2023.2: How can I Assist?

You have to have the recorder component logging at info level or higher to see it

migration.py:        _LOGGER.info("Upgrading recorder db schema to version %s", new_version)
migration.py:        _LOGGER.info("Upgrade to version %s done", new_version)

Also if you leave the sidebar notification it will self dimiss when the migration is complete.

1 Like

Thanks @bdraco

Iā€™m sure everything is fine but, given that I dismissed the notification and didnā€™t have the log level set, how do I know if it has finished?

Restarts are also blocked during the migration. If you can restart from the UI itā€™s done

4 Likes

Thanks @bdraco and @tom_l

I can restart from the UI so Iā€™m all good!

I like to create groups directly in the UI with helpers, but will it soon also be possible to create groups of input_boolean and groups of different domains in the UI?
I currently need to use YAML configuration to group all my lights (light, switch).

First of all: thanks for the update and the always great work.

Iā€™m using the default theme and after the update I noticed a thin border around each card.

My main issue with this: the border leads into less space on the card which changed the display of my climate cards and leads into a broken layout.

new: grafik

old: grafik

Is there a way to deactivate the border so I get back my old layout?
Thank you.

A question about esphome password deprecation.

Will password eventually be removed and devices with password then stop working?

There seem to be more than a few who lost their yaml files, or maybe bought a pre-flashed device and donā€™t even have esphome installed, for whom it is difficult re-flash with encryption. Is it safe long term to ignore the new repair issue?

I formerly defined my sql sensor with the following syntax:

sensor:
  - platform: sql
    db_url: !secret recorder_db_url
    queries:
      - name: Solar System Daily Utilized Energy History
        unit_of_measurement: kWh
        device_class: energy
        query: "SELECT * FROM last_30_records WHERE entity_id = 'sensor.solar_system_daily_utilized_energy'"
        column: "0"

Will this syntax valid again?
No I have no error in the log, but the sensor is not created after restart. The following format works perfectly.

sql:
  - name: Solar System Daily Utilized Energy History Test
    db_url: !secret recorder_db_url
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    query: "SELECT * FROM last_30_records WHERE entity_id = 'sensor.solar_system_daily_utilized_energy'"
    column: "0"

@perjury1 how small is your db? And how long did it take?

I thought log level should have been ā€œinfoā€ by default, no? Should I specify that in the configuration.yaml?

logger:
  default: info

That appears to be the longest DB update ever happening (for me running on a Quad Core i5 server with 32 GB RAM and a NVMe module with MariaDB 10.6.11 which is just the DB host - HA host is idling as to be expected) - for a 18 GiB database I am 30 minutes in and runningā€¦

I think one of the things contributing to the long run time is MariaDB only using one CPU core per session / query and the update is just one query running, to for me it uses ~25% of the CPU.

Not a problem, just an observationā€¦

Any idea how to fix this SQL sensor (MariaDB)?

SELECT state FROM states WHERE entity_id = 'sensor.total_cost_today' AND HOUR(TIMEDIFF(UTC_TIMESTAMP(), last_updated))>=24 ORDER BY last_updated DESC LIMIT 1;

This isnā€™t it:

SELECT state FROM states WHERE entity_id = 'sensor.total_cost_today' AND HOUR(TIMEDIFF(UTC_TIMESTAMP(), last_updated_ts))>=24 ORDER BY last_updated DESC LIMIT 1;

EDIT: With help from Andre, this is the correct query:

SELECT state FROM states
WHERE entity_id = 'sensor.total_cost_today'
AND last_updated_ts <= UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY)
ORDER BY last_updated_ts DESC LIMIT 1;
1 Like

Also I have had to delete every single one of my forty three esphome devices from Devices and Services and add them back again after deleting the password and updating my devices. If I donā€™t do this I get continual disconnections.

This and the last update certainly have been ā€œchallengingā€.

1 Like

I only have 10 esphome devices, but I had to do this with several to get them working again, and to prevent others from being rediscovered every hour.

