2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards!

Thank you! That was very well written and respectful. I think I understand the GUI changes better now.

Maybe some advance discussion here on the forums would have avoided some negative posts. As a dumb ol’ user, I admit I felt a bit blindsided by a change I didn’t really see the point of. I think we’ve all been through “change for changes’ sake” updates, as well as designers trying to make a name for themselves by shaking things up in new and shocking (but pointless) ways.

Knowing there’s some real thought going into the change should give people the confidence to give it a try and respond more constructively.

1 Like

Yeah, but I think people want it to flash and return to the previous state. Also, maybe they want it to flash a different color.

That’s all up to Hue. It wasn’t removed by HA, it was removed by Hue. If they don’t make it possible, then you won’t get the previous skills.

I had no idea this functionality existed! Thanks :+1:

Very nice update! Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this happen. Have a great holiday. You deserve it! See you on the other side! :wink:

1 Like

Xiaomi gateway alarm not available but the sensors work (integration xiaomi miio with cloud)

logs, or maybe read this: How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question

1 Like

Getting all kinds of errors after update.
I can’t even restart HA because of those errors, and I can’t restore due to the system is “freezed”.

The error messages don’t tell my anything, but maybe some experts can?

This is one error that prevents me from restarting HA:

Loggdetaljer (FEIL)
Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/hassio/__init__.py:599
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 06:11:36 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 07:37:36

[548287249568] The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Platform error sensor.weather_data - cannot import name 'HTTP_BAD_REQUEST' from 'homeassistant.const' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/const.py)
[547899333312] The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Platform error sensor.weather_data - cannot import name 'HTTP_BAD_REQUEST' from 'homeassistant.const' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/const.py)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 185, in handle_call_service
    await hass.services.async_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1495, in async_call
    task.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1530, in _execute_service
    await handler.job.target(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/__init__.py", line 599, in async_handle_core_service
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Platform error sensor.weather_data - cannot import name 'HTTP_BAD_REQUEST' from 'homeassistant.const' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/const.py)

What integration creates sensor.weather_data ?

Removal of HTTP constants was listed as a breaking change for custom integrations Remove const.HTTP_* status constants by scop · Pull Request #58380 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

1 Like

But where can i do the customizing now ? Need it to change the measurement unit…

Read the release notes. In yaml

2 Likes

Yeah, but I think people want it to flash and return to the previous state. Also, maybe they want it to flash a different color.

Using light.toggle twice (or an even amount of times with a delay in between) would flash it and return it to it’s previous state. If you’re changing colours, you would have needed to snapshot a scene before the change anyway.

I was just throwing out things. I don’t have hue devices, so I don’t know the effects and what they do. I just know the names people throw around for the effects.

I enjoyed the new hue integration (eg. much faster interaction using hue buttons, lights reflecting status in HA quicker when changed through the hue app) but after a few minutes some light or light-group start to get out of sync (eg. HA showing the light on while the light is actually off).

When this happens, the only way to fix the light is to change its color in HA, using the turn on/off button nothing changes and the toggle action simply does nothing (hence many automations stop working properly).

I found nothing in the log.

Can I do anything to help? I am using HA 2021.12.2.

I have 22 hue lights, 5 hue sensors and 3 hue buttons, but I didn’t experience any serious issue before (both with HA < 2021.12 and with hue lights themselves).

Regarding the Environment Canada fix that was put into 2021.12.2, I still get the suggestion that I should add an Environment Canada integration, even though I already have one:

1 Like

Dude, you are my hero. Thanks for the laugh!

Same here. At first I thought the problem only occured with light groups, but experinmented and it also occurs with indiv. lights. Switching on seems OK, switching off gives troubles.

I’ve just updated to the latest version and i’m experience the same issue.

I’m not sure if this has already been reported or no, this month addon updates don’t complete, the spinner runs forever.
This is happening on multiple deployments.

It is worth noting that this is a UI issue on the update page, if I back out from that page, and refresh the page, it shows that the addon has been updated.

1 Like

I understand the need for cleaning up the UI but I agree that it seems more work to the user. A lot more clicks needed to get to the same targets.

Also, the new area card is much appreciated, but it needs to be far more customizable because right now, just being able to turn of ALL devices at once makes it pretty much useless (useless meaning not useable, not meaning some insult). Pretty, but no useful functionality.

I can confirm this same behaviour on add-on updates.