2021.3: My Oh My

I asked a similar question above and got no response.

I’m not really sure who thought that it was easier to remember which fan speeds now correlate to which percentages (use “set fan to 20%” instead of “set fan to low”) but I think I know what my fans speeds are.

Now I have to figure out which percentages correlate to which speeds and then set up my fan templates to use those percentages instead. Or even worse I need to figure out what the correct percentages are for fan integrations I don’t set up (like my ZHA fan) to get it to work.

For example the mqtt fan still has a “speeds:” list. What happens if I now use the new “fan.set_percentage” service and set the fan to 50%? What speed will my fan be set to? low or medium? Or if I use 75%? Medium or high? At what percent is “off”? if I set the fan to 10% will the fan be off or low.

What constrains me (or anyone else who didn’t actually program anything - wife, kids, guests) from giving a fan a percentage that it doesn’t “know”? or knowing what percentages equal which speeds?

I don’t get the new “all or nothing” mentality that seems to be setting in.

Why can’t there be both - speeds and percentages - to maintain backwards compatibility between the existing integrations and those who want or need the percentages? We already have similar functionality with lights (set “brightness” or “brightness_pct”) and covers (value_template or position_template). There should be some way to keep speeds if you want or use the percentages if you want.

5 Likes

I am also having the same issue. Cleared my browser cache to logging out but no dice.

Is there an issue raised on this?

After installing the latest HA version, i am getting a strange behaviour with one of my lovelace views as it is not anymore showing in the frontend

The view is this: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/KWx5F4Yrd6/

I use to paste as it is very long.
Before the update there was no problem showing it, but i am having a big headache trying to understand why it is not shown in the frontend. I doubled checked all the entries, all the entities, all the cards and all the sensors, but nothing to do, i also cleared cache too many times…

Please can somebody help me?

Try to revert auto-entities to 1.8.0
That was the issue in one of my views.

1 Like

Posting 101: paste logs.

Can the forum be reconfigured to make sure that the first thing people read is this post? How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question

Users should have to click that they have read and understood it. It is basic tech forum know-how, but this often seems to be the first tech forum for many users.

3 Likes

In fairness a lot of the new ‘target audience’ aren’t even capable of copying and pasting, so the idea of them complying with most of the suggestions to ‘ask a good question’ is a stretch :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry, but there is no entry in the log about it…

Yes, that was the cause… upgrading to the latest auto-entities the view is there again… :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Thanks a lot… i was getting crazy… all the afternoon to try to fix it!

Well they have sweet FA chance of getting help then.

4 Likes

So I don’t think you have to worry about this but I’m not familiar with mqtt fan so it may be different. I had a few template fans in my setup and all I did was this:

1. Replace any reference to speed with preset_mode (literally just find and replace, clean switch)
  2. Remove off from the list of preset_modes. You turn the fan off using turn_off, any preset mode is condiered on
  3. Adjust my preset_mode_template to ignore the removed off option (just return '' when that is what is selected)

I didn’t add a percentage_template or acknowledge it in anyway and my fans now work fine. I just use preset_mode like I used to use speed.

It was nicer to have a dropdown of all the options instead of having a dropdown of all the on options and a nameless turn_off option. But its not much different in the end.

Although one thing I’m not doing currently is exposing any of the fans I have to google assistant. I would hope you would still be able to address the preset modes in a voice assistant and not have to know the percentages otherwise that would not be a good experience for the reasons you outlined.

1 Like

Thanks for that info.

It was way more information than is in the docs.

The concern about the voice control was caused by this from the breaking changes:

Additionally, it’s a lot easier to ask your voice assistant to set the fan to 20% then remember that medium-low is actually low-medium or have to learn and remember how to say the speeds for every fan model you want to control.

Hopefully it won’t be a concern.

1 Like

Yep, good point, forgot it said that. So I decided to test it and exposed one of my fans to google assistant just now to see what happened. Looks like I’m only able to turn it on and off, can’t figure out any way to change to a preset mode (even manually typing in commands). I also couldn’t change the percentage, maybe if you don’t provide a percentage_template it tells google its an on/off only fan?

I can’t make a before and after comparison here since I didn’t have a fan exposed to google assistant prior to this. Also behavior could be different on other voice assistants, not sure which you use.

That does seem like a potential pain point though. Definitely much easier to use names if your fan doesn’t actually support setting to a specific percent speed.

1 Like

me too, please help as i have many devices use this feature to send V_TEXT message.
i use Node-red to send notify.mysensors but now i get “Call-service API error. Error Message: Service not found.”

i logged an issue https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/47647

And unfortunately from the lack of “official” responses here after asking a few times it looks like we’re on our own. :disappointed:

And again, why would the speed controls be deprecated? They seem to be working fine together right now. Why the need to remove that functionality?

