2021.8.0: Feel the energy ⚡️

Ah, that’s why it says, device_or_entity_id, nice!

Thanks a lot, I am really looking forward to the new database, not being able to practically log over time “natively” is one of the biggest “holes” in Home Assistant functionality until now, this is great news. Also going to test out the new energy functions, I don’t have any production, but i do measure the total electric use, and the use on my different heaters, looking forward to see if i can set up something exiting.

I am already looking at the shelly 3EM - but as I like to tinker i would prefer to bulid it on my own :smiley:
Will create a new topic.

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed Tradfri not working?

Gateway is up and devices. Admittedly I haven’t tried anything I just want to check if it’s related to the release or not, lights were working before the upgrade

add

energy:

to your configuration.yaml.

3 Likes

Awesome update, thanks for the great work!
I maintain the custom component for the HomeWizard wifi P1 meter, and i’ve just updated it so it can be used with long term statistics and the new energy dashboard. Please let me know what you think.

Looking forward to see how the Energy dashboard will grow over time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks to all for the hard work!!

I’m going to love playing with the energy monitoring stuff. To me, that’s the most valuable part of HA. Much of the rest is just fun and games, which I enjoy. But monitoring and controlling critical home systems like energy loads is how I justify the time and effort.

Long-term statistics sounds like a big step forward, but I hope there’s also some thought being given to how Recorder retention times are handled. These should really be set per entity or per state, not universally. That would solve a large number of beginner issues with bloated databases.

Finally, I must admit I cringe a bit when I see a “UX Expert” get involved. It’s a great idea, and I hope some good usability improvements come out of this. But too often we get change for change’s sake. Some designer wants to make a name for themselves by changing everything, making it shocking and newsworthy. Designers should be quietly unappreciated. If a UI just works, intuitively, as the users expect it should, there’s no glory in it. But that should be its own reward.

1 Like

What a release, so many cool new things to play with! Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

Hi - Unable to upgrade my Docker version (running in QNap Container Station 2.4.0.2316 - newly updated by QNap). The search only brings up the 0.xxx.xx named builds, not a single one of the 2021.x.y builds are shown. I’m currently on 2021.7.4 so it’s been working fine up until today!

Is it an issue at the HA/Docker side or have QNap released yet another untested app update?

Anybody able to confirm please ?

Cheers!
Ian

1 Like

Congratulations to the entire team for creating the forward-thinking energy-management integration. The many underlying changes/additions required to make it happen represent the kind of project where a team-effort is required and you met the challenge. :+1:

3 Likes

And I read in the docs “Siren entities are created automatically by integrations that support them.”

I’ve built and siren and flashing light with ESPHome, how can I make that being discovered as an siren in this new release?

Great stuff! Thx. :slight_smile: Are there plans to adjust the powerwall integration to conform to the new energy management?

Hi Skully,

Me and a group of people ( in another thred, don’t remember where ) found out that this is an issue that happen a lot, not related to HA version ( i’m speaking about all previous version, did not try this one yet).

In fact each time Tradfri HUb got an update, it deconnect with HA.
You can either to go in the integration page and select tradfri, and click on ‘refresh’ OR restart HA.

I works for me each time it happens, even if, it’s a real issue to manage with on daily basis.

1 Like

This release is an awesome step forward! Congratulations.

I’ve quite some experience in the field of business intelligence & analytics (job-related). For personal usage, i’ve build an energy dashboard with aggregates by using TimescaleDB + Grafana. Based on this, i’ve had my share of issues too :wink: I’d like to share/validate some of my learnings:

• handle non-numeric values: especially with MQTT (retain=false), it is common to get database polution: status = “unavailable”. Are the Long term statistics (mean, min, max, etc.) correctly handling non-numeric values? Or will they start throwing errors/igoring certain time windows it that happens?
  • how is the long-term statistics handling time windows that are not finished yet? For example, for the daily mean of sensor x, when observing the current day, will it: a) show the mean value so-far, b) only show the value at the end of the day, c) something else?
  • how it the long term statistics handling retro-active changes in the underlying data?
1 Like

I am using IoTaWatt very successfully. Its a bit pricey, but it allows to monitor up to 14 phases! It uses an AC/AC adapter to measure phase shift, which makes it super accurate. My main phases were 0.7% off to what the utility company metered!

It is ESP32 based, I use it with the original firmware.

2 Likes

Just a question, I have some power monitoring devices from Tuya and Sonoff that report current, power and voltage but neither can be add as individual devices:

Do I need to create a new sensor with this integration or it’s a matter of waiting until my devices are properly configured through their respective custom integrations?

Edit: In case anyone have the same question, I’ve added the linked integration as follows:

- platform: integration
    source: sensor.ty065834582462ab43a2c4_2
    name: switch_agl_16a_consumption
    unit_prefix: k
    unit: kWh
    round: 2

Then waited for some data to collect and added it normally to the energy dashboard:

9 Likes

Having checked on a friends QNap with the previous Container Station version it looks like QNap have ballsed up…yet again…it appears to be bringing back the first 1000 results only.

(as an aside does the Docker hub really need to have al the older versions anymore - especially the dev and beta ones - could they not be moved to some sort of archive?)

For that ESPHome has to build/add support for Sirens as entities (which is currently does not).

1 Like

Tried setting up the energy panel using fixed prices per tariff, but it doesn’t seem to calculate the costs at the moment. Is this a bug?

Did an hour pass? Statistics are calculated once an hour.

1 Like