, advice will be heeded. Thanks again!

As someone who is new-ish to HA (aka, be kind ;p), is there any way to force a check for updates?
I tried restarting it, but there doesnā€™t seem to be an update available (running 2021.10.7 currently).

Hats off to all. Another great release!

Special mention for @frenck for all his hard work and progress in fixing the Tuya messā€¦weā€™ll get there :). New Environment Canada integration is a huge improvement in performance and reliability.

I put the Icon Picker to use within minutes. What a terrific addition.

2 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ve misunderstood what you said but I recall bdraco nailed now() down to cause renderings exactly on the minute. Youā€™re saying thatā€™s not a certainty and might happen after the ā€˜top of the minuteā€™?

If you do not see that notification you can navigate to the System tab. and click the ā€œReload Supervisorā€ button.

https://www.home-assistant.io/common-tasks/os/#update

3 Likes

Just output now() to a template sensor and youā€™ll see a small amount of error, usually microseconds. The slower your system, the further away from the minute youā€™ll be.

Cheers, thanks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Iā€™ll try to remember that for the next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was really hoping that a built in UI for adding external storage would be out soon. Thatā€™s the one feature that kills HA for me. Maybe next time :frowning:

Thanks for all your hard work.