Let the people who want to use the percentages or presets use those and let the people who want to use speeds use those. I haven’t tested the new version with my Echo’s yet (not home) so I don’t know if there will be an issue there with the current functionality.

3 Likes

Someone got a working fan template for those of us that are based on the brightness attribute of a light entity in another thread. It works but it complains about the off position (because no brightness data when light is off). I was told to add a default to the operation but it still complains in the log. It would be nice to just have the regular speed list back (in addition to the new percentage slider too of course)

If there’s a way to still have drop down in our case… examples would be very appreciated :frowning:

1 Like

This update broke controlling my zwave fans with Alexa. Saying “set office fan to low” sets the my GE fan control switch to 33%, but to it, that is medium, not low. Why was the fan presets removed and the percentages added? Percentages should have been added and the presents left intact.

Can we get a fix please?

2 Likes

Yes, I have opened the one, but with new update the problem still there… Without proper editor I cannot use new version.

@mirekmal - did you resolve your issue with ConditionErrorMessage(“zone”, “no zone specified”) ?

I’m getting a similar error, but for a different geo system:

2021-03-09 10:09:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.event] Error while processing event <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=geo_location.rfs_wallgrove_rd_eastern_creek, old_state=None, new_state=<state geo_location.rfs_wallgrove_rd_eastern_creek=26.7; latitude=-33.81448, longitude=150.85146, source=nsw_rural_fire_service_feed, external_id=https://incidents.rfs.nsw.gov.au/api/v1/incidents/409965, category=Not Applicable, location=Wallgrove Rd, Eastern Creek, NSW 2766, attribution=State of New South Wales (NSW Rural Fire Service), publication_date=2021-03-09T09:58:00+11:00, council_area=Blacktown, status=Out of control, type=MVA/Transport, fire=False, size=0 ha, responsible_agency=Fire and Rescue NSW, unit_of_measurement=km, friendly_name=Wallgrove Rd, Eastern Creek, icon=mdi:alarm-light, hide_attributes=['templates'] @ 2021-03-09T10:09:50.263905+11:00>> for domain geo_location
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/event.py", line 416, in _async_dispatch_domain_event
    hass.async_run_hass_job(job, event)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 435, in async_run_hass_job
    hassjob.target(*args)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/components/geo_location/trigger.py", line 55, in state_change_listener
    to_match = condition.zone(hass, zone_state, to_state) if to_state else False
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/condition.py", line 668, in zone
    raise ConditionErrorMessage("zone", "no zone specified")
homeassistant.exceptions.ConditionErrorMessage: In 'zone' condition: no zone specified
2021-03-09 10:09:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.event] Error while processing event <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=geo_location.rfs_wallgrove_rd_eastern_creek, old_state=None, new_state=<state geo_location.rfs_wallgrove_rd_eastern_creek=26.7; latitude=-33.81448, longitude=150.85146, source=nsw_rural_fire_service_feed, external_id=https://incidents.rfs.nsw.gov.au/api/v1/incidents/409965, category=Not Applicable, location=Wallgrove Rd, Eastern Creek, NSW 2766, attribution=State of New South Wales (NSW Rural Fire Service), publication_date=2021-03-09T09:58:00+11:00, council_area=Blacktown, status=Out of control, type=MVA/Transport, fire=False, size=0 ha, responsible_agency=Fire and Rescue NSW, unit_of_measurement=km, friendly_name=Wallgrove Rd, Eastern Creek, icon=mdi:alarm-light, hide_attributes=['templates'] @ 2021-03-09T10:09:50.263905+11:00>> for domain geo_location
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/event.py", line 416, in _async_dispatch_domain_event
    hass.async_run_hass_job(job, event)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 435, in async_run_hass_job
    hassjob.target(*args)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/components/geo_location/trigger.py", line 55, in state_change_listener
    to_match = condition.zone(hass, zone_state, to_state) if to_state else False
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/condition.py", line 668, in zone
    raise ConditionErrorMessage("zone", "no zone specified")
homeassistant.exceptions.ConditionErrorMessage: In 'zone' condition: no zone specified

Thanks again for the help in the other thread.
Here’s what my fan looks like in Alexa now

I don’t recall the interface in the app before so don’t know if these sliders were always here before but using voice commands it’s only responding to “set fan to number” with number being the percent. There’s a slider on the bottom for fan speed 0 - 3 but it’s not controlling anything, just updating after the fact…