Oddly, some devices were fine and didnā€™t need to be deleted/readded. Nothing of value in the logs either.

1 Like

I use MariaDB. Since Migration to 2023.2 the Log is horrible, but Recorder seems to work.
Anybody has a Solution?

Log:

2023-02-05 08:12:51.545 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.core] Error during connection setup: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2005, "Unknown MySQL server host 'core-mariadb' (-2)")

(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8) (retrying in 3 seconds)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3361, in _wrap_pool_connect

return fn()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 325, in connect

return _ConnectionFairy._checkout(self)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 888, in _checkout

fairy = _ConnectionRecord.checkout(pool)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 491, in checkout

rec = pool._do_get()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 145, in _do_get

with util.safe_reraise():

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/langhelpers.py", line 70, in __exit__

compat.raise_(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 211, in raise_

raise exception

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 143, in _do_get

return self._create_connection()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 271, in _create_connection

return _ConnectionRecord(self)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 386, in __init__

self.__connect()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 684, in __connect

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/langhelpers.py", line 70, in __exit__

compat.raise_(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 211, in raise_

raise exception

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 680, in __connect

self.dbapi_connection = connection = pool._invoke_creator(self)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/create.py", line 578, in connect

return dialect.connect(*cargs, **cparams)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 598, in connect

return self.dbapi.connect(*cargs, **cparams)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 123, in Connect

return Connection(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 185, in __init__

super().__init__(*args, **kwargs2)

MySQLdb.OperationalError: (2005, "Unknown MySQL server host 'core-mariadb' (-2)")

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 704, in _setup_recorder

self._setup_connection()

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/recorder/core.py", line 1173, in _setup_connection

Base.metadata.create_all(self.engine)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/schema.py", line 4930, in create_all

bind._run_ddl_visitor(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 341, in _run_ddl_visitor

with self.begin() as conn:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/contextlib.py", line 135, in __enter__

return next(self.gen)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 379, in begin

with self.connect() as conn:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 406, in connect

return super(Engine, self).connect()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3315, in connect

return self._connection_cls(self, close_with_result=close_with_result)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 96, in __init__

else engine.raw_connection()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3394, in raw_connection

return self._wrap_pool_connect(self.pool.connect, _connection)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3364, in _wrap_pool_connect

Connection._handle_dbapi_exception_noconnection(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2198, in _handle_dbapi_exception_noconnection

util.raise_(

raise exception

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3361, in _wrap_pool_connect

return fn()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 325, in connect

return _ConnectionFairy._checkout(self)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 888, in _checkout

fairy = _ConnectionRecord.checkout(pool)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 491, in checkout

rec = pool._do_get()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 145, in _do_get

compat.raise_(

raise exception

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 143, in _do_get

return self._create_connection()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 271, in _create_connection

return _ConnectionRecord(self)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 386, in __init__

self.__connect()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 684, in __connect

compat.raise_(

raise exception

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 680, in __connect

self.dbapi_connection = connection = pool._invoke_creator(self)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/create.py", line 578, in connect

return dialect.connect(*cargs, **cparams)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 598, in connect

return self.dbapi.connect(*cargs, **cparams)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 123, in Connect

return Connection(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 185, in __init__

super().__init__(*args, **kwargs2)

sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (MySQLdb.OperationalError) (2005, "Unknown MySQL server host 'core-mariadb' (-2)")

(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8)

The mold indicator integration is no longer initialising as it did in the previous version, https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/87464

There is no mention of MariaDB 10.9.x, where some patches are older than 10.8.4.

Is there an ā€œor laterā€ missing from the description?

MariaDB versions > 10.8 have not been tested, they probably work fine, but may have different regressions.

Right!

Guess I soon will venture into the unknown then :grinning:

Iā€™m sure it will make it back in again soon.

Itā€™s funny that it was when testing the new Group sensor that I found the need for it. Averaging 3 temps led to a recurring decimal!