2021.5: Stability, performance, triggers, color modes!

No, deprecated means “still supported for the moment, but will be removed in future”.

2 Likes

@DavidFW1960 exactly. And even though I learned Petro’s thesaurus explanation in school, (some moons ago…), I also learned computer programmers can be thinking more from a digital perspective than their end-users who tend to use a more humane perspective :wink:

Now who needs to adapt here :wink:

btw, what’s the incorrect depreciate doing there, that’s a mistake being made here too, quite often to be honest. I am somewhat amazed it’s listed in the thesaurus?

this is a bit odd don’t you think? Who would be editing a known_devices.yaml, if it would be no longer used by the system. That would be pointless, and have no effect in the system at all.

Until then, it is created by the system, and we need to maintain it, because it is used. In my config by 129 devices…hardly semantics.

It’s not odd, that’s literally what the announcement was back in (apparently) 0.94… don’t shoot the messenger. Long term, that file will be no longer in use.

I noticed the same with my TP-Link plugs. Error appears only once during HA start and the entities seem to work just fine.

The error is quite odd, since the template itself is correct, but apparently not during startup, so something might not be loaded / available yet.

I like the mutesync integration, sounds better than my current scripting work-arounds. When I want to Download and execute this it reported by windows defender as “blocked because it could harm your device”, is it actually safe to download this?
(i cannot find any info on the HA forum or google on this)

Obviously it WILL BE removed it just hasn’t yet.

yep, at some time, when not a single integration in Ha uses it anymore.

I’ll be happy to delete the file then and there.

1 Like

Or when the devs say “2 more months only, then its right out the door”.

Then maintainers who aren’t paying attention or no longer care will miss the deadline. Users will rant and moan that the devs broke their system and that “this is the worst release ever”, “you stopped caring about users” and “I’m gonna move to smartthings” or “time for a fork”.

not that it will prevent the error you see, but you might safer write those template like:

friendly_name_template: "{{ state_attr('switch.driveway_light','friendly_name'))} Current"
value_template: '{{ state_attr('switch.driveway_light','current_a') | float }}

consider the startup considerations

since the update the boolean sensors provided by the sure petcare integration to indicate when my cats arrive/leave via the catflap have stopped working… they appear ok but there are no updates

I think it fails on the SSL-sertificate.
To make it work you have to have ssl: false in your motionEye addon config.
You also have to set a port to your web-interface in the same place.
Then use http://ip:port in the integration configuration. You can also use the hostname (a0d7b954-motioneye) here.
I found that it gives an error if you have blank passwords, so you should probably make them.

1 Like

I never told you to remove it. I wasn’t even talking to you. I was talking to the people who use Fritz box. You you and Others decided to bring me into a deprecation argument. Do whatever you wanna do, I don’t care.

3 Likes

@ben1410 Switching to the template function approach does indeed “resolve” the issue and is the preferred syntax anyway, see warning here: Templating - Home Assistant

Since I’m looking to do something similar, can I ask what may be a dumb question?

Can I translate a legacy template:

wan:
   friendly_name: "Internet Connection"
   value_template: "{% if is_state('binary_sensor.WAN_Check_BBC', 'off') and is_state('binary_sensor.WAN_Check_OpenDNS', 'off') %}Offline{% else %}Online{% endif %}"

to modern:

- name: wan 
  friendly_name: "Internet Connection"
  state: "{% if is_state('binary_sensor.WAN_Check_BBC', 'off') and is_state('binary_sensor.WAN_Check_OpenDNS', 'off') %}Offline{% else %}Online{% endif %}"

retaining the friendly name for display use? or do I need to factor display name choices into migrating?

Is this needed, legacy not supported anymore?

No I believe it’s still supported - I just like the idea of centralising my template sensors as I have a lot of them.
However I cannot see friendly_name detailed under the ‘modern configuration’ section of the integration documents - which will add a multiplier to the time required to shift my configuration around.

To have it decoupled from HA. Like a ZHA docker container instead.

You mean like using zigbee2mqtt?

1 Like

Exactly. Not sure why anybody is confused. I think some are confusing deprecating something with decommissioning something.