2022.12: It does matter!

Link to open issue on Github - if you find anything post it there:

EDIT: And if you don’t have time to click on that - short story is it appears to be related to camera streams.

I’ve that error occasionally and shouldn’t be related with this version since I’me still running the 2022.11.5.

I can see that some people would like to have other colors and/or customisable colors but for me this change just makes things weird and counter intuitive to be honest.

I have never been a big user of the history function but I have had a couple of history cards in my main sceen to track the kids TV usage. If my memory serves me right they where red (off) and green (on) which to be is pretty intuitive. Now all of a sudden they are gray and blue/purpleish instead which isn’t something I would relate or equate to on or off and I have to spend time figuring out how to change this back.

Shouldn’t changes like this be introduced as a configurable item and that the default configuration equates to the previous behaviour?

As of now I have no idea or more information on this change than this blogpost and I have to search for more info on how to adjust these settings. No reference or updated manual (or are there? Where in that case?)

6 Likes

First of all, thank you for your clarification and thanks to all developers for another year of doing a great job!

Now please allow me to share my thoughts about this change because it had quite a substancial impact on the way I’m using some dashboards.

TL;DR: It would have been great if design changes like these were optional. I’ll try to explain it by showing you my home screen. (although I altered it a bit to make my argument stand out a little more)

Two dashboards, one with 3 active alerts and one without active alerts:

This dashboard gives me a quick overview of the current situation in my home. It’s designed with the dark cockpit philosophy in mind. That’s a design philosophy in aviation which basically comes down to “During normal operation all alert lights are turned off. An alert light only turns on when an event occured that needs attention.” Hence there are no “OK” lights.

One of the most important features I tried to build in this dashboard, can be found in the top row. I’m using it as a way alert me that something needs my attention (mostly non-urgent), i.e. somebody dropped something in my letter box (top left) or some lights are still on (top right). These icons used to turn bright yellow when something needed my attention, which is a great contrast against the dark background and the dark blue neighboring elements. After I took care of an alert, it turned dark blue again.

I adopted this dark cockpit philosophy because I’m quite easily overwhelmed when there are many elements in many different colors involved. (flashy websites, detailed roadmaps and infographics, you name it…) It basically makes me blind for the things that actually matter. That’s why this dark cockpit philosophy works great for me as it makes important elements stand out against other elements. To make it work even better, I tried to limit the number of colors/shades to about 3 to 5, especially in overview dashboards like my home screen. But sadly enough, this update “broke” this design for me.

To make it work this way, I’m using switches, binary_sensors, input_booleans, fans and lights. I’m well aware that this might not be the best way to build such a dashboard but so far I haven’t found a better way to do so.

Of course I understand that some changes simply need to be done at some. I’m also well aware that many people really like these new color features, probably even the majority of users. But I truly hope that you and your fellow developers keep in mind that there’s also a group of users, apart from those who are having visual disabilities, who are prone to sensitivities like I described above. Especially when it comes to design changes, it would be great if there’s some sort of fall back.

Fortunately December holidays are coming, so I’ll have plenty of time to find a way to work around these new color features. :wink: And while doing so, I wish you and your fellow developers happy holidays!

11 Likes

So this is my story handling this so far:

Started to look at the Entities Card documentation to change this.

Hm, searching for “color” and cound the config value “state_color” ok.
Could this be something? Not sure, gotta check, since I don’t recall off the top of my head what “boolean” is.
Ok, true or false. This only reffers to the icon SHOWING it’s color, right, wrong setting.
So where do I SET the color then?

Back to the blog post.
Ok, “Checkout the documentation for more information about Tile features”, lets to just that.

Hm, but I am not using the tile card at all in my current config.
Do I have to, to be able to set the color.
But these settings looks more promising, here the “color” config value has a description that outright tells me it will set the color when the entity is active. Great! It does not state if it impacts the history graph bar though. But since that is my goal I will try. (If I hadn’t come from the release notes, but rather just looking for how to change the color of the history bar I wouldn’t at all connect these two together).

Ok, back to my HA instance. Add a card, tile card, in with my entity, change the color under “Apparance” and it looks promising. Great. Save and exit.

Hmm, well that didn’t do anything to the history graph.
Ok, back to the relase notes again.

Well, the post only tells me that there are “Shiny new state colors!” that are predictable, recognizable (Not that I would equate purple to the state on but ok) and visible on the Logbook and History Page.
But where do I change them?

So, search for “color” on the page and get to the comments.
Some comments and thoughts about the change, OK, a comment from Piitaya and a link to a concept, could that be something? Nope, a GUI demo which looks god but not what I am looking for.

