2023.12: Welcome home!

It may be disabled by default, check your disabled entities in the integration page.

Any way to revert to the old login screen? These multi-click logins are annoying when using password managers. It’s much better to have to enter both username and password every time when auto-filling with my password manager.

1 Like

Petro, did you consider collecting all climate/thermostat card related posts too? might be good to follow the progress being made outside of the release topic

If there is only one mode, it will be hidden for the default dashboard in the 2023.12.1

6 Likes

Meh, that’s not really overtaking the release thread. Gonna keep it here for now.

Yeah, that was indeed the first I noticed
Not very logical, as a setting is temporary, and the current temperature should be the main visual.

Guess I could share my thermostat card since that’s a topic of conversation right now. It uses a Picture Elements card as the background for the Simple-Thermostat and Mini Graph custom cards.

I manage my thermostat temperature scheduling with a bear of an automation that makes too much use of templates that I should eventually re-write but it works, so my motivation to change it is low.

Yaml for Card

The background image is just a transparent PNG, sized to fit the card.

I’m not convinced that the style key at the parent level actually does anything since I think that’s for Card Mod, but I removed Card Mod from my installation and the card didn’t change.

type: picture-elements
image: /local/background200.png
style: |
  ha-card {
    background-size: auto 160px;
  }
  #image {
    height: 160px;
  }
elements:
  - type: custom:simple-thermostat
    entity: climate.t6_pro_z_wave_programmable_thermostat_mode
    name: false
    control: false
    header: false
    sensors:
      - entity: sensor.openweathermap_feels_like_temperature
        name: Outside
      - entity: sensor.t6_pro_z_wave_programmable_thermostat_humidity
        name: Humidity
    hide:
      temperature: true
      state: false
    step_size: 1
    style:
      width: 90%
      height: 100%
      top: 60%
      left: 50%
      z-index: 1
      '--card-background-color': transparent
      '--ha-card-box-shadow': none
      '--st-font-size-xl': 2rem
      '--ha-card-border-width': 0px
  - type: custom:mini-graph-card
    show:
      legend: false
      show_state: false
      name: false
      icon: false
    entities:
      - entity: sensor.t6_pro_z_wave_programmable_thermostat_air_temperature
      - entity: sensor.accuweather_realfeel_temperature
    points_per_hour: 1
    style:
      width: 100%
      height: 100%
      opacity: 0.4
      z-index: 0
      top: 50%
      left: 50%
      background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0)
      pointer-events: none
2 Likes

at first look i thought the new thermostat card was great, but now i’ve updated i noticed that is really garbage.

• the 2 temperatures are swapped
  • the fonts are smaller and now not as good readable from a distance
  • it’s bigger in height and now does not look good anymore on my display
  • i really liked the little buttons for heat, cool, off, etc.
  • the + - buttons are nice but they take too much space, they also could be placed beside the temperatures. or just be gone

the new circle animation and glow are nice but due to the above points not acceptable.
i really want to revert back to the old one, is there a way to do that? or is the only option to restore a backup?
or maybe give it more customization options so anyone can make it how they like?

5 Likes

Anyone notice a bug with tts.google_cloud_say no longer working after update to 2023.12.0?

I just discovered something really weird testing this for you.

I was curious because Google Could TTS is working for me here, when called in my tts message script. But then I tried it in the dev tools services and got this error. There were no errors in the log, only the error show in the UI in this screen shot.

So I wrote a test script that just has a google could tts service call. This also work as expected, tts message plays and no log errors.

test:
  sequence:
    - service: tts.google_cloud_say
      target:
        entity_id: media_player.dining_room_hub
      data:

Calling the service with entity id in the data parameter in the dev tools services UI also works.

As far as I know it should accept a target. It does run when called from script with entity_id in the target. Maybe the dev tools thing is related to your issue. I don’t know if this behaviour existed before the update, I’ve never had a reason to try it in dev tools.

Anyway, found this very strange, I have never seen this discrepancy in behavior before.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this! It seems that my logs report “Unknown input format: ‘LINEAR16’”. Unsure what changed.

This is another kick in the teeth for me, the harmony integration was setup using the switch platform long before the select platform was available. Therefore anyone that has been using harmony for a while will likely have things setup using switches.

I would really love some answers as to why this was removed, I have read comments regarding the fact we don’t need 3 ways to control harmony, why the hell not? Unless it is causing or going to cause an issue in the future are we just removing because we can rather than out of necessity?

Not only do I need to change many automations and scripts now, but I also have to rewrite many template sensors that I created to detect certain groups of activity’s to control other home cinema related systems.

Also for example I am going to have to try and rework something for google assistant as it doesn’t work with select entities so I will be unable to ask google to activate an activity.

I could go on but wont as I am sure there wont be a reasonable answer given as to why fully functional options are just simply removed, seriously I would appreciate a technical answer as to why this has been removed as if there is one then fine at least I can spend my weekend trying to write half my HA knowing I am doing it for good reason and not just because someone decided they wanted to remove it.

4 Likes

I’m not sure either, I’m not getting that error but in general posting log errors when you’re asking about something not working would be quite helpful for people trying to help you figure it out.

Agreed. I should have checked the logs beforehand.

Maybe it’s the media player and not google tts. Have you tried a different media player (preferably from a different platform)? What integration is your media player from?

Negative. Seems to be not-working with multiple (google) media players. tts.google_translate_say works, but tts.google_cloud_say is not working

Here is a few more details"

RuntimeError: Unexpected error while running ffmpeg with arguments: ['ffmpeg', '-y', '-f', 'LINEAR16', '-i', 'pipe:', '-f', 'mp3', '-q:a', '0', '/tmp/tmp6orqju_v.mp3'].See log for details.

You can create template switches of your own to replace the deprecated integration switches.

If you rename and disable the integration switches, you can even give your replacement template switches the same names and entity_id’s, meaning nothing has to change in your scripts and automations.

It took me 10 minutes to do this with about 15 switches, all done in yaml - you’ve got 6 months yet, so plenty of time.

1 Like

Huh. The media player I tested with is a google nest hub, and it’s working fine. Have you tried play other media on the same media players?

Can you posted the entire error from your log? I didn’t find anything searching for the error you posted. We cross posted.

Wonder if has something to do with this.

Just add template switches that share teh same name as the old switches and be done with it. The ammount of effort you’re putting into these posts outweighs the effort fixing your solution. Here’s an example:

switch:
- platform: template
  switches:
    roku:
      friendly_name: Roku
      value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('remote.living_room', 'current_activity', 'Roku') }}"
      turn_on:
      - service: remote.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: remote.living_room
        data:
          activity: Roku
      turn_on:
      - service: remote.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: remote.living_room
        data:
          activity: PowerOff

Add as many activities as you want. Make the slug (in this case roku:) equal to whatever the switches used to be named if they were switch.roku.

Nothing else to change.

And before you get all mad at me and question me 9093424 times about why the change was made: I don’t know. Just adapt and move on, I’m just here to provide this info.

1 Like