2022.2: Let's start streamlining!

One week? Who is the group of testers, and how big is it? Are users allowed to opt-in to this beta testing program to assist, or is this just reserved for devs? Is there any formal user testing done beyond the dev-built programmatic tests? Otherwise, the feedback you get is after a user’s installation breaks, their home is dark, and they’re really pissed off. Not all problems that occur on releases are the result of breaking changes. It is impossible, as you said, to foresee all possible problems and label them as “breaking changes”. Dev’s clearly don’t like people complaining; but then again, users of YOUR SW don’t like surprises. Perhaps we can help (if you choose to let us).

2 Likes

Anyone can join beta.

Everyone can join the group of testers. Everyone can install the latest beta or even the nightly dev builds. Everyone can start testing the bleeding edge stuff. There is no formal way to join. You simply install, test and give feedback. It has always been that way. This is the beauty of open source.

This is literally covered every single release thread by people who think only 5 people join the beta. There’s around 1000 or so people in each beta. Maybe 100 in alphas (dev nightly build). Anyone can join beta, anyone can join the alpha (dev nightly build).

Since the last frontend update included in 2022.2.x, cameras loading are very slow, did someone else notice ?

I experience the same behavior either on Chrome, Firefox, Safari on MacOS or windows.
It’s even worse on iOS and on my fire HD 10 wall tablets.
No problem with iOS Home app via Homekit bridge though, so it’s not in the camera integrations but apparently in the latest version of HA frontend.

2 Likes

Just tested - I got 405 with 2022.2.1

Indeed ,figured it out , seems not possible anymore to use nabucasa and google assistant manual at the same timex I had to disable now the NC edition

1 Like

I only use local media with the Media Browser but even with the changes in core-2022.2.1 I don’t see any next/previous arrows and can only play one track at a time i.e. cannot select a list and let it play. Each track has to be started.
Any tips on the best way to set up for local media?
Thnx

For someone who says they are active here, statements like this sound like your just trolling. Anyone can and do participate in the beta, its not closed off and has been mentioned on this forums so many times how

4 Likes

Since you only have Arm Disarm notifications enabled could you do me a favor and look in the EyezOn app or online and do a HA restart and see if you get a *1 Event. Thanks John

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: I’m unhappy with the removal of GPIO

In my understanding,
The Works for Nest API was depreciated, on developers.nest.com
Implying the same might turn unstable, in which the unexpected behavior might confuse people?
Not only can the API stop anytime, but the worse, since its actively being turned down, the API developer does not guarantee any contract, implying when calling the API, some fields might turn missing or malformed.
I am sure there exists some repo on HACS which will allow this until the API is completely dead.
I found this useful : Works with Nest - HA Page

1 Like

EXACTLY what I do as well. The whole setup to the Google API was overly complicated and I could never get it to work, so HomeBridge rescued me.

A post was merged into an existing topic: I’m unhappy with the removal of GPIO

Thanks, saved me a lot of time. I’m running the community plugin on TrueNAS and updated late last night to get this message as well.

I’m not sure if its the best way to do it, but I appended the switch in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/homeassistant in my jail to get back up and running, if it helps anyone in the same situation as me.
Line #98
HA_CMD="${_srv_} --ignore-os-check"
Found the proper place for it on line #116
HA_ARGS="--ignore-os-check --config ${homeassistant_config_dir}"

However this doesn’t help when restarting HA from it’s own server controls so have to find a way to make it a permanent option until the OS check is a little more inclusive.

Update: Plugin fix for restarting from GUI is here:

Can manually update the rc.d file or just update the plugin from TrueNAS (gotta hand it it Troy, had actually fixed this 2 days ago)

If that’s the case, it’s surely an oversight worth opening an issue.

Looks like someone just did…

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/65733

Actually, I guess the failing OS check is one thing, not ignoring OS check on restart is another.
Seems the OS check issue not going to be fixed as has been closed as not a breaking change and ignoring os check is the only option so guess better open a new one.

If you want a sneak peak at what’s happening with the next release bookmark this link. It will always take you to the latest release notes, including betas. So when the next beta drops this link will show you the beta release notes.

If you see something that might affect you in the beta release notes join the beta (see the link petro provided) and submit any issues you have right away. That’s your very best chance to get the dev’s attention if something is wrong - beta fixes are top priority.

4 Likes

Also there is an easy way to join the beta program if you are running HASOS. Just go to the Supervisor / System box and click the Join Beta button. You can leave the beta testing program same way.

And have backups. Lots of Backups. That are copied off your system (automate it). The beta releases are usually quite stable but you need this insurance.

Also know how to revert to an earlier version in case something does not work quite right in a beta release.

5 Likes

Thanks Jason! Bookmarked and will follow up.

Thanks Tom. Appreciate the links and details. Cheers.

2 Likes