2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable

Downgrade to 2022.11.5 is your best option right now unless there is something specific you need in 2022.12. After over 500 posts on this topic and 6 updates later, there are still many affected users. The developers pulled the rug underneath without much warning and you have to deal with it their way!

4 Likes

Dangit…I thought I had saved a post in this thread where someone had posted a theme that brought back “standard” color icons but now I can’t find it. Would you be chance have a good recommendation on a theme? I’ll keep searching too.

@tom_l posted the link 4 posts up.

1 Like

That was the one, thank you. Got the theme working but doesn’t look it works for the entities I have on my frontend using template entity row. Ah well.

Why do you think this? This statement is of course wrong.

2 Likes

probably due to the usage of variables in card mod… ? :slight_smile:

Use vars in card-mod properly or do not use them (since they became so unstable & unpredictable)

Like most of you it gives me headache to find a solution

- type: custom:template-entity-row
    icon: mdi:power-socket-eu
    name: Washing Plug is using {{states('sensor.power_96')}} W
    state: >-
      {% if is_state('switch.new_toilet_heater', 'off')%} Off  {% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '0')%} Not Active {% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '1')%} On Standby{% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '2')%} On Standby  {% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '3')%} On Standby {% else %} Running{% endif
      %}
    color: >-
      {% if is_state('switch.new_toilet_heater', 'off')%} white {% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '0')%} Cornsilk {% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '1')%} BlanchedAlmond{% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '2')%} Bisque {% elif
      is_state('sensor.power_96', '3')%} Wheat {% else %} yellow {% endif %}

All I see is a yellow icon, not changing Tried state_color: true/false renamed color: >- to Color-icon etc. who can help me in de right direction?

Really? I tried for an hour or two to get the icon to change colors based on state but couldn’t manage it. I did manage to change the entire entity color once, cover control buttons and all…. I tried some other ideas but was 10 layers deep in CSS layers and couldn’t figure out what worked.

Have a ready of this:

template-entity-row doesn’t support color. You should check out the docs for your custom cards that you’re implementing. Your attempts have nothing to do with the topic at hand other than the word color.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you are saying before 2022.12 it worked perfect. So what your saying is can not be right. @petro

Not sure what to tell you, the card itself doesn’t support color. So you’re using something else to set the color on that line. I don’t know of any custom card that adds the color attribute, maybe custom UI. @Mariusthvdb might know better on that front. Regardless, it doesn’t look like it ever supported color, so somehow if that worked, it was a fluke.

1 Like

Never used it or saw is before, but it seems that the code is having this option

2 Likes

Ah, a secret parameter. 2 stipulations though: Only works if the entity is unset and active is set

Weird. I must Have a completely anomalous version of that addon then because since the day I’ve installed it, all the entities I am displaying with it have shown amber/yellow when on/active, just like every other entity on my dashboard.

1 Like

That does explain it @petro . @hacustom does it still work for you?

Check: HA 2022.12 color scheme not inherited, still using paper-item-icon-active-color ¡ Issue #95 ¡ thomasloven/lovelace-template-entity-row ¡ GitHub

No time to check your issue now, but @petro is right on the color: attribute.

Be back later

Just updated to 2022.12 and my dashboard lit up like a multicolor Christmas tree. Wasn’t expecting that based on the blog notes.

Can we possibly get a default theme option added to HA that uses primary/accent colors again? Or how about a toggle for accent vs state colors for those who want it?

My background is in industrial human-machine interface design where “grey is good” and I’ve always thought that the HA devs must be aware of all the research money that goes into that. The classic use of color was really good at giving us a nice calm blue for things in the normal state and yellow for things to pay attention to. I hope we can find our way back at least as an option!

7 Likes

You may find some answers by reading the thread you’ve just posted on.

4 Likes