2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable

Never used it or saw is before, but it seems that the code is having this option

2 Likes

Ah, a secret parameter. 2 stipulations though: Only works if the entity is unset and active is set

Weird. I must Have a completely anomalous version of that addon then because since the day I’ve installed it, all the entities I am displaying with it have shown amber/yellow when on/active, just like every other entity on my dashboard.

1 Like

That does explain it @petro . @hacustom does it still work for you?

Check: HA 2022.12 color scheme not inherited, still using paper-item-icon-active-color · Issue #95 · thomasloven/lovelace-template-entity-row · GitHub

No time to check your issue now, but @petro is right on the color: attribute.

Be back later

Just updated to 2022.12 and my dashboard lit up like a multicolor Christmas tree. Wasn’t expecting that based on the blog notes.

Can we possibly get a default theme option added to HA that uses primary/accent colors again? Or how about a toggle for accent vs state colors for those who want it?

My background is in industrial human-machine interface design where “grey is good” and I’ve always thought that the HA devs must be aware of all the research money that goes into that. The classic use of color was really good at giving us a nice calm blue for things in the normal state and yellow for things to pay attention to. I hope we can find our way back at least as an option!

7 Likes

You may find some answers by reading the thread you’ve just posted on.

4 Likes

No. I added the custom theme and that worked great on my normal entities! Thank you so much for that.

My entities displayed with template entity row are “uncolored”, they won’t change color on state change. I think it’s because template entity row uses the paper color attribute to change the icon color when active, and that’s gone now from what I understand.

For sure, lots in here and many more rabbit trails to follow, but just reading doesn’t show my +1 for making these new colors optional.

back…

using:

color: >
        {{iif(states[config.entity].state == 'on','red','black')}}

does its job here

(secret: I havent even set active: true…)

1 Like

Just realized that the icons for my living room lamps that are displayed using fold entity row are working perfectly. A bit of hope that what’s working in that addon could be implemented in others.

The “color” is an undocumented and a bit strange option; seems to work with an entity specified.

code
type: entities
entities:
  - type: custom:template-entity-row
    icon: mdi:car
    color: red
    entity: sun.sun
    color: cyan
    active: false
    active: true
1 Like

Also having some Entities show the same colour for On and Off - This is a binary_sensor.grid_status

Upgrade to the latest version and clear your web browser cache.

3 Likes

Just peeking in. As mentioned, been lazily following this endless debate and I guess, many others too.

What I believe many of us is waiting, is something stable on which we can build and customize our UIs to our liking. Currently most of my UI is themed & customized and because of the change I see it more and more the needed (wasn’t the purpose of this UI change somewhat the opposite?). My UI is somewhat OK because on theming and special cards, but everything based on core defs is not. In a fear that also the variables the themes and cards are using are breaking, I have stopped updating my main installation in 2022.11.5.

Also a large amount of users are using picture elements cards mainly showing the unique floorplans, and css support there is poor. Not even mentioning the manual tinkering needed and especially scalability between viewports. Those needs to be improved also.

Is this current direction optimized to mobiles? I wonder why, they have a ridiculous sized screens and keyboards are even worse. Due to the climate change, energy crisis, remote work etc. we should also reduce our mobility, by the way. If needed to use by phone, I rather pack everything on as small surface as possible, eg. entities cards compared to space-taking tiles and so on.

I recall a document by the ui developers were promised including e.g. new css variables? 2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable - #169 by piitaya

Is that released yet? I think I’ve not come across to that, anyway?

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly Agree with you! I like a “dense” dashboard. I really appreciated the consistent and reliable interface, it was easy for family to pick up.

1 Like

The two colours used on the history graph of a motion sensor are almost indistinguishable (different shades of yellow). They used to be red and green. The current colours have almost no contrast and are completely unsuited for this purpose.

Having skimmed through this thread, there seems to be no easy or obvious way to change the colours to something usable/appropriate.

I consider this is a significant regression.

Are you on the latest version?
That’s how it looks like on default theme:

I was on 2022.12.4 but since you asked I updated to 2022.12.7 which is as of this writing the latest version. Colours didn’t change.

Schermafdruk van 2022-12-19 11-17-01

The colours did change, but not right after the update.

Schermafdruk van 2022-12-19 11-30-26

While definitely an improvement still not as good as they were before 2022.12, having them configurable would be even better.

They are configurable. Through themes. See the post marked as the solution to this topic.

3 Likes