2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs!

ā€¦and us Aussies too. Letā€™s be honest, you guys probably copied us. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Like Pavlova, Phar Lap, and all the other bollocks you stole. (You can keep Russell Crowe though). And can you identify any academic studies of ā€œYeah Nahā€ at Aussie Universities? Probably not, given the inherent contradiction in ā€œAustralian seat of higher learningā€

:wink:

@mirekmal, thatā€™s why I use the MariaDB add-on but solely for the HA history.

I use a strict naming convention for my entity IDs but because integrations like ZHA generate their own based on some bizarre internal scheme, adding new zigbee devices become a complex process in that once the new device is added, I then need to go in and manually rename all attributes to conform to this convention. I then need to use MySQL client to rename the state record entity IDs to conform to this convention and reconnect to history. A bit of a pain.

This was the case at least until 2023.4 as the HA developers have abandoned all standard conventions for using an RDBMS. Previously the Schema sensibly reflected the field naming and typing conventions. Now:

• Of the 27 fields in state 17 are always NULL. If you no longer use a field in a record then drop it from the schema and update the access logic accordingly.
  • Here are the last three records (non-null fields only):
MariaDB [homeassistant]> select state_id, state, old_state_id, attributes_id, last_updated_ts, hex(context_id_bin), metadata_id from states order by state_id desc limit 3;
+----------+-------+--------------+---------------+-------------------+----------------------------------+-------------+
| state_id | state | old_state_id | attributes_id | last_updated_ts   | hex(context_id_bin)              | metadata_id |
+----------+-------+--------------+---------------+-------------------+----------------------------------+-------------+
| 22103002 | 251   |     22102948 |       1692411 |  1682606106.03683 | 0187C323A5B4C638D373ED28E0038EE0 |          50 |
| 22103001 | 241   |     22102947 |       1692335 | 1682606104.809538 | 0187C323A0E9085035666CCDA7DF403A |          31 |
| 22103000 | on    |     22102998 |       1994667 | 1682606084.416874 | 0187C323514080109935301BEBAA55D7 |         164 |
3 rows in set (0.004 sec)
  • As you can see, all non-numeric/link info is encapsulated in a packed tinyblob. In practice this makes the DB unusable outside of the HA app, and quite honestly using a MariaDb pointless.
  • The statistics, statistics_runs and statistics_short_term tables have been similarly mangled.
2 Likes

@tom_l, I clearly seemed to have pissed you off somehow, as this is getting a touch ad-hominem If this is the case, then I apologise as this wasnā€™t my intention.

I welcome the goal of being able to recover a bricked HA system as a ā€œ15 minuteā€ job, but I also suggest that this is far from current reality. I would suggest that many if not most HA end users will use an RPi-class SBC sitting in an equipment rack or on a shelf next to their router, and most likely headless without monitor or keyboard attached or some sort of KVM. Few will be familiar using the Linux bash command line on a fully featured OS such as Debian, let alone on a minimal RO Buildroot one. If the system boots, but the supervisor doesnā€™t start up, then you also need to be familiar with jounalctl and the Docker CLI to try to diagnose why and what is failing.

As I said, I am one of the users who has sysadmin, docker, mysql, ā€¦ experience, so yes, I did ā€œwaste timeā€ trying to diagnose and recover so that I could log an evidence-based ticket, and yes I gave up.

So now I have a dead HA instance which is not easily recoverable and no HA CLI let alone HA GUI available, and with a full backup buried somewhere on one of the partitions that yet hasnā€™t been synced to my Google cloud storage, but which I need to extract before I can do a fresh reinstall and recovery. I now know to look in the /supervisor/backup folder on the hassos-data partition and to copy off the latest full backup tarball onto your Dev machine; reimage the device and do a full install, uploading this backup as per the documentation: RESTORING A BACKUP ON A NEW INSTALL. This all takes a couple of hours, even if I drop any attempts to workout why the upgrade failed or try other recovery paths. Or I switch to using a Proxmox VM.

