2022.2: Let's start streamlining!

Update went well, no issues to report.

Can’t say I’m a fan of how the binary sensors are now being handled. I have RF PIRs that now report ‘unknown’ after a reboot where before 2022.2 they reported as ‘clear’ until they were next activated.

Is there a way to have them revert to how they previously reported?

3 Likes

Has anyone else noticed a spike in higher CPU usage right after installing 2022.1?
CPU activity fluctuates in a see-saw pattern right after reboot, but gradually increases to ~20%, which, temperature wise, is a major issue in case of RaspPi hardware.
Glances show it’s caused by python’s process in the main HA container.

I haven’t.

Me too!
I have mqtt binary_sensors which get their payload from gpio inputs with buttons.
If they are available (availability_topic), the state is definitive off if the button is not pressed.

5 Likes

I get that but other then parity, does it bring anything else positive to HA as I can see lots of negative?

Surely based on the known negatives it wasn’t just added for parity alone! Is there any other reason for adding this do we know?

2 Likes

HA 2022.2.2: Try to rename Device Name and Entities not working anymore.
Can anyone confirm this?

Entity Name is readonly and cant store changes in “Bereich”.

There are quite a few integrations being migrated to gui, and a database migration. Perhaps that is using cpu.

as a beta tester, and a dev installer, please let me warn you on OS updates shown when in the beta channel…

Ofc you understand the difference between the actual OS and HA Core. Yet, they both are displayed. Be warned to always check the issues on the OS updates, because they are way more critical when issues have been found than the Core updates. Core, one can simply downgrade. OS issues can truly brake the instance, and might need some more work repairing…

‘Open release notes’ takes you to the repo, and check issues there!
https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues is the direct link.

Though I blindly install the nightly Core dev’s on my production system (only 1nce had an issue in the last half year or so) Ive learned to not do so with OS, and use a dedicated machine for that…

2 Likes

iirc, it will have the timestamp as state, and should even be restored in next release (currently in dev)

When you say “restored”, do you mean on ha restart? Mine does that on 2022.2.2.

Yes, and ok, didn’t realize it was already live, (so many Pr’s to follow…)
All the better!

@nickrout this was what I was referring to: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/65696
mentions also for button

May depend on the integration of course.

Seems to be a known issue.
Can’t rename devices after Core update 2022.2.2 - Home Assistant OS - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
and
Lost the ability to edit device names - option is greyed out - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I’ve just installed rpi_gpio from HACS ( https://github.com/thecode/ha-rpi_gpio ) and it’s transparent, all working as same before… Let’s see after they removed it in Home Assistant Core 2022.6.

1 Like

Yes, I have already installed via HACS. I’m trying to find an answer if the integration is still working in the kernel and the same via HACS, which integration is now running, which has priority?

Quick, tell me the current state of my garage door.

You don’t know what it is so you say the truth, the door’s state is unknown. That’s how all binary_sensors (in other integrations) work except Template Binary Sensors which, until now, would fake it and claim the door is closed.

Telling the truth about the available information isn’t a negative and that’s why the behavior of Template Sensors is now aligned with others.

1 Like

For the blind person yes. But not for the button. It’s either on or off. Or not available. Unknown state I still don’t get…

4 Likes

I don’t agree.

1 Like

It’s been explained multiple times in this thread

And what about an idle state, for example