2021.2: Z-Wave... JS!

Understood. I wasn’t referring to anyone else, just offering my reasoning behind not migrating myself yet. Trust me, your guides have been bookmarked and I’m patiently squirming in my chair here waiting for my chance to jump on the migration train! I’m just too way invested in the LED notifications now to go without them.

The procedure on their website required downloading and modifying XML files, and then I also learned if you mess up you have to manually hunt down the devices in your config to remove the “child” devices or it gets very confused.

Here’s the Inovelli document I had to follow to make mine work…and even then it was not easy and did not work the first time.

EDIT: Per the HomeAssistant documentation, it sounds like there is no migration path.

Source: Z-Wave - Home Assistant
Current Limitations heading, Bullet 5

Lovely…I also use the LEDs for some of my notifications (but not yet extensively).

I wonder also how good the door lock management is going to be, I recall hearing some things that OZW didn’t have any easy way to check which slots had what codes or reset them like the “legacy” Z-Wave integration (where its an easy drop-down). Since I rarely need to change them, its easy to just try until I find a empty slot (or the one they want to change) and I don’t need to track everyone’s PIN numbers on all the locks externally…the locks store them and I can just check them if I have to.

That was to set up for ZWave 1.4 because it was out of date… You shouldn’t have to go through ANY of that with the new ZWave integration (basically the whole point of an updated ZWave).

If you use LED’s just hang tight. It’s a pretty special use case, I’m sure they will get around to it eventually. They need to get the wrinkles ironed out for the masses right now. We can be patient and wait for that.

You shouldn’t have to do that for the next release of Zwave JS Addon or ZwaveJS2MQTT Addon

Hopefully. I see another user mentioned something about GE dimmers not updating status, I hope my GE non-dimmer switches are unaffected, I have several that I use only so I can determine the state of them and take action. For example, if someone turned on the bathroom fan and forgot for hours, turn it off (but they do so using the physical lightswitch not the app)…or if someone turned on the back floodlight, also turn on other outside lights for them and turn them all off when any one is turned off (like a software 3-way switch)

What’s the model number on them? I have them too

I don’t know the # (and don’t have a spare box) but it was this GE switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X6JW72G

I believe that would due to the current lack of a polling implementation. I’m sure that will be coming along eventually also.

1 Like

Well just so you understand why it’s important:

Older models of jasco switches and dimmers do not update (even in the old version, you have to poll them). Anything with a model number 12xxx. However the newer versions do update, they have a model number of 14xxx. The enbrighten stuff is all the newer models and they work fine.

1 Like

Ah maybe I got lucky then. I was looking at some of the older ones (cheaper) but got lazy and worried with the size and this house has many 3-4 gang boxes full of switches so I opted for the “new v2” models that are physically smaller (but still BARELY fit). Yay.

Thank you for the suggestion! I installed the MariaDB addon, inserted the little snippet into the configuration file per the addon documentation and restarted HA. I’m getting logged events now. I appreciate the support! Now to take another snapshot. :slight_smile:

I didn’t mean to offend and my words weren’t well chosen, so for that I apologise.

What I meant was, the problem seems to be more bad luck on your part rather than a generic fault that affects everyone.

I see you are using MySQL, maybe the devs don’t have the resources to test all the database options. Especially so as I believe (from comments in the thread) that the database schema was updated with this version. I am only hypothesising but common problems in any software in a database schema upgrade are:

1. A frustrated user rebooting or restarting before the schema update finishes, thereby corrupting the database; or

2. Not being able to test the schema update on every possible platform.

I suggested that your logging may be able to get to the bottom of the problem, by which I was suggesting the same as you:

I am not a developer, I just do what I can to support people.

How do I know when Z-Wave JS starts to support garage doors (specifically GD00Z). Is there a thread or document that states when this support is there? I get entities, but not one to actually open or close the garage door. I am using Z-Wave JS and the Z-Wave JS to MQTT addon as a control panel. Is this a configuration that will get this update?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Nobody has this problem with inverted shutter with 2021.2.X ?

This. I have the same model. I will probably wait a while though. I have 50+ devices on my network so I want migration.

I did the jump, not thinking about the garage door opener. Only 25 z-wave devices (outlets, smoke detectors, locks, etc) and everything I could take care of, except the garage door opener. My wife’s a little pissed she has to press the button instead of asking google to open it. So, the wait is worth it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are four issues mentioning GD00Z on the zwave js github. If you subscribe to them you are likely to get notifications. https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/search?q=GD00Z&type=issues

Thanks, but they seemed to be closed. I couldn’t find any that are open, and I’m clueless as to how to submit one. I think those in charge are aware of this issue (barrier sensor issue I believe), I just don’t know how you know if and when it gets fixed. And then how to update to get the fix. Just a noob.

I’ve opened a PR to try to address the issue. I don’t have a Microsoft SQL database so I’m not able to validate the fix.