2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards!

Anyone else having trouble with http when the system reboots? Due to the bad weather lately, the electricity has been very unstable. Every time the power goes out, Home Assistant boots back up in Safe Mode. If I go to Settings, Server Controls, Server management, Restart everything comes back up and I’m good to go. Running HA core 2021.12.7

I see this at the beginning of my log

2022-01-03 13:46:07 WARNING (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration weatherbit which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component >
2022-01-03 13:46:07 WARNING (SyncWorker_2) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration average which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component mig>
2022-01-03 13:46:07 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration sonoff which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component migh>
2022-01-03 13:46:07 WARNING (SyncWorker_3) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might >
2022-01-03 13:46:08 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component http
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 229, in _async_setup_component
    result = await task
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant/components/http/__init__.py", line 192, in async_setup
    local_ip = await async_get_source_ip(hass)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant/components/network/__init__.py", line 35, in async_get_source_ip
    return source_ip if source_ip in all_ipv4s else all_ipv4s[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

Sounds like you need a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) on that server, Preferably one that can communicate and shut the server down cleanly before it runs out of battery power.

3 Likes

It looks like your system is starting up Home Assistant before any ipv4 addresses are assigned.

We can likely improve handling this specific case, but even then, it is unlikely that things will work very well since many integrations expect the network to be up and running at startup.

Thanks for your reply, I’m pretty sure that this started in 2021.12

A Linux based (or any UNIX like OS) may start up in safe mode if the OS was uncleanly shut down previously. It needs to repair its filesystem, if possible before booting up normally. If it cannot repair the filesystem, the OS image is corrupt.

A good uninterruptible power supply guards against this in two ways. UIt can keep power to the device during short outages. Better systems can also alert the device to perform a clean shutdown before the UPS battery depletes totally.

Yes, I was a certified UNIX system administrator.

1 Like

@bdraco you gave me just enough information to help me continue my searching.
I found this solution from @baz123 from 3 years ago and it works!

@Prodigyplace thanks for taking the time to reply & your thoughts.

2 Likes

You are welcome.
Setting a delay MIGHT handle the error messages in some cases but will not prevent eventual corruption due to unclean shutdowns.

absolutely, if only the electric company can get it’s act together

The electric company has no way of anticipating an outage, A UPS has a battery backup and a known runtime at a given load. That provides the needed time to shutdown cleanly.

1 Like

So now that there’s these new Area cards, it sure would be nice if an Area could be assigned to a generic rtsp camera entity that is configured through yaml.

Since this version it seems that either the property allow_unreachable: true has no longer an effect or at least does not what it should, therefor my OSRAM plugs are mostly unavailable within home assistant but can be controlled via hue app. Inside of hue app they are marked as unavailable.

@lweberru what makes you sure this is connected to the 2021.12 update? I have today still installed core-2021.11.1 and facing the same issue since a while. I checked, I’m running the latest Hue bridge software (see below), but I lost track of when I installed it. Might be connected to that as well.

Highly interested in tracking that down.

November 1, 2021
Software version 1948086000

• Improved performance and reliability of the system

Hue Bridge | Philips Hue (philips-hue.com)

It was related to this version, its fixed within dev version now. So for me its worming again.

Same here, just updated and lost all my 20+ Z-Wave devices. After a few minutes, the network was rebuilt and all device names are gone, I need to redo everything. This is insane…

I had to update ZWave JS server, I have a manual setup, I wonder if I dropped some cache in ZWaveJSm server while upgrading it to v1.14. It seems unlikely, seems like Home Assistant fckd up.

I’m stuck on this also no idea how to create a button entity when i look in helpers i do not see it do we have to make it manually in YAML?

That has not been released yet. It is likely to be in 2021.2.

I’m confused by what you mean by 2021.2 given that in this release post for 2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards! - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io) it clearly says that but button entity is part of it.

Sorry I meant 2022.2, i.e the next major release.

It should (barring unforeseen circumstances) have a a generic button helper you can configure, as of the current release the button is only available in certain integrations like MQTT, ESPHome, etc…

4 Likes

Anyone have any idea when enphase envoy integration will be fixed?

Keep an eye on the github issue.

2 Likes

Am I the only one having trouble with the HA webgui not updating sensors and switches after this release? :confused:

I have to refresh the web page every now and then because entities keep freezing