2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable

I beg to differ :wink:
Think about toilet doors: when locked, they are red. When unlocked, they are green. I think it makes most sense to generalize this concept to any door lock.

Alarm colors are imho more personal preference. I’ve no opinion for these.

again, this would be a perfect examply, why it might be better to have state colors defined on an entity level rather than on a domain level.

or at least, having “defaults” on a domain level - and then, still be able to apply state colors individually on an entity level.

2 Likes

keep coming back with the Climate entities and the thermostat card:

still green while heating in thermostat, entity in entities card is correct (just like the more-info is correct)

and the same climate in a tile card als, still showing the green because of Auto:

default theme loaded.

1 Like

It’s impossible to generalize this way. Since the red color does/might raise awareness, it really depends on the particular use-case.

A bit different is with colors commonly interpreted as neutral. Ie dark blue vs light blue, or blue vs grey. They can indicate any state, so it might be used in a universal way. Like open door always blue, while closed - grey. But red color has a generally agreed common meaning.

easy :wink:

homeassitant:
  customize_glob:
    binary_sensor.*_door:
      templates:
        <<: &alert_color
          icon_color: >
            return (state === 'off') ? 'var(--primary-color)' : 'var(--alert-color)';

customize:
    binary_sensor.toilet_door:
      templates: 
        icon_color: >
          return (state === 'on') ? 'var(--primary-color)' : 'var(--alert-color)';

is that something you have to put into the theme.yaml?

Your persistency in the colours issue is great Kenneth!!

No, it’s a custom plugin (see my bio) and you just jot that anywhere in the configuration.yaml.

But.
I don’t want to interfere here. First. Use Ha Frontend. Then use Themes. Then set custom colors in those themes. Then use Card-mod.

If nothing helps you out, try custom-ui.

It’s super elegant. Extremely powerful. Very easy.
But is old, and kept alive. Should be modernized but I can’t. So if anything changes (….) it might break

1 Like

At least, I am at “use card-mod” - but hasn’t got it to work yet… for some reason (I am not yet very familiar with card-mod, since I haven’t used it until now)

True, lots of exaples mentioned where this would be the most userfriendly / Logic, yet one is door open/closed, which is actually a “Switch”, mostly inside door(without locks) but i counts even Doors to the outside, some i care about beeing “open” , the relevans of this state could be triggered by an automation i.e ( Small Kids/ or Filty Dogs presents in the house ) … i know have automations, template for colorizing etc for such “Attention” details, so maybe not the best example, but still i believe a main reason people choose " HomeAssistant" is that it ( atleast previosly ) was mentioned as the most active(Developement/community wise), configurable, adapable Homeautomation system, somehow i reasontly get the feeling, that we are going towards a “mainstream” , market “inspired” solution ,… i siriosly don’t care what others and other similar APPs do/can, and specially how they look, im not into Apple products either, i try to pick/adapt my “VIEWS” cording to my taste and interrest, inspired from my logic, and here and there ( basicly like most of of you guys do ) … i don’t need/want a limited “ready to go solution” , there will be a ever increasing market, market players for this type of apps/solutions

1 Like

Being quite colour-blind myself, like 1 in 8 men, I am often asked how I manage at traffic lights. It always astonishes me this question - I’m in the UK - has non-colour blind people never figured out that red is at the top and green is at the bottom. If I don’t see a light at the bottom, then I need to be seriously considering stopping.

That said to me what is more important is shade, dark red on light green is fine, what I can’t deal with at the moment is light something on light something else (the colours seem to be changing at the moment).

I was once informed that colour blind people, because of their lack of colour vision, are good at spotting shade (same as blind people improve their other senses). So as far as I’m concerned, red and green are fine, just not the same shade.

2 Likes

Colorblindness would be another point for having configurable colors per domain or entity.
That would at least allow people to choose the colors they can recognize.

In my humble opinion - even if I can’t be sure:
It would be hard to tell the difference is showing red - and the other one green without having a direct comparission about the shades?

At least, alert-colors should then be something that is really ‘eye-catching’ for those people…
like the previous “blueish / yellow” which are basically working by clear contrast.

… and another point is, we live in a constant changing world ( somehow market controlled and/ or generation “inspired” ) , so worse case schenario could be that in 5 years ( less or slighty more) there will be “new” influecas , new ideas, new " mainstream" looks, maybe a new UI designer with his/her own ideas inspired by hen’s generation ideas or mainsteam etc.
I seriously don’t want to end up in this situation again ( everytime Time Changes ), and it’s no offenece to DEV, or Paul, but i want to build my system, and “hopefully” reconnice it 's look, feel and color in the next 20 years, im 60 plus, NOT interrested in changing colors/look and feel every UI-Generation
EDIT: i have for years been anoyed by Microsoft’s etc contant changes, i mean what’s the benefit of learning to “navigate” in a product every 3-5 years ?, it’s contraproductive, it’s anoyingandit’s , and somehow an irelevant change ( most of the time ) , if it’s not changed for simplicity or due to core code issues.
A Homeautomation system is not something that you “ditch” because you get tired of the look, the color, or the shades, it’s something that should work cording to your own preferences, color-blind, old tiered eyes, personalaty etc.

