2021.7 History graph color changes

tbh this history page doesn’t meet todays standards user experience wise. It’s ugly and functionally limited. It stands out comparing to other parts of HA.
Maybe it’s time to consider replacing the library. Or write own. Instead of investing time to something which seems to be obsolete. From this point of view I understand why devs are not prone to work on this.

I’d love to hear what other home automation packages offer for graphing, seeing that home assistant isn’t up to today’s standards.

2 Likes

SmartThings → None…

You get graphs for Temperature, Humidity, Power usage, all the built in ones. No option to change anything, 3 views each, Minutes, Hours, Days. No customisation option at all.

But you can push your data with custom SmartApps to your own Influx DB and then plot for yourself outside the app in Grafana.

1 Like

I believe many openHAB people use Grafana although there is some graphing capability in the latest versions.

I’m not saying HA is not up to date, but this particular page, the way how it’s organized and what features provides renders it almost useless for most needs which would require looking at such a page.

replacing it with grafana components seems to be great idea. However I don’t know is possible/feasible.

I’m using Home Assistant → TimescaleDB (via the LTSS component) → Grafana.
TimescaleDB + Grafana is absolutely the way to go, one hundred percent. The reason for this is two-fold:

• TimeScaleDB has native support for time dimensional slicing (per day, per week, per month, per year, per hour, etc) and Grafana can utilize this natively. It enables you to create useful insights with relative ease.

• TimeScaleDB has a very good implementation of materialized views. It enables light-weight dashboarding, while at the same time the data is always accurate up to the very last second. Incredible.

My vote would go to a supervisor addon that incorporates LTSS, TimescaleDB and Grafana in one package. Plus a GUI configuration to setup the materialized views. Setting this up by hand was not so easy.

The History page has all the non graphable elements at the top. Those lines of colour telling me that all my automations have been on for the entire time the graph is showing are, frankly, bordering on pointless.

I’d rather see interesting stuff like temperatures and humidity near the top.

The point I was trying to make is that this quote

is a baseless claim because no other home automation package provides a solution that does what this phrase eludes to. All other home automation packages require the user to write there own plugin or use graphana.

TBH, it’s nice that home assistant has a history out of the box without any extra configuration. But if you want to go the extra mile, then you should use the community graphana addon.

1 Like

Yep, no contest there!!

OpenHAB includes javascript based Apache echarts for their frontend.

1 Like

Looks like that has the same functionality as ChartJS which is what HA uses.

Last I checked (Probably 2 years ago) OpenHAB didn’t have anything built in.

LOL You left OH the same time I left HA for OH. They have changed a LOT since then and not necessarily for the benefit of the users…

It was likely new for 3.0 or 3.1 which was released recently. They have a completely different front end based on Framework 7.

1 Like

look through the window. software world doesn’t end on HA, OH and Demoticz. I’m not comparing to those ones. There are thousands of areas which incorporate requirement of analyzying value changes in the function of time. And HA simply doesn’t provide satisfying built-in solution for that.

Indeed, everyone can install Grafana. But do you still remember? Obviously users would like to see more satisfying built-in solution. Claiming “other home automation systems are not any better” is far from progressive thinking.

3 Likes

I understand it doesn’t. But comparing home assistant to packages dedicated to graphing is unrealistic and unfair. You’ve been nothing but hyper critical about this software while not even lifting a single finger for a single development contribution. You continuously think that it can be done better, claim you are a developer, and trash the software left and right. I’m just fed up with your attitude to be honest. How about you contribute with your development skills to help instead of being an armchair developer?

3 Likes

How about to not attack everyone who says there is room for improvement?

Again you read something else than it’s written. I’m comparing to other software systems which provides built-in solution as tool for debugging. All what I suggest is to consider replacing current library being used for history with something more flexible.
Don’t get why it hurts you so much? Because it could work?

1 Like

I never said that it couldn’t be improved. In fact, I said that someone should write up a feature request. That wasn’t good enough for you, do you remember that? That conversation wasn’t too long ago.

I will continue to respond to your petty remarks because they are largely not true. You can try to take the highroad here but your post history (and admin history) shows that all you do is complain about HA, badger volunteer developers to make changes you want, and trash talk the main developers. So no, I’m not attacking everyone. I’m just responding to you.

Let me quote myself from above:

If you googling the package, you’d see that it has all sorts of functionality and could be updated to incorporate changes. There’s no reason to change the package because it can be done with ChartJS. So circling back to my original comment: Create a feature request, get the word out and get people to vote for it. If the feature request gets enough attention, changes will happen.

1 Like

I’d love to hear what other home automation packages offer for graphing, seeing that home assistant isn’t up to today’s standards.

I came from homeseer and the graphing was inferior to HA (IMHO). I ended up writing perl scripts to process data and gnuplot to create the image. The data was written to a .csv which the perl script processed and cleaned data (duration and remove duplicates). I controlled through cron to update the graphs for display.

1 Like

IMHO, focusing on graphing capabilities while the history management of the DB is rather inflexible, to say the least, is probably premature.

Go Vote! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d almost call it a bug at this point…while it was annoying before, there was usually good contrast. Now its pastel colors with low contrast at least in the app…the light-purple on light-teal it picked is AWFUL.

2 Likes

Then write up an issue to have it return to the original colors. I never said that wouldn’t get changed. It’s a feature request in regards to users configuring the colors to what they want. There’s a difference.

Secondly, my post was about how unreasonable people were acting over it ‘Not being in the change logs’ and 'why would they change this, no one wanted it" when they didn’t have the full story.

TLDR:
Write up an issue to have it go back to the original colors. Or wait for the feature request to be implemented to configure your own colors.