2022.5: Streamlining settings

It’s not the purpose of the release notes topic.

I see. That is really shocking and disheartening.

I’ll have to look deeper at this link to see why when I am back home but I have to say this does really make me question my time investment in HA.

HA config is ALWAYS in flux and evolving as automations are added and optimising for the nonexistent steady state seems non ideal. The experience of evolving config should get less clumsy not more.

1 Like

But it’s related to changes, which are published in the release notes.

I’m not trying to be difficult, I’m asking where this should be discussed, because every time this is brought up it’s just shunned and there’s clearly contention on it.

Edit: For example, feature requests about this are simply closed: Core + YAML

1 Like

As I said clearly - at least in the Entities page earlier (in 2022.4) it worked as I expected - it filtered the list to the ONE row.
When THIS became a feature?

Why trying to find a smart algorithm for a very simple and common thing like “find an item by a sub-string”?

Once again I am asking - is it what you wrote your guess or a feature described in the docs/github/etc?

1 Like

it’s not splitting on punctuation, but per character.

searching for bananas would return binary_sensor.oranges_are_best

But point taken, I was thinking about the results list as a whole being ordered by the closeness of the match, Your ay could keep current alphabetical result and just place exact matches first i suppose.

With the Digital Loggers integration removed it says on github the workaround is to do the following:

Alternative: Some models of Digital Loggers products support CoAP over WebSockets . This can be enabled in the External APIs section of the device settings. It will be discovered by Home Assistant as Belkin Wemo devices.

I did the above but Home Assistant does not discover the devices. I looked in integrations and under developer tools and states. Am i looking in the right place? Do I need to add anything to my configuration.yaml?

** figured it out. need to enable UPnP too*

Yup, the system must have removed it. That fixed it, and am now running the latest. Thanks, @nickrout !

2 Likes

At the risk of continuing off-topic conversation, having been using HA for nearly 5 years I have definitely seen that newer users are far less keen to dabble in YAML.

However the UI only Integrations unfortunately don’t allow this like the UI Automations and Scripts do.

If it’s an issue, create yourself a script and put it anywhere you like in your UI.

restart_hass:
  alias: Restart Home Assistant
  sequence:
    service: homeassistant.restart

Also, smooth update again, no issues found so far. Even looks like my VM is using a little less memory now which is great!

It is not a problem for me to restart.
I just do not like unlogical or even silly things.

2 Likes

If you find the placement illogical, do as suggested and create the script and place it in a logical location within your UI - You will never have to worry about it’s location again.

Once again about the “new filtering algorithm”:

I started with a “life360_iphone_6” substring, then added more letters to reduce a number of possible matches.

life360_iphone_6
.life360_iphone_6
r.life360_iphone_6
er.life360_iphone_6
ker.life360_iphone_6
cker.life360_iphone_6

then back to the beginning life360_iphone_6.

And this “smart” algorithm - if it is a feature:
a) gave different results on the “way forward” and on the “way back”;
b) was even increasing number of matches while adding new letters to the search string.

zxcvbaqwsde

Something is a bit off with cache perhaps.

2 minute ago typing aaca would return results including automation.a_c_auto_off but then it stopped working. My son just rebooted my laptop for fun and now it’s working again.

I may be mistaken but this doesn’t feel new to me, i feel it’s been working this way for a while and I like it.

No, I cleared a cache, same behaviour.
I am 100% sure that at least in the Entities list a properly specified mask only returned matching rows (before 2022.5.0).
And I think that I have never in my life seen a different algorithm for filtering by a sub-string.

Great )))
The same “algorithm” is used for the new “search”:

Seems that the new search broke the old filtering.

Created a discussion:

Currently the ONLY table with a proper search is a grid in the Dev tools.
Search in this grid gives only matching items.

2 Likes

This is such a great set of updates!!! The continue on error and parallelism are my favorite and something i asked for over the years.

Thanks for all the hard work!!

Hey! I’ve seen this caseta motion sensor issue was addressed thanks to your request, but do you know if it means it is safe to update now or will it roll out in 5.1?

Anyone having issues with Konnected Alarm showing “failed”? Not sure what has happened between 2022.5.0b6 and the current release.

updating… and took sometime to read this post to find the new location of restart/check configurations and did one time restart host by mistake ← aarrgggghhh… anyway great work. Oh one more thing HACS seems to fail finding the restart pages hahahahaha…

So the ability to restart Home Assistant has moved from Config/Settings to Developer Tools?? I assume that’s gonna be fixed in a later version of 2022.5? Seems like the ability to restart various bits of Home Assistant and do a safety check on the config should be the very first thing in the brand new System menu under Settings.

2 Likes

Not moved, it’s there in addition to the settings page