“Before the update, it was not possible de change the color based of state and domain. We saw that many people relies of third party card to change color” OK, but what does this mean? Is it only the Tile button state where I can change the color or can I change it for the history as well?
Ok, 10 comments, lets look at those.

“homeassistant.update_entity is configurable per entity, so rate limiting is in the hands of the user.”
Doesn’t mean anything to me but let’s resarch it.

“homeassistant.update_entity color”

First three hits on Google dor me are a forum post from 17 jan 2021 “Store random color from list”, not applicable.

The release notes for 2022.12, which I am currently working my way through

A link to Entity state color changes | Home Assistant Developer Docs from Paul about CSS variables and themes. Is this applicable to me as a end user? Probably not, it shouldn’t be. And it refers to themes and the HA documentation, lets look there again. (Home Assistant Frontend - Home Assistant)

“Defining themes” and “Theme format”. Ok, this refers me to configuration.yaml, something that I as a end user thinker with and not neccisarily equate with a developer. It could be something but it’s too vauge to be honest. It’s about a general themes colors, not about changing the specific sensor color in history.

Back to the comments again.

Hm, ok, here is something else:

“second, please point us to the color var used for the regular ‘on’ state, so we can adapt that in hour themes.
The doors currently are blue, but when I check frontend/ha-style.ts at efda2ab626ff59e5937d67cea50e7a0886635b5e · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub 1 the state-on-color is ‘66a61e’, which is green.”

Seems like “ha-style.ts” is promising, but I have never tinkered with that previously. Let’s reasearch.

Google gives me Taylor Swift vide Style as a result to “ha-style.ts”, great then I have a soudtrack at least to acompany me. Other Swift videos and then a link to the Github repository with the file. No manual or description so far.

Third hit is back to “Home Assistant Frontend - Home Assistant”, same link as the developer documentation sent me to.
Looking at the Github repository with the file doesn’t make me any wiser either. frontend/ha-sortable-style.ts at 1dbe8c9b64b3094745ffedc441f002acb4da1b8f · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

Back to the comment, Hm, Mairusthvdb links to a Github repository/file as well and he states colors he uses in his theme. Lets look at that, ok, so it’s a never version of the file which now contains alot more settings than the previous version I found.

Ok, Taylor swift is out and Tool - Schism comes on, better soundtrack at least.
Mairusthvdb is posting screenshots with different colors and a change he made to get it back.
I am trying to find the color for my media player, let’s search the file.
Now I actully think I am getting somewhere, row 164 "–rgb-state-media-player-color: var(–rgb-indigo-color);
".

Ok, so let’s now look for this file in my HA instance and break things.
Enter my trusty File editor add on, config dir. Ok, my Yaml files which I usually deal with.
But no frontend dir and I am not allowed outside of /config either.
Sop lets go to the terminal add on instead then.
Ok, nothing there either. Let’s resarch the location of this file then. Should be in a frontend dir but where is that located?

Is that even located anywhere I can access?
Ok, life happens and I have allready spent over an hour just researching this and gotten nowhere.

Let’s make a mental note to look into GitHub - home-assistant/frontend at efda2ab626ff59e5937d67cea50e7a0886635b5e the next time I have the time.

To be continued (or if someone explains to me how I should go about it)

1 Like

Hi,

since the update to 2022.12 I have the problem, that my recorder doesn’t start.
I’m using MariaDB on an external USB drive and receive the following related errors when I restart home assistant:

Error during connection setup: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)") (Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8) (retrying in 3 seconds)

