2021.2: Z-Wave... JS!

This bricked my entire installation on my Raspberry Pi 4. I clicked update last night, and the system never came back online.

How do I revert to the old version?

Restore the backup you made before updating.

2 Likes

I’ve got a backup, of course. But I can’t even get the device to start so that I can access it. It just keeps telling me the connection is refused.

Can you connect via SSH?

If you can get via SSH, check the logs before restoring backup. There were a number of breaking changes, might be just a small config change is required to be compatible with the latest version.

This was mine

And after reboot back to under 30 %

OK, we’ll see. I had a really well functioning Z-Wave system and I’m worried that this just wiped out everything.

tts not working here (ha supervised). Only works on the google media card filling the text manually (i dont use Nabu Casa).

What xiaomi devices are you thinking of? Most of them are zigbee devices that work very well in HA. At least with deConz and a Conbee stick.
There are, however some BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) ones that need to be quite close to a RPi or an esphome device collecting and forwarding them. Some of those can be quite tricky to talk to,

If you just updated, nothing with your zwave changed. It’s best to create a separate post with the errors from you logs. I noticed that tensorflow caused my system to hang just the other day. I’ve since removed it. Your best option is to go through the list of breaking changes, Look at your logs and verify that they didn’t impact you. And I’d like to be clear: There are no breaking zwave changes, this update simply contains another path for zwave that is 100% separate from the current zwave integration

Oh wow, I totally overlooked this in the release notes. Glad I read this thread!

So has anyone made a transition from @upsert’s Lutron Caseta Pro custom component to the new Pico support via the built-in integration? If so, how well is it working?

The custom component has been so reliable that I’m reluctant to switch prematurely.

I think there are a few things that people are not understanding about the new Z-Wave JS implementation. How I summarize it, and others may have different input, is:

• All of your Z-Wave devices are stored on your Z-Wave controller, not in HA. HA simply stores the options discovered by Z-Wave start-up and stores the entity name you gave each device. This means switching from one to the other only changes what HA manages: entity name and device settings discovered. The actual Z-Wave device are on the Z-Wave controller, including (but not limited to) the node ID, the basic capabilities and the neighbors.
  • Switching to Z-Wave JS doesn’t wipe your Z-Wave out in any way. The only caveat to this is if you completely delete the old Z-Wave integration you were using (rather than simply disabling it) and then you would lose whatever HA is storing only (entity name, etc). You can switch back and forth between the two systems so long as you disable one of them
  • While HA is announcing, perhaps even promoting, the Z-Wave JS you are not required to use it, you can continue using whatever you have been using. If you want to wait until it is more mature, then wait. If you want to be on the literal bleeding edge, upgrade it now, but know that bleeding edge means this has been one month of development time and is still a work in progress.
  • If you switch then you will have to rename all your Z-Wave devices, not go around and re-link them to your controller. Different implementation means a different way of storing the HA specifics about your Z-Wave network, but (again) the device data is still in your Z-Wave controller.
  • As a work in progress, some devices may not yet be supported or all the various capabilities of some of your devices may not be implemented as entities like they were in previous Z-Wave implementations.
  • Just because there are four different Z-Wave implementations doesn’t mean that HA is unsure, it is evolving to new and better ways. This is a better way (from all that I can see) but may need to mature a bit to be a full-blown replacement for what you have. The level of that maturity depends on your own needs from Z-Wave.
  • If you are switching just to switch because it’s new, maybe you should wait a bit first. The old Z-Wave implementations are not going away. For me, the speed is the main reason I want the new system, but am willing to stick with what I have until a possible migration wizard saves me time in renaming everything. I have no other reason to switch to a product that has not matured.
  • No matter what you do, be it an HA upgrade, changing your Z-Wave implementation or anything else, get a full backup so you can go back and always know that trying something new may break your system. Back things up and you can always go back to where you were.

My (way more than) $0.02 on the recurring questions that keep popping up.

15 Likes

i had trouble with the upgrade, in the night a made a clean “install” with raspberry pi 4 32bit image and recovered a backup. but in the morning i hat troubles again.

now i plugged in the network cable - now all works fine or ok.
something changed with the wifi…

1 Like

TADO - Hi guys.

The tado hot water power sensor used to be off and only on when the hot water was actually on heating up the boiler.

Since 2021.2 and the new binary sensors, the hot water power sensor is now saying its on all the time.

I thought the overlay may be the answer but its not.

What sensor can I use to tell when the actual hot water is heating the water ?

Thanks

Martyn

I think that they are being pretty clear here. The message I took away is that if you are starting out, it is better to start with ZWaveJS than the other two, because it is under very rapid development, whereas the other two are stalling out. That seems reasonable. They are also saying that they are working on a way to make the transition smoother, which tells me to wait a bit before transitioning over.

Funny enough, I just started using zwave a couple of weeks ago and had to decide which path to take from the options. I wish I had waited until now, but, since I have only a few devices the transition is pretty painless to ZwaveJS. If someone has a bunch of devices, you are right: it is better to wait, and there is no hurry.

Good work guys.
But, this version doesn’t work within my environment, although I’m not using special stuff, only deconz and some other core addons.
Reverting back to 2021.01.5 !

Besides having to rename 60+ instances, the migration is not what’s concerning. An added bonus is that half my stuff is no longer showing, so that gives me less to rename :joy:

Just updated ands moved from openzwave beta to Zwave-JS and, after struggling with a not-recognized device.
It was queried, updated and configured in no time.

And it is overall blazingly fast, too.

Keep going people!

Still wondering why it isn’t called Z-Wave WS … isn’t the main difference it now communicates over websocket.

1 Like

TADO - hey guys, anybody else having problems with Tado not taking the climate.set_temperature commands? I already deleted and added the integration but it’s still not working. Sensors are working fine