2023.3: Dialogs!

Agreed, it seems more often now these “prettifications” / simplifications are being added without sufficient thought into actual usability. I thought they were just fine before. It would be interesting to see if any of this was discussed (and ignored) in beta. A LARGE majority of the time the dev team is spot on, but sometimes we’re left :thinking:.

I like the Sensor Display precision addition. I have a tone of sensors, and started going through my Dashboard to set the precision. It occurred to me that it would be super handy to be able to perhaps use a configuration parameter in YAML (or the UI) to set the default precision for a particular domain or attribute. There is a default precision specified in the dropdown. Perhaps there is (or could be) a way to set that default value ourselves. I’m thinking something like “all temperature values” or “all humidity values” or something like that.Perhaps that could be considered for a future addition.

5 Likes

Something I only just noticed on the weekend is that since the new light dialog has been implemented I no longer have the ability to alter the white channel of my RGBW lights (running ESPhome). All I have access to is the colour wheel but no white channel setting. Previously I was able to adjust the brightness of the colour and white channels separately. Anyone else aware of this? Is this being looked at? Seems like a pretty bad oversight…

2 Likes

It was …

2 Likes

it was…

I’m not surprised. I participated in beta for a while, but quickly decided it was a waste of time.

6 Likes

Does anyone know what the new quick yaml reload service is called?

I looked thru the list of reload services in the dev tools → services tab and I don’t see anything listed there that looks as if it might be the one.

The only one that looked close was ‘homeassistant.reload_all’ but I don’t think that’s it.

Either restart, all yaml or developer tools yaml.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean.

Pretty sure there is no service that does them all.

Nevermind. I found it.

It actually is the homeassistant.reload_all service I mentioned above.

from that PR:

Adds the homeassistant.reload_all service, which can be used to reload YAML configuration for all active domains.

The reason I didn’t think that was it was because I tested it and it didn’t work by just running it as the service call from the services page. I tested it by creating an input_boolean in yaml and ran that service and the input_boolean never showed up in the entities list.

But when I used the reload all yaml button in the yaml tab it did show up.

is it a bug or am I doing something else wrong?

Raised an issue on Github for this. I’m surprised no one else has commented…

EDIT: raised against Frontend here.

that’s an issue with the frontend, so the issue should be made on the frontend repo not the core repo

While I’m probably on the boat with others in regards to the new dialogs and how they’ve become a step backwards for user experience and accessability. I find having to navigate back and forth between two views to fine tune a brightness and colour highly counter-intuitive (it’s not always a matter of thinking a color then changing a brightness will acheive the result you’re after) getting the right result involves fine tuning both almost simultaneously.

But what bothers me more after playing around with WLED today, I noticed I can’t even see what effect is running or even if an effect is running unless i click the icon and scroll through the many options in the list. This I find is bad design.

I also don’t understand what happened to the way where you could set a custom more-info dialog for certain domain and entities from the customise yaml (I think it was there) but I can’t find any information on it anymore so I assume it’s been omitted a while ago.

1 Like

OK, link added above.

Thanks

It’s fixed in the 2023.4 version.

1 Like

…ignored. :grin:

Don’t complain yet, there is more in 2023.4 :slight_smile:

2023.4.0 released but i can’t find the community discussion on this release. The usual link at the bottom of the release notes isn’t there and google isn’t providing anything useful.

Any pointers appreciated.

1 Like

thanks Nick,

I was probably too eager. It updated the link on my other instance and is there now on my production system.

Thanks again

1 Like

I really don’t like that the new group feature doesn’t shows the entities in that group. There is plenty of unused space. And now we have to navigate multiple times back & forth to change color and brightness, it’s really a step back.

I REALLY hope you add an option to show entities in the group with on/off switch, like before. It was really intuitive.