Setup failed for recorder: Integration failed to initialize.
2022-12-10 13:41:53.858 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.core] Error during connection setup: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8) (retrying in 3 seconds)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3361, in _wrap_pool_connect
return fn()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 325, in connect
return _ConnectionFairy._checkout(self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 888, in _checkout
fairy = _ConnectionRecord.checkout(pool)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 491, in checkout
rec = pool._do_get()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 145, in _do_get
with util.safe_reraise():
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/langhelpers.py", line 70, in __exit__
compat.raise_(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 210, in raise_
raise exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 143, in _do_get
return self._create_connection()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 271, in _create_connection
return _ConnectionRecord(self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 386, in __init__
self.__connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 684, in __connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/langhelpers.py", line 70, in __exit__
compat.raise_(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 210, in raise_
raise exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 680, in __connect
self.dbapi_connection = connection = pool._invoke_creator(self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/create.py", line 578, in connect
return dialect.connect(*cargs, **cparams)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 598, in connect
return self.dbapi.connect(*cargs, **cparams)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 123, in Connect
return Connection(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 185, in __init__
super().__init__(*args, **kwargs2)
MySQLdb.OperationalError: (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 699, in _setup_recorder
self._setup_connection()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 1153, in _setup_connection
Base.metadata.create_all(self.engine)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/schema.py", line 4930, in create_all
bind._run_ddl_visitor(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 341, in _run_ddl_visitor
with self.begin() as conn:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/contextlib.py", line 135, in __enter__
return next(self.gen)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 379, in begin
with self.connect() as conn:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 406, in connect
return super(Engine, self).connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3315, in connect
return self._connection_cls(self, close_with_result=close_with_result)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 96, in __init__
else engine.raw_connection()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3394, in raw_connection
return self._wrap_pool_connect(self.pool.connect, _connection)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3364, in _wrap_pool_connect
Connection._handle_dbapi_exception_noconnection(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2198, in _handle_dbapi_exception_noconnection
util.raise_(
raise exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3361, in _wrap_pool_connect
return fn()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 325, in connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 888, in _checkout
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 491, in checkout
rec = pool._do_get()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 145, in _do_get
compat.raise_(
raise exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 143, in _do_get
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 271, in _create_connection
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 386, in __init__
self.__connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 684, in __connect
compat.raise_(
raise exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 680, in __connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/create.py", line 578, in connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 598, in connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 123, in Connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 185, in __init__
sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8)
2022-12-10 13:41:56.894 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.core] Error during connection setup: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8) (retrying in 3 seconds)
return fn()
rec = pool._do_get()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self.__connect()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
MySQLdb.OperationalError: (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 699, in _setup_recorder
self._setup_connection()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 1153, in _setup_connection
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/schema.py", line 4930, in create_all
bind._run_ddl_visitor(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 341, in _run_ddl_visitor
return next(self.gen)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 379, in begin
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 406, in connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3315, in connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 96, in __init__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3394, in raw_connection
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3364, in _wrap_pool_connect
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2198, in _handle_dbapi_exception_noconnection
util.raise_(
raise exception
return fn()
rec = pool._do_get()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self.__connect()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
2022-12-10 13:41:59.913 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.core] Error during connection setup: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
return fn()
rec = pool._do_get()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self.__connect()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self._setup_connection()
bind._run_ddl_visitor(
return next(self.gen)
util.raise_(
raise exception
return fn()
rec = pool._do_get()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self.__connect()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
2022-12-10 13:42:02.933 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.core] Error during connection setup: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2002, "Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.30.33.5' (115)")
return fn()
rec = pool._do_get()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self.__connect()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self._setup_connection()
bind._run_ddl_visitor(
return next(self.gen)
util.raise_(
raise exception
return fn()
rec = pool._do_get()
compat.raise_(
raise exception
self.__connect()
compat.raise_(
raise exception

From the IP, it seems a container, any chance this container got a new IP after a possible recent reboot?

Is your db service running properly?
Seems unavailable/unreachable, so can be many things causing it.

Hi,
no the IP is still the same.
And I can connect to the database using PHPMyAdmin

Hi,
I have to correct - the IP is different now.
it changed to 172.30.33.1 for whatever reason.
Works again - thanks

me too.
Anyone knows what we can do to solve it?

Why changes to stylying are not listed in breaking changes?
HA team do that for parts which impact custom integration to help 3rd party developers make they components compatible. And ussually there is fade out time period to help the transition. Obviously they does matter.

Why there was not the same approach applied to changes around themes and stylying? no single word to be exact

Hi there!

Great new release!
I was trying to use a new sensor created for “Combine the state of several sensors” for adding up all energy of my lights and it works (i had some problems with units but fixed them). However when i had it to the energy dashboard i get the folloing warnings:

Is this “fixable”? (like possibility for adding this attributes, like device_class)

1 Like

Mine has managed to not have any reboots since the .1 update.24 hours and counting…

1 Like

So, I just received my SkyConnect today, which should have matter (now or later), but is this where I need the matter server add-on for? Or are those 2 different things?

For now SkyConnect only adds the ZHA add-on.

Maybe due to this: Multi-pan temporarily disabled | Home Assistant Developer Docs

Maybe, problem is I have no testcase that I know of for sure. I think Nest Hub gen 2 have Thread enabled but not really sure.

Here’s to holding my breath maybe they will have fixed the mess that broke filters in 2022.11 making start-up take eternities

SPOILER: They didn’t. Still takes like 10-15 minutes to start up vs the 15-20 seconds of 2022.10.5.

3 Likes

Mine has crashed twice since the 0.1 update. I had to power cycle the pi4 this morning just to get it back online after memory hit over 90%

I have to agree with you. I cannot remember the last time I said I hated a new feature in this awesome project. Not being a css expert, it will take me hours to go thru all of my dashboards and change all of my card-mod styles to undue this.

2 Likes