2022.2: Let's start streamlining!

Well, the last thing, I will say, before I quit this discussion.

You push the button. State OFF → State ON → State OFF

what happens with the machine behind it (goes to AUTO), has nothing to do with the state of the button. The button is OFF.

If somehow you restart the controlling device (HA for example), then it is the machine, who is in UNKNOWN state, not the button. The button is OFF. It is not pushed right now. It will report ON when pushed.

But, this discussion is ridiculous, as said before. Not worthy my time anymore. I’m quitting it now.

Not angry or something, just do not feel like my help is anyhow appreciated, so turning my head toward useful stuff.

4 Likes

You almost have that right. It’s the machine knowledge of the button’s state that can be unknown.

Refer to the example I posted previously. What’s the state of my kitchen switch right now? You don’t know for sure until I tell you. Therefore, based on your current knowledge of the switch’s state, it’s unknown.

3 Likes

+1 here, empty dashboards

The solution:

At least you could find that phone.

1 Like

So there is a button that reboots, say, a Shelly device. What should it’s state be? Are you saying it’s state should literally be “operational” or perhaps “available”.

Updated to 2022.2.2 and noticed that the Shelly’s with Tasmota did not come up. Mqtt is working fine in 2021.12.10, also when I rolled back the update, back to 2021.12.10.

The Shelly’s with Tasmota 8.5.1 are connected to a light. Sensor status is working, but light.entity name is not working in the newest update 2022.2.2

Did not find any logging errors, none?!? Someone else had this or seen something similar?

I have problem with rename device or change place. In interface button for save not active, if reload page button active but not save changes. Try use other browser no lucky.
Restore 2021.12.10 version - no problem.

1 Like

Regarding " The Legacy “Works With Nest API is deprecated and support will be removed in Home Assistant Core 2022.5 "

I have set up a work around that will keep functionality going for a while after 2022.4.x.

I had a spare Raspberry Pi running a very basic instance of home assistant attached to an APC UPS sending status information via “Network UPS Tools” to my main instance of home assistant.

Given I never need to upgrade this remote instance as it just works, I decided to transfer my Works with Nest integration to the remote instance that will never be upgraded after 2022.4.x.

I then installed HACS on the the remote instance and then a custom component called " Remote Home-Assistant " https://github.com/custom-components/remote_homeassistant

With “Remote Home Assistant” installed on both my Home Assistant instances I am able to retrieved all of the states from my Nest Thermostat and my 2 Nest Protects from the remote instance.

I am also able to control things like Temperature , Heat on/off and Home and Away from my main ( updatable ) instance of Home Assistant.

1 Like

not_currently_trying_to_reboot_the_shelly :rofl:

4 Likes

I guess if we were really crafty, we could run two instances of HA on a single device.

device.tracker_kitchen.phone

Not much black magic
Just run 2 HA containers with different ports.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s no big deal.

I’m currently running 3 instances (2 HA Container and 1 HA Supervised) on one machine to test different things as I need to.

1 Like

So most of the devices I have that now have these strange buttons are sensors like contact sensors for doors. The sensors them self shows are either open (on) or closed (off). Other then caring if my windows and doors are open or closed I probably care if they are communicating or not. All of these contact sensors are working correctly so they are operational. Having a button with an unknow or unavailable state doesn’t make sense. If they are really looking to transition these from binary_sensors to buttons then they should still represent the state as appropriate for the device. For doors and windows they are open and closed. For motion sensors they either are active or inactive. I’m not aware of the aqara sensors having any control means for rebooting. So all the extra buttons are just confusing.

1 Like

It seem the update broke views with a space in the URL for me.
If I had a url named: “simon office” I won’t be able to access it at all even by selecting the view at the top.
I’ve been able to fix it by going in Raw configuration and adding underscore on all urls that had spaces.
Anybody noticed that or is it just me?

Thanks

I also have a set of contact sensors that report their state on change via mqtt. Other than that they report available. If I restart HA it no longer remembers the previous state. The devices are set to unknown even though they are reporting available. HA used to assume that binary_sensors maintained the same state through a restart. That seemed to be a good assumption as it’s only restarting because I’ve made some change and kicked off the restart. I’m not typically changing the state of sensors while I’m making system updates. Assuming the previous state seemed to make sense. I could understand if HA was off for an extended period of time that you might not want to assume. I was able to change the software on these sensors so that they report current state once a minute. Is there any guidance on what’s an appropriate update interval? Is repeating the same state the expected way for sensors to work with HA and not end up in an unknown state?

By buttons show as sensible names like “Restart Shelly” - what are yours called in the UI?

One example of a button that was created associated with a contact senor on a window

button.lumi_lumi_sensor_magnet_aq2_16ebe401_identify      unknown    device_class: update

I believe that identify buttons are there for you to find which physical device corresponds to which entity. If you press the button, the device should be identified, like a light flashing or a siren beeping. I assume with a window sensor the little pairing light should light up or flash. I haven’t found the docs yet.

Once it has been pressed the state changes from unknown to the timestamp of the last time it was pressed.

If you don’t want it showing up, just disable it.

1 Like