2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to run the migration in Safe Mode and then disabled it afterwards or will that cause more problems?

hello
I cannot update to this software.
today my version is 2023.3.3 and I want to update this version 2023.4.2
the system is running in vm on NUC (intel )
I trying to update on ui but notting happened after I push the button to update,
the system is “performing an installation” and after 1 Minute I see the error
this is my error:

23-04-10 21:52:16 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can't install ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.4.2: 404 Client Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.41/images/ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.4.2/json: Not Found ("no such image: ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.4.2: No such image: ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.4.2")
23-04-10 21:52:16 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Updating Home Assistant image failed

plase help me!

Immediately restoring from backup previous (2023.3) version. This adds scrollbars to dashboards which wastes space and makes them look bad. Addon that allowed us to hide some HA elements from dashboard (such as “view all entities” and “assistant chat”) stopped working.

2 Likes

Can you open an issue for the bug you experienced ? Scrollbars should not be here if not needed.

someone else put a screenshot here 2023.4: Custom template macros, and many more new entity dialogs! - #29 by 0kk0

1 Like

I’m trying to update my SQL sensor queries and thought I had this working, but a couple of the sensors are now showing an Unknown value and my logs are full or errors:

Logger: homeassistant.components.sql.sensor
Source: components/sql/sensor.py:337 
Integration: SQL (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 13:56:18 (1966 occurrences) 
Last logged: 22:07:19

SELECT states.state FROM states WHERE state_id = ( SELECT states.old_state_id FROM states WHERE metadata_id = ( SELECT metadata_id FROM states_meta WHERE entity_id = 'input_boolean.person1_extended_away' ) AND old_state_id IS NOT NULL AND old_state_id NOT IN ('unknown', 'unavailable') AND last_updated_ts < UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY) ORDER BY state_id DESC LIMIT 1 ); returned no results
SELECT states.state FROM states WHERE state_id = ( SELECT states.old_state_id FROM states WHERE metadata_id = ( SELECT metadata_id FROM states_meta WHERE entity_id = 'input_boolean.person2_extended_away' ) AND old_state_id IS NOT NULL AND old_state_id NOT IN ('unknown', 'unavailable') AND last_updated_ts < UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY) ORDER BY state_id DESC LIMIT 1 ); returned no results

Here’s an example query, can anyone help?:

SELECT
  states.state
FROM
  states
WHERE
  state_id = (
    SELECT
      states.old_state_id
    FROM
      states
    WHERE
      metadata_id = (
        SELECT
          metadata_id
        FROM
          states_meta
        WHERE
          entity_id = 'input_boolean.person1_extended_away'
      )
      AND old_state_id IS NOT NULL
      AND old_state_id NOT IN ('unknown', 'unavailable')
      AND last_updated_ts < UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY)
    ORDER BY
      old_state_id DESC
    LIMIT
  );

Funny, that is exactly the integration that had me not working. That integration is pinning the dns import to an old version and breaking your other integrations. In my case, it broke 4 integrations. Remove minecraft and you’ll be good.

But aiodns 3.0.0 is the latest version

You guys don’t have a custom component for minecraft_server do you?

I don’t understand why the design for jinja includes and imports files required their being located under a specific directory tree, and not just anywhere relative to /config? Not that I’m complaining that much. Mostly curious.

I’ve got a home-grown openweather REST-based template sensor package for which I’m currently using sed to pre-process my includes since much of the sensors script is reused with different day and hour demarks.

Never noticed this before:

Logger: homeassistant.components.nmbs.sensor
Source: components/nmbs/sensor.py:299 
Integration: nmbs (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 08:09:35 (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 08:09:35

API failed in NMBSSensor

and more importantly, it blocks startup, quite seriously:

Logger: homeassistant.bootstrap
Source: bootstrap.py:499 
First occurred: 08:09:10 (2 occurrences) 
Last logged: 08:10:10

Waiting on integrations to complete setup: sensor.nmbs_3

finally:

Logger: homeassistant.components.nmbs.sensor
Source: components/nmbs/sensor.py:168 
Integration: nmbs (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 08:11:25 (3 occurrences) 
Last logged: 08:12:20

API failed in NMBSLiveBoard

which also give an idea of the delay this causes. Shouldnt this be done in the background and not block HA startup?
wonder if this is caused by the latest PRs on the attribute error?

I don’t know either. My function is merely to point out the docs to people who can’t be bothered reading them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can imagine why this was chosen. Every time you create features that can include something else you open a risk of allowing loop holes open to fish out other files. If some sneakey code can manage to include the secrets file or one of the config files is .storage you are not far from direct access to passwords. I think from a security design perspective that it is good that there is limitation in from where you can include what. Even the best attempts to prevent this can go wrong as coders are humans and mistakes will be made.

1 Like

Don’t like either, as many of us, but I think It wouldn’t make any difference, sadly…

2 Likes

Loving the jinja custom templates, but I have to click on “All Yaml Configuration” to update any changes which takes quite a while, wouldn’t it be best having them updated when you click “Template Entities” or have a separate item to reload custom templates only ?

2 Likes

Since the update to 2023.4 is the sidebar always visible on the iOS app
Any ideas why?

There is a service available for this: homeassistant.reload_custom_templates

2 Likes

A while back my initial reaction on the new UI when added mainly for lights only was positive. The new slider for intensity is easier to “catch” in a tough UI like on an iPad. The old tiny intensity slider was hard to pick and you easity hit something else. The old was surely in need of improvement and I am not against change.

But after living with it in real life and now having it in more items I hate it more than I love it

It is not the looks that is the problem. It is beautiful. But you always end up clicking and clicking and searching the minute you need more than change intensity or turn on and off.

Most of my on off are done either in picture_elements views or directly by clicking the switch on plain entity cards. I almost always have to do something more advanced if I actually click to open the dialog. Click and click and oops not there and click and clack and wack! The usability is just not good. The old was less pretty but much more efficient.

I am not to say how it should be. And we as a diverse group do not even agree. But there is a common theme in the complaints and rants. The initial window that opens should contain more controls, eg, light on/off, intensity, and colour tone. And the other features should be only 1 click more away. Only few bitch about the looks.

This youtube video says it in a brief and proper way. A relief to finally see a Youtuber brave enough to give a little push back to Home Assistant.

21 Likes

@TheHolyRoger update:
i found out what caused the issue… custom modules like button-card and also apexcharts…
They placed an tiny 50x50px div at the bottom of the page (positioned absolute) that caused double scrollbars…
Updated those and issue was fixed :+1:

i came too early with my conclusions thinking it was issue with new update… but more compatible issue…

Yeah issue is still there… You experience same thing?
I removed all custom sh!t… Disabled themes… cleared cache… and still sometimes got this issue.

Same on mobile/Chrome android… Scroll down… Header will stay on top(doesnt hide/scrolls away)
And complete at bottom of home assistant layout/page theres space missing

At the bottom theres still like the height of header is missing/that i cant see/cannot Scroll futher down…

1 Like

As much as I get what people are complaining about with the ‘more-info’ dialogs… I also don’t, because if you are always using ‘more-info’ dialogs to control your smart home you are doing Home Automation wrong.

2 Likes

I totally disagree :yum:

2 Likes