2 Likes

potential bug: SmartMeter EDL21 Positive active energy total no longer supported

I did the upgrade to 2023.4.6. It took a couple of hours to upgrade a 2,6GB database that as a 15 days data recorder. All good just one issue which will be fixed soon already open:

Btw all iOS issues with frontend seems fixed as well. Keep the good work and ignore some non-constructive comments which seems to reflect more personal frustrations and miss expectations.

1 Like

Did you post an issue on githhub?

This is really helpful thanks.

Iā€™m still on 2023.3 here, how do you perform operations on the states table now? I used to rename entity_idā€™s too when switching out devices etc and manually manage some state data

1 Like

Iā€™ll post back if I figure a workaround, but when is another Q.

1 Like

I finally pulled the trigger and updated, lost most of my history anyway :slight_smile:

Probably not much point in me keeping 60 days of history with monthly hass updates :wink:

Someone posted here a link to a thread with a collection of custom templates made by Petro.
I am looking for a macro to convert a number of seconds to ā€œHH:MM:SSā€ format.
Surely it is not a super difficult task to program it, just wanted to use a ready good macro which was aready tested ))). And may be I will find this macro in that threadā€¦
Can someone share this link?

In hacs too :slight_smile:

Great thanks, Nick!

Hmm, cannot find my macro thereā€¦ Will keep looking.

OMG, turned to be super simple:
ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ

Thread here too Easy Time Macros for Templates!

1 Like

Late to the party but I upgraded to 2023.4.6 few hours before. Since than, the system load is going like crazy:

1 = last backup, normal
2 = normal operation with 2023.3.6
3 = the update itself to 2023.4.6
4 = after the update, what makes me feel really uncomfortable meanwhile

Database stuff should be finished already, at least the scheme update was done according to HA log (35 to 41), also few indices have been dropped. Database is < 3 GB, system is a Pi 4.

No idea what stresses the system that heavily. It meanwhile becomes close to unusable! Any ideas???

(edit: seems to have magically solved itself after few more hours, started to come down once my notebook disconnected from HA interestinglyā€¦ the 6 oā€™clock peak is from a scheduled recorder repack, after that back to normal as of nowā€¦)

According to 2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs! - Home Assistant

• Home Assistant now keeps history when renaming entities :metal:

Before:

1. sensor.entity with statistics
  2. Renamed sensor.entity to sensor.entity_old
  3. Created a new sensor.entity using the same name
  4. The new sensor.entity will have the full history (states and statistics) of the old sensor.entity

Now: doing the same results in a complete new history (states and statistics).

How to rename entities to actually preserve the old states + statistics?

It seems to be not possible anymore for an entity to inherit the history of another entity just based on the entity_id. I really need to solve this, otherwise this would be an actual step backā€¦ the entity_id swap workaround worked just perfectly before 2023.4!

When reading this first I thought thatā€™s exactly what this new feature does - instead after trying with a few entities, I lost all the history dataā€¦ :cry:

Edit: I think the core issue is when the old entity has itā€™s own unique_id set. One simply can not transfer unique_idā€™s to another entity, right?

EDIT 2: Outsourced to

1 Like

Interesting developmentā€¦ Iā€™ll need to keep an eye on this.

Are you in control of the new entity, i.e. did you create it or was it created by an integration? If you did, have you tried setting the unique ID for it (if supported)? Otherwise, you could try creating a wrapper template entity for which you can set a unique ID. I know these are workarounds, but itā€™s something to try.

The new entity was created by an integration. In detail the supervisor integration. I tried applying the former unique_id using customize.yaml, which had absolutely no effect.

Going the template wrapper entity path (if working at all) is way to ugly as it creates redundant entities for nothing :frowning:

Running into the exact same problem, how can i just replace one defect powerswitch and keep/migrate the energy history to that new switch.

1 Like

Letā€™s continue to find a solution for this @