6 Likes

Just to help a little.

There are international agreements about states colors, worldwide accepted and used.

I know, HA is not an industrial machine, but it stil is software, that operates electrical devices.

So, there are some colors, which do have a meaning, that we should respect in my eyes.

I’m not demanding anything, just putting this information here, anyone, who likes to use that info, feel free to do so.

This is the content of that agreement:

7 Likes

tbh, given State color of thermostat entity based on wrong attribute. ¡ Issue #14608 ¡ home-assistant/frontend ¡ GitHub, I feel that issue should be re-opened. dont think PR fixes the issue of coloring the climate entity based on the attribute?

still seeing a green icon when heating in the tile card, and also a green slider circle on the stock thermostat card

as far as I can remember, in my case, the thermostat card did never behave different.
The color was always selected as per condition (auto, heating,…)

grafik

It did not change the color when I increased the temperature while in “Auto” mode…
But to really veryfy this, I would need to downgrade to 2022.11.x …

1 Like

I just spun up 2022.10 and it is working exactly the same way as it does today in 2022.12.5

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 09.25.00 AM

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 09.24.52 AM

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 09.27.16 AM

here are the state attributes:

hvac_modes:
  - heat_cool
  - heat
  - cool
  - 'off'
min_temp: 44.6
max_temp: 95
target_temp_step: 0.5
fan_modes:
  - auto
  - 'on'
preset_modes:
  - Away
  - Sleep
  - Home
current_temperature: 73.5
temperature: 74
target_temp_high: null
target_temp_low: null
current_humidity: 29
fan_mode: auto
hvac_action: heating
preset_mode: Home
aux_heat: 'on'
fan: 'on'
climate_mode: Sleep
equipment_running: auxHeat1,fan
fan_min_on_time: 25
friendly_name: Thermostat
supported_features: 91

Not a reply to recent postings but more an inspirational posting.

This is my main dash board

The two cards are - to the left all the sensors

To the right - anything I can control

Below alarm panel and status of where we are. As you can see my wife is home sitting at the home office desk in our bedroom.

The card are Picture Elements Cards.

Let me walk through some things to note.

Left card - upper left corner. Wasking machine goes red when on. Smoke alarm (flame) is green when all is OK and red when there is smoke.

The door to the outside has two sensors. One for open/closed. And one for the lock. It is not a smart lock. It is just a sensor. A reed relay in the door frame and a magnet glued to the tip of the locking bolt.

Both green when door is close and lock is locked. And they both go red when open.

Left card - bottom center. You see a closed door (green) and the lock is not locked (red)-

All the little person icons. The walking men are motion sensors. The little guy with the checkmark or the guy with the radiation on top are presence sensors (mm radars). Different icons depending on which model they are. For these green makes no sense. They are grey when nothing is there and red when they detect someone.

Left card - all windows are green for closed and red for open.

Left card bottom. Mail box. Green when empty and red when mail is present.

Left card. The two beds are the bedsensors. Grey when empty. Red when occupied

Left card. Toilet - grey when normal and red when seat and cover is up. We had a rat coming through the toilet at 1:30 am. That was real fun. Learned my lesson. Added a sensor. Still working on a solution to close it.

Right card. All the lights are the colours that they are shining. Fans used to be yellow. Now blue. OK with me. I use icons that represent the lamps.

Right card - curtains and blinds - I changed those from ugly purpole to yellow open and green closed.

Right card - lower left. The cloud. That is a narrow curtain that I can control that covers the sun when I lie in my sofa. And it follows the sun movement so I am kept in the shade. Lovely silly idea.

Right card - middle left - two drops. Bold drop - long flush - open drop - short flush. They go yellow I think when you flush and you can also click them and flush - only used for demonstrations

Below the two cards. Alarm card. Note that green is unarmed. And I have red for armed.

It was the two cards with all the little icons that all changed colours from what I had defined for each one that triggered by initial rage.

1 Like

It is stated in PR, that

If the entity support hvac_action, …

is this the case in your climates?

1 Like

IIRC it has to because of the controls at the bottom and the states

EDIT: It does, look at this attributes.

EDIT: I thought you were replying to crzynik :man_facepalming:

1 Like