2021.2: Z-Wave... JS!

Nobody has this problem with inverted shutter with 2021.2.X ?

This. I have the same model. I will probably wait a while though. I have 50+ devices on my network so I want migration.

I did the jump, not thinking about the garage door opener. Only 25 z-wave devices (outlets, smoke detectors, locks, etc) and everything I could take care of, except the garage door opener. My wife’s a little pissed she has to press the button instead of asking google to open it. So, the wait is worth it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are four issues mentioning GD00Z on the zwave js github. If you subscribe to them you are likely to get notifications. https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/search?q=GD00Z&type=issues

Thanks, but they seemed to be closed. I couldn’t find any that are open, and I’m clueless as to how to submit one. I think those in charge are aware of this issue (barrier sensor issue I believe), I just don’t know how you know if and when it gets fixed. And then how to update to get the fix. Just a noob.

I’ve opened a PR to try to address the issue. I don’t have a Microsoft SQL database so I’m not able to validate the fix.

It looks like this has been addressed in:

1 Like

Yes so I see. Well at least you can see how NOT to submit them!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up; I was unaware that this was the reason for my troubles.

Thank you for the update and bug reporting!

Brilliant logic… anybody with too many badges on an autogenerated page should be the ones encouraged to take control of their dashboard… not newer users that are still trying to get up to speed / still afraid to commit too much time into a build only to have the Devs come through 2 months later to make a ‘small tweak’ that completely wrecks what the user worked for hours or days on…

…swear to god… almost like they’re trying to make the entry hurdles new-user-prohibitive.

This is what you want @labob246 https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/search?q=barrier&type=issues

1 Like

There’s an FCC issue standing in the way of operating the barrier currently. Just FYI. It will be fixed soon, but I’m still waiting for the migration tool

2 Likes

Surely creating your own dashboard is far easier than dealing with potentially hundreds of little badges that get auto-placed in a big mess…

1 Like

Sure. And until it gets to the point of ‘potentially hundreds’? Currently- I have 35, with room for 7 more at current screen before it rolls to a third line.

For a new user- a) testing packages or b) gradually adding devices and integrations… for a ‘default, out-of-the-box’ initial showing- wouldn’t you want it to show more of what it can do? Not less? …even being able to see a badge, even as a placeholder, can help imagine what a layout should /maybe/ look like.

In my particular instance- I’m still running on dev hardware (pi3, mSD, wifi) while I try to research previous pitfalls before commiting to my pi4/SSD build… trying to avoid hiccups involving things like setting the secure zwave key after initial setup… or if there’s a newer, more better way of installing various hardwares- my nortek zwave/zigbee, RMmini3, bluetooth plant monitors and zwave door lock all had particular setup steps…

But yeah… creating your own dashboard is a better solution… when somebody gets to that point… honestly- I’m more interested in integration automations than interface layout, as of recent… and truth be told, likely look towards something floorplan based more than strictly Lovelace… haven’t looked into it enough to know whats really possible… but now… guess I’ll just hang out back here with the 2020.12.1/5.10 that my last snapshot was at.

Old Way - default badges until user is ready for custom build
New Way - default badges for nobody

Badges on the default page aren’t the problem. Users with large enough installs that haven’t tended to their UI before blaming ‘too many default badges’ as the problem are the problem.

The entities are still added to the default view, just not as badges.

Still… the purpose of the sensor badge is to collate ‘quick glance’ type info at the top of the page where it makes sense, not buried down with all the other cards…

With badges I can view my google traffic time to work, temperature, bonsai soil moisture and checking account balance without scrolling. not to mention- at some point CUPS network printers started getting auto-detected… can’t say that it would have occurred to me to even /want/ a printer status badge… having placeholder badges reminds me that my 3d printer card can have badges for power stats… that I could make a card of battery sensors…

to make things ‘better’ for a situation that should already be remedied before its a hurdle.

I accept that badges can be useful, there should be an option to turn on the old functionality. Perhaps that will be done, but I won’t be (can’t) code it.

Have you seen the official demos? I found it useful originally.

I honestly think this discussion is highly subjective. I’ve been around here long enough to see drastically different needs and designs. To code a possibly comprehensive default dashboard given whatever each new user’s initial set of hardware, etc. could be and what you can do with it seems like a fairly tricky problem (to code) to me — and most users (if not all, eventually) will swiftly move on from the defaults. To use your examples: I have no need for bonsai moisture control or network printers.

There are also roughly two kinds of users starting with HA: Those new to home automation, and those migrating from another platform. They will have different initial needs.

What’s possible seems almost infinite and perhaps there’s enjoyment in the process of discovery but this is just my view.

But, back to your very first remark: I had a case of starting up a new HA and seeing like a 100 hundred badges. It overwhelmed me so much I just immediately removed it all. So, to me (just one of many users), I welcome the change.

So I was planning to link the feature request or with post that lead to this change but I can’t find one so I’m a bit confused where the feedback leading to this change was collected.

Regardless it sounds like there should be a setting either specifically for the default dashboard or for any dashboard to show all entities as badges at the top. Would suggest you open a feature request for that.

Personally I hate the badges. I think they look ugly, don’t show enough info to be a useful overview and just end up eating valuable real estate at the top of my dashboard. If I just want to look up an entity I go to developer tools by default since I want to see and search on the full state of things, attributes included, in addition to being able to interact with it. But I also am probably more picky then most as I won’t even use autogenerated layouts, I use the layout card in panel mode in basically every dashboard I make.

But truth be told it doesnt really matter what any of us think about your ui. You should be able to make the UI you find most useful for you, your opinion is really all that matters when it comes to your ui. I assume there is a good reason somewhere for why the default was changed but since it has degraded your experience you should request an enhancement for a setting that allows you to bring it back.

The release party livestream had the reason: https://youtu.be/RmLEQzYTpnI?t=3067

1 Like