2021.2: Z-Wave... JS!

Ok, when using a second phonebook like google phonebook, name lookup also works for me again.

With the built-in phonebook of the fritzbox it’s not working anymore.

Is there anything in the home-assistant.log file indicating what it waits for?

Yes!!! It would be very appreciated that there will be an migration from Zwave to the new Zwave-JS.
I really hope I do not need to re-pair all my devices!

Will there be a migration possible without repairing?

Mine is fixed now. I opened portainer so I could peek inside the homeassistant container. But I saw that the bitwarden container wasn’t running. I deleted that addon, rebooted and things are back to normal.

The google TTS service name has changed to tts.google_say (instead of google_translate_say, or something like that), can you mention this in release notes? @frenck
(i’m sorry cannot retrieve old service name, these are already updated to new service)

1 Like

Migration without re-pairing is possible, but I understood from the release cast yesterday devices/entities will get new names. So this does affect automations, dashboards etc. so repairing (without dash) is required when moving over today. A migration tool is also mentioned, but not available yet.

The pairing is on your device (in my case an HUSBZB-1), not in HA.
HOWEVER, you do need to retrieve two key pieces of information first. You need the device location, preferably by ID, and the zwave key. In my case, I had that stored elsewhere, but it was also in the OZW configuration file. The former can be retrieved at any time from Supervisor->System->OS, and the three dots at the bottom to show hardware. The first is really necessary to avoid repairing.

After moving to ZwaveJS, however, the names of devices changed. I don’t know if there is a way to automate that part of the migration.

I am also experiencing failed system following update on RP4 version. Initially boots OK, but after about 2-3 minutes, cannot access the web interface or even ping the device.

2 Likes

Thanks. I figured it out yesterday. The picos were added as devices (not entities like in the upsert custom). I really like this implementation since we can now easily configure the picos in automations. We don’t need to listen for events and map actions to numerical values for each button. I’ll eventually move over on my production HA instance when I have the time. Great job guys!

Fixed!

I deleted the zwave entry in my core.config_entries file and everything then was able to start. I’m not sure why it was still there as I’d removed the notation in my configuration.yaml months ago when I migrated to ozw. The zwave service apparently was unable to complete startup in 2021.2.0, I guess. Maybe such languishing entries should be ignored?

1 Like

Thanks. This will not be easy, because I did rename a lot of my devices standard names.

Beside this I do use a Remotec ZRC-90 device. To use this I did need to change the zwcfg.xml file for this device in the standard zwave application. Will this zwcfg file still be used by the new zwave JS? Or how to change the settings for this remotec device to be able to use it in new environment?

Is there a way to ge an event when new device request an address using the DHCP integration?

There is work on that, too:

Maybe, I’m to dumb to understand, just want to make sure.

Do I need to have physical access to Zwave nodes in order to switch them to Zwave JS?

That would a real pain in the …!

Thanks for clarification.

No, everything should be in your Z-Wave stick already, but you will have to rename everything once you switch over.

It seems you have fixed it after reboot. If it happens again, I have a similar issue (mine is not fixed with a reboot) and I’ve opened an issue: Memory leak in new version 2021.2.0 · Issue #45959 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

If some more is affected by a memory leak with this version maybe we can compare our integrations to see what they have in common.

Well that sad to hear since I’m only storing contacts in the Fritzbox.
Seems that I need to remember more numbers in the future :smiley:

Perhaps I am missing something but what is the way to move to the new Z-wave JS? Can I just install it and usb the same USB deviceI use for the old integration ? How do I move from the old to the new version? What about my automations? And should I use Z-wave JS superviso add-on? Any help will be appreciated.

Just a fair question. Why encourage people to move from zwave which works perfectly right now to something that has been worked on for a month? Yes, its probably faster, but why not wait until it supports all the basic functions (Pretty much everything listed on the Integration Roadmap).
I really appreciate all the work that is being put into this, but I believe you are creating a lot of unnecessary issues. I realize the old integration is still available, but by deprecating it, you are sending some strong signals to move to an integration that is far from complete.

2 Likes

And anyone else with a Honeywell Lyric T6 